Windows 10: Need help to restore Excel file that was saved over

Discus and support Need help to restore Excel file that was saved over in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have saved over an excel file that I had saved in my documents in error. How can I restore or retrieve the file?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jackson2002, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Need help to restore Excel file that was saved over

I have saved over an excel file that I had saved in my documents in error. How can I restore or retrieve the file?

:)

jackson2002, Oct 21, 2020
  2. Alden Rey Win User

excel not auto recovering and manually saving

Hi,

The concern you have encountered with Excel not auto saving may be due to a corrupted file or a misconfigured setting.

May we ask if you have 3rd party software running when using Excel? If yes, we suggest to temporarily disable it to isolate the issue.

Any changes made on your computer prior to the issue?

Have you tried any possible troubleshooting steps? If yes, what are those steps and did you get any error messages?

You can turn-on the auto save option by the following steps:

• Open Excel
    • Go to File then Options
    • Under Save option, check the 'Save AutoRecovery information in every' option
    the best way to check when auto save is disabled is to hover over the toggle and read the reason that the popup tool tip identifies. Simply follow the steps provided in this

article

According to this
    article
    the autosave function will be disabled when the file is in the old file format .xls.

Kindly keep us posted with the results.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Oct 21, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Cannot save an excel file to any location on C:

It sounds like you have Ransomware Protection turned on in Windows Security. You can check to see if it has recently blocked your Excel. See Option One in this tutorial, at Step 5 click 'Recently blocked apps'. If Excel appears there, add it to the list of allowed apps.

Add or Remove Allowed Apps for Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10

4. Need help to restore Excel file that was saved over

Excel file

Hi zhiyang....,

I'm assuming that since you're using Excel 2011, that you have a Mac. Have you tried saving the file in the default 2011 format of XLSX?

While I have tested and can open both XLS and XLSX files on my Windows Phone, they were both created in PC versions of Excel 2000 and Excel 2010.

As a test, would you:

• First, try saving the file as XLSX and see if you can access the newer file format on your phone.

Otherwise, try the following as a test:

• Open up a web browser
    • Go to Windows Live and login.
    • Select "SkyDrive" at the top of the brwoser window
    • Select the Excel icon near the top where it says "Create"
    • Add a few numbers and do an AutoSum. Maybe add some formatting.
    • Close the workbook (File -> Close workbook)
    • Next, your SkyDrive file listing will appear with the new file.
    • Click the "i" circle to the far right of the new file.
    • Now, select "Send a link"
    • Enter your e-mail information and click "Send"
    • On your phone, open the e-mail and click on the button that says "View document"
    • You should be able to view the document.
    • If yes, then there is apparently a compatibilty issue on the Mac using XLS and I would try my first suggestion of trying to save the file in a different format like the newer XLSX.

By the way, the procedure gets easier in Windows Phone Mango (coming soon - no official release dates yet except in Japan) as you can save to and access files directly from your SkyDrive. That would eliminate the e-mailing it to yourself steps ... a lot easier!

I hope this helps!

David

David Scammell, Oct 21, 2020
Thema:

Need help to restore Excel file that was saved over

1. Need help to restore Excel file that was saved over - Similar Threads - Need help restore

2. Need help with Excel file that is corrupt. ASAP Plesae

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with Excel file that is corrupt. ASAP Plesae: i have a file that is extremely important to get back into and i am getting a corruption error. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-with-excel-file-that-is-corrupt-asap/9621d953-b101-4d1d-9823-b6012a4afaea
  3. Need help with Excel file that is corrupt. ASAP Plesae

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need help with Excel file that is corrupt. ASAP Plesae: i have a file that is extremely important to get back into and i am getting a corruption error. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-with-excel-file-that-is-corrupt-asap/9621d953-b101-4d1d-9823-b6012a4afaea
  4. Opening previous version of saved over Excel file not on OneDrive or SharePoint

Opening previous version of saved over Excel file not on OneDrive or SharePoint: Hi! Is there a way to open a previous version of an Excel file that has since been saved over? The 'Previous versions' tab is blank when I right click. However, I see the version I need when I open a blank Excel file and choose File; it appears in the Recent list. Thanks!...
  5. Opening previous version of saved over Excel file not on OneDrive or SharePoint

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening previous version of saved over Excel file not on OneDrive or SharePoint: Hi! Is there a way to open a previous version of an Excel file that has since been saved over? The 'Previous versions' tab is blank when I right click. However, I see the version I need when I open a blank Excel file and choose File; it appears in the Recent list. Thanks!...
  6. Opening previous version of saved over Excel file not on OneDrive or SharePoint

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Help needed with Excel Chart

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Help needed with Excel Chart: i can draw Excel Chart in Figure 1, but i want to add red circles to Excel Chart like shown in Fig 2 which i dont know how to do??????? [img] [img] 175569
  8. Need help with saving an .ahk file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help with saving an .ahk file: I just made an .ahk file for a game, but Windows is only giving me the option to save the file as a .txt file. How do I force Windows to save it as an .ahk file? submitted by /u/Hemlock-- [link] [comments]...
  9. Restore Excel file sheet

Restore Excel file sheet: Working in an Excel file I mistakenly deleted a "sheet" is it possible to restore it? I've looked in the Recycle Bin, I've tried "restore previous version." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-excel-file-sheet/7f8a11d4-0a49-45df-8396-c0d21791c1bc"
  10. excel files won't save.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    excel files won't save.: I can open an excel file but when I save, it can't access the folder.[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start-windows_10/excel-files-wont-save/cc2fe25e-6973-408c-a9f8-bd23118886e3