Windows 10: Need help transferring my Windows install to an SSD

Discus and support Need help transferring my Windows install to an SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey guys. So here's my situation: I have like 200gb worth of files on my current harddrive and I recently bought a 500gb SSD. I'd like to basically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MaGlCMaN, Nov 20, 2016.

1. MaGlCMaN Win User

Need help transferring my Windows install to an SSD

Hey guys. So here's my situation: I have like 200gb worth of files on my current harddrive and I recently bought a 500gb SSD. I'd like to basically clone my Windows install and all of my files onto the new SSD.
    I researched how to do this and learned that a good thing to try is migrating everything over by using a program like Clonezilla or something similar. I tried doing this a while back with a couple different programs and both failed during the transferring process.
    Both programs gave me some kind of error. I can't remember exactly what the error said but basically I don't want to try this method anymore and I have an idea but I'm not sure if it will work.
    Here's my idea:

• Set my SDD up to where I have 2 partitions on it.
    • I've read that it is possible to create a "backup image" file of my Windows install somehow, so I can learn how to make one of those.
    • Place the backup image of Windows that I make onto the first partition of the SSD.
    • Uninstall / deactivate my current HDD install of Windows and do a fresh install onto the 2nd partition of the SSD.
    • Restore the backup image file I created and hopefully, voila - I have everything exactly the same again but just on the new SSD.
    If anyone with experience in doing stuff like this could give me their two cents, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

:)

MaGlCMaN, Nov 20, 2016

2. Upgrading a Windows 10 Laptop from HD to SSD.

Hi Ratnam,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

Are you using both the hard drives or do you want to completely transfer all the data and OS from HD to SSD?

If you need to transfer everything then you need to install OS on SSD and transfer the data from HD to SSD.

• You need to have a product key for Windows 7, then create an installation media using the download link.
      Download Windows 10:Download Windows 10
    • Later install Windows 10 on SSD and activate it using the product key.
    • Then transfer (Copy and paste) the data from HD to SSD.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Nov 20, 2016
  3. Fresh install of Windows 10 on SSD without losing data?

That's very helpful! Thank you. So just to be clear: since I'm trying to do a clean install on the ssd that already has windows on it, I would just need to transfer personal files over to my hdd and then disconnect my hdd before performing the install?
    Would I also have to disconnect my other ssd if I did not want to lose the files on that one?

ErnestoMercado, Nov 20, 2016
  4. LOTN Win User

5. MaGlCMaN Win User
    Crucial MX300 2.5" 525GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I think I threw away the packaging for it so I can't look *Sad But I really don't think there was any info with it about migrating but maybe there was...??

Hmm, well I will check out that link you posted. Hopefully I will be able to use that method. Thanks

MaGlCMaN, Nov 20, 2016
  6. LOTN Win User
    good luck. if that doesn't do it for you just holler and i or someone should be able to help.

7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, here's a basic sequence of how to do this: (it's been written up on a number of threads here)
    1. Use e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) to image your existing Windows partition to an external disk. Create Macrium's boot medium for security.
    2. Set your BIOS to use AHCI not IDE for your SSD. Remove your HDD and insert your SSD.
    3. Clean install Windows to your (blank) SSD, and make sure the Windows partition is large enough.
    4. Restore the image of only your previous Windows partition in place of your new Windows partition
    5. Using Win 10 boot medium run Startup Repair.

At least that's near enough what I did. I think there's also a feature in Macrium some have mentioned I don't recall without looking that deals with (5).

This gives you the correct set of Windows partitions.

dalchina, Nov 20, 2016
  8. bobkn Win User

I think that the easiest way to transfer would be to use cloning software.

Crucial offers a version of Acronis True Image:

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-...15/ta-p/171023

I haven't used this. My last cloning was with a Samsung SSD and their "Magician" software. (I may have had to run disk cleanup and chkdsk before the cloning would complete. I also disconnected the laptop from the network.)

bobkn, Nov 21, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    This is what I would do, you will need an 8 GB USB flash drive:

1. Prepare the USB flash drive for booting:
    Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

At step 9, make sure to use FAT32 file system to make it compatible with UEFI:
    To format the partition, type format fs=fat32 quick, and then click ENTER.

