Windows 10: Need help setting up second drive to copy files to the primary.

Discus and support Need help setting up second drive to copy files to the primary. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; First I want to be sure where to plug in the sata cable. The primary drive is connected to "0". The DVD is connected to "1". "2" and "3" are open. Does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by theweav, Oct 11, 2017.

1. theweav Win User

Need help setting up second drive to copy files to the primary.

First I want to be sure where to plug in the sata cable. The primary drive is connected to "0". The DVD is connected to "1". "2" and "3" are open. Does it matter? Since I just want to copy some files to the primary, what do I need to do in Disk Management? My computer: Dell Inspiron 660, Windows 10. Thanks in advance for your help.

:)

theweav, Oct 11, 2017

2. How to default files to save to secondary hard drive in Windows 10?

I just bought a new PC with 2 hard drives - the primary is a 256 MB SSD and the secondary is 2T HD. I was told the computer would be set up to run OS and applications off the primary drive (SSD) and files would automatically be saved to the second drive
    (ie: Documents/Videos/Pictures/Music folders), but that is not how it's set up - everything is set to save automatically to the primary drive. How do I change this so that when I import music or save documents or upload pictures to those folders that it will
    be saving to the secondary drive? I've found this question in the Microsoft forum, but not related to Windows 10. I've tried making the change in Start > Settings > System and selecting the secondary drive for files types to save to a different drive. All
    this does is create a user folder with subfolders of Documents, Videos, Pictures, Music, but when I save files to "documents" instead of choosing the secondary drive and finding the folder on that drive, it still is saving to the primary drive. I tried right-clicking
    on the folders, going to the Location tab, changing the location to the secondary drive, but that doesn't work and seemed to mess some things up so I reset my computer to factory settings since it's new and I haven't transferred my old computer files to this
    new one yet.

HELP! I'm good enough with computers to follow instructions, but I can't find a good set of instructions to follow at this point.

Thanks!

AngelaC_918, Oct 11, 2017
  3. slance310 Win User
    Transfering Files from one Windows 10 computer to another Windows 10 computer both x64 bit

Hi,

It is possible, but can be more trouble than it's worth due to permissions issues, or needing to copy the files to a "Shared" location that would require you to copy them again elsewhere...

I pretty much gave up on that method... Now I just copy the files to a external drive, and then to the second machine... A side benefit to this is that you end up with backup files on the external drive to save, or later delete...

slance310, Oct 11, 2017
  4. Quexos Win User

Assuming it is not and external USB drive or something. It should not matter which port you plug into, especially if you're using AHCI and not the (very unlikely) old IDE mode (and even then all it would do is make it a master or slave according to the port). I'd just go with port 2, unless it's hard to reach or something. You should not have to do anything in device manager or disk management.

Basically, just shut off the PC, plug in the new drive to the SATA and a power cable (pay attention to the sideways L shape thingy in them for proper orientation). Then fire the PC back up and Windows should see the new drive and give it a letter, if it is already formatted, which I assume it is if you're trying to get files off of it.

On the off chance Windows pops up a message about "You must format this drive before use" FREEZE! DON'T do it. I have seen Windows do that thinking a formatted drive is blank for whatever reason. If you "format" it, you wipe out all data on it.

Quexos, Oct 11, 2017
  5. theweav Win User
    It's not showing up in "My PC" or in Disk Management. I double checked my wiring and all is correct and secure.

theweav, Oct 11, 2017
  6. spunk Win User
    Did you plug in the power plug from the PSU into the back of the drive?
    If so, boot into Setup (Bios) on the Main page you should see all of the drives on the computer, or it would be listed under Hard Drive Priority. If not, make sure the SATA port is enabled in the Bios. Then with the computer on, put your ear next to the HDD and hear if it is spinning. If the drive doesn't appear in the Bios, then it wont' appear anywhere else.

spunk, Oct 11, 2017
  7. theweav Win User
    Here is a shot of my Disk Management. The E Drive showing is my external drive.

Need help setting up second drive to copy files to the primary. [​IMG]

theweav, Oct 11, 2017
  8. Quexos Win User

What Spunk said. To get into the BIOS/UEFI, it varies, but reboot and press Delete during the boot (some are F8 or others too, and some display a screen with SETUP as an option like Spunk said, you might need to consult a manual). I would just sit there tapping DELETE about every 1 second because some boards are finicky at exactly what point in the post/boot process it is pressed. Once Windows is loading, it's too late, you missed it.

In the BIOS the setting you are looking for varies as well. Something about SATA ports, AHCI configuration, etc. Careful in there, but you're looking for 4-6 SATA/Drive ports to enable, if it is just one on/off option and not one for each port, don't fool with it. If this is the issue, you'll see 0 and 1 enabled/automatic and others disabled. It may call them 1 and 2 instead of 0 and 1 like on the main board itself...because...nerds.

0,1,2,3,4,5 on the main board
    1,2,3,4,5,6 in the BIOS...because @#$% is never confusing enough!

Quexos, Oct 11, 2017
  9. theweav Win User
    It showed up in boot manager. Got it going. Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

theweav, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Need help setting up second drive to copy files to the primary. - Similar Threads - Need help setting

2. I have set up File History with an external drive, but no files are being copied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have set up File History with an external drive, but no files are being copied: I recently got an external hard drive and I was hoping to be able to back up my files with some sort of version control system. File History seemed like a good option since it is possible to add additional folders and it appears to do everything I want it to do. I followed a...
  3. I have set up File History with an external drive, but no files are being copied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have set up File History with an external drive, but no files are being copied: I recently got an external hard drive and I was hoping to be able to back up my files with some sort of version control system. File History seemed like a good option since it is possible to add additional folders and it appears to do everything I want it to do. I followed a...
  4. Hey need help with changing my primary hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hey need help with changing my primary hard drive: I use a ssd for Windows and google but i wanna use my hard drive as my primary and make everything go in there when I download something is there anyway i can do this? submitted by /u/8ENJl [link] [comments]...
  5. Need help setting up bluetooth

Need help setting up bluetooth: I recently installed a wifi card that comes with Bluetooth. I’ve double check, made sure everything was plugged in nothing. I’ve also installed the drivers for the card and still nothing. So is there anything I can do to get Bluetooth to show up? submitted by /u/FuryYT...
  6. Need help setting up bluetooth

Need help setting up bluetooth: I recently installed a wifi card that comes with Bluetooth. I’ve double check, made sure everything was plugged in nothing. I’ve also installed the drivers for the card and still nothing. So is there anything I can do to get Bluetooth to show up? submitted by /u/FuryYT...
  7. Need help setting up bluetooth

8. Need help setting up bluetooth

9. Help with active primary drives.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help with active primary drives.: Can someone tell me if this looks normal? Just installed Win 10 and was about to rearrange some drive letters and thought it looked odd with so many drives labeled active and primary. [img] 115355
  10. Need Help with setting up Windbg

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Need Help with setting up Windbg: I seem to be suffering from a severe lack of knowledge and experience in this area. I am trying to read dump file created by Windows 10 but keep seeing errors about ntoskrnl.exe and symbol errors. I have gone through the tutorial by Golden. I notice the Executable search...