Windows 10: Need help switching between three monitors

Discus and support Need help switching between three monitors in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have my computer connected to three screens. Two 1080p monitors and a 4k TV. I want to use the two monitors for regular use, but switch over to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ShivaArgula, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Need help switching between three monitors

I have my computer connected to three screens. Two 1080p monitors and a 4k TV. I want to use the two monitors for regular use, but switch over to displaying on the TV for media consumption. Also, one of the two monitors I'm using is oriented vertically.

My monitors are as follows:

Monitor 1: DisplayPort 1080x1920 vertical on the right of my desk

Monitor 2: HDMI 1920x1080 horizontal on the left of my desk

Monitor 3: HDMI 3840x2160 TV

All three are plugged into my GPU, which has 2 DisplayPort outputs and 2 HDMI outputs.

For regular use, I want to use both monitor 1 and monitor 2, but NOT monitor 3, so I'd be using the "Extend" option in project settings.

And for media use, I want to use JUST monitor 3.

I also want the PC to recognize the horizontal monitor #2 as my primary monitor, but this is a trivial issue since I'll always be using both

Unfortunately I can only get Windows to recognize all 3 monitors at the same time for "Extend", my vertical monitor for "PC screen only", and my primary desk monitor for "Second screen only".

How can I seamlessly switch between the three monitors the way I want? Right now I'm compromising by having my second monitor horizontal and using software to emulate the two as a single ultrawide monitor, and both my desk monitors are currently recognized as "Monitor 1", with my TV as "Monitor 2", however this is not ideal as the UI and browser windows automatically open up over the whole width instead of just on one monitor.

:)

ShivaArgula, Aug 15, 2020

2. Monitor Primary monitor layout switches upon second monitor power off

Hi alts63,

One of the possible reasons why your primary monitor layout switches is that the rotation lock option is turned on. In order to turn that off and fix the issue, please follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key + A on your keyboard to open Action Center.
    2. Click the Expand button.
    3. Click the Rotation lock to turn it off.

Let us know the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Aug 15, 2020
  3. Trouble with 2 monitors

Hi Tim,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to change the settings to Extended Monitor and check if it helps.

Please follow below steps:

• Right Click any ware of the Desktop, and launch Personalization.
    • Go to dual monitor settings under personalization, and change it Extended Monitor.
    Please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Aug 15, 2020
  4. Sasqui Win User

Need help switching between three monitors

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Aug 15, 2020
Thema:

Need help switching between three monitors

1. Need help switching between three monitors - Similar Threads - Need help switching

2. Switching between more than 2 monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching between more than 2 monitors: Hello,I'm a sound engineer, using 3 monitors stacked one on top of the other, fits super nice to my needs.My main monitor is in the middle and I often use it alone, but sometimes I need the bottom one as well, some other times I need all 3 of them, meaning that I have 3...
  3. Switching between more than 2 monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switching between more than 2 monitors: Hello,I'm a sound engineer, using 3 monitors stacked one on top of the other, fits super nice to my needs.My main monitor is in the middle and I often use it alone, but sometimes I need the bottom one as well, some other times I need all 3 of them, meaning that I have 3...
  4. Three monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Three monitors: I am trying to connect two external "monitors" an old Vizio TV and an old Dell monitor to my laptop Windows 10 for a total of three monitors. The TV is connected to the laptop's HDMI port via an HDMI cable and the monitor is connected to the laptop's USB port via a VGA cable...
  5. Switching between Headphones and Speakers. Help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching between Headphones and Speakers. Help: Hey guys, im using speakers most of the time but switch to my headset when i want to talk to someone (DUH). I have my speakers plugged into the back of my pc and my headphones in the front/top in the specific headset port, now my problem is, that i always have to plug or...
  6. Three Computers But Only One Printer: Switching Between Question ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Three Computers But Only One Printer: Switching Between Question ?: Hi, Would appreciate any thoughts on this, please: Have an iMac, and two additional W10 PC's in study. But, only 1 Printer. Presently have a mechanical push-button switch box to select which one is to do the printing. Push-Buttons very flaky and un-relaible. Also, the...
  7. Three Computers But Only One Printer: Switching Between Question ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Three Computers But Only One Printer: Switching Between Question ?: Hi, Would appreciate any thoughts on this, please: Have an iMac, and two additional W10 PC's in study. But, only 1 Printer. Presently have a mechanical push-button switch box to select which one is to do the printing. Push-Buttons very flaky and un-relaible. Also, the...
  8. Input languages Have to switch between three languages instead of two

in Windows 10 Customization
    Input languages Have to switch between three languages instead of two: Hello everyone, I'm having an issue with having UK English in my language panel. The thing is that I tortured people from Microsoft Support and looked through, I think, every relevant topic. So, what I have here: [ATTACH] But there is nothing here: [ATTACH] The...
  9. Switching between three languages with macros

Switching between three languages with macros: Hello, guys! On my computer I use mainly my native language (Bulgarian) and English and I switch between them constantly. I started learning Japanese last year and there are instances where I need to use Japanese keyboard. My question is - is there any setting or a third...
  10. Switching between single and dual monitors

Switching between single and dual monitors: I have a dual monitor setup but often only need a single monitor. Windows does not recognize if the second monitor is off and will attempt to open apps and windows in the non existent second monitor forcing me to switch it on. Is this the default behavior and is there any way...