At step 12, mount the Windows 10 installation ISO file and copy all the files and folders over from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive. I prefer to download Windows 10 ISO files from here:
    Windows 10 ISO

2. Convert the Windows 10 USB flash drive to boot into Kyhi's recovery drive, see my quote in the middle of the OP here:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

3. Disconnect your old HDD and have only the new SSD connected to the computer, make sure your UEFI/BIOS is set for AHCI for the SATA controllers and not IDE. Boot from the USB flash drive into Kyhi's Recovery Tools. Use the partition manager program (AEOMI Partition Manager) to delete all the existing partitions on the SSD and initialize it as GPT. Run setup.exe from the USB flash drive to do a clean install of Windows 10 onto the SSD.

4. Make sure the computer boots from the SSD, then shut down the computer.

5. Reconnect your old HDD. Boot the computer again from the USB flash drive into Kyhi's Recovery Tools. Run the Macrium Reflect program. "Clone" the operating system partition only from the HDD to the OS partition on the SDD, resizing it in the process. After the copying is done, under the restore menu find the utility to fix Windows startup problems. Run that to attach the copied OS partition to the boot files on the SSD.

6. Boot the computer from the SSD.

NavyLCDR, Nov 21, 2016
  10. MaGlCMaN Win User
    Thanks for the replies guys, but I've already tried using "cloning software" like Macrium Reflect and Clonezilla. Both gave me errors during the process and it couldn't be completed. I think my hdd might have some bad sectors or something? So yea, I really need to figure out a way to do this without using cloning software, if possible :/

MaGlCMaN, Nov 21, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can try fixing the files on your old hard drive by right clicking on start icon, select Command Prompt (Admin) and enter:

chkdsk C: /offlinescanandfix

Assuming you are booted into Windows from the hard drive.

NavyLCDR, Nov 21, 2016
  12. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Nov 21, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

How did your attempt to create an image fail? The error message could be instructive. Certainly you can't create an image from a drive with read errors.

Check your SMART parameters - e.g. Crystal Diskinfo (free)
    Try Macrorit Diskscanner (free)

These will give you a quick idea as to whether your disk is viable.

dalchina, Nov 21, 2016
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi folks

an easy way also is to get a USB2/3--->SATA connector so you can do the entire install to your SSD as an external drive and then simply install the new ssd and re-boot.

Connect the new ssd to a USB2/3 port via the connector for the CLONE operation.

Need help transferring my Windows install to an SSD [​IMG]

on a 500GB SSD simply CLONE your old HDD (Free macrium is probably the easiest)

Now with a partition manager or similar increase the size of the partition on the new ssd to what you need.

This is one of the rare cases I'd recommend CLONE over IMAGE - with image in this case you need to image and restore - not forgetting system reserved partitions - and this is fiddly when simply using one HDD as you'll need to create a separate partition for the IMAGE.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need help transferring my Windows install to an SSD - Similar Threads - Need help transferring

2. HDD replaced with SSD, need to transfer my license to new SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    HDD replaced with SSD, need to transfer my license to new SSD: Hi,As my laptop is old and getting slow, i decided to install the HDD to it, but the problem is how do i transfer my windows license to it, as it came in pre-installed in the laptop, and I do not have the product key.Any help would be appreciated.Regards,Tushar...
  3. New ssd, need help on how to transfer stuff

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New ssd, need help on how to transfer stuff: Following starting position: I had a ssd hdd setup with the ssd being only 110 GB and (supposed) reserved for Windows. Now it's completly full to the point I can't open an excel file. I bought a new ssd a while ago which I want to install now. Two questions: is 110 GB enough...
  4. Need help on a fresh install of windows on and SSD

Need help on a fresh install of windows on and SSD: Hi Reddit, This is my first post. Guess I'll be Stuck here forever! Currently upgrading my girlfriend's laptop from a HDD to SSD. Hers is an Acer laptop where mine is an old Sony vaio (use for engineering) where I already completed a windows install myself. My question is...
  5. transfering my installation to an SSD

transfering my installation to an SSD: so I've been trying to transfer windows 10 to my new SSD (upgrading from hard drive), I tried macrium reflect to clone my drive however that kept giving me errors, all of the other cloning software I've seen says it costs money to clone my drive and the free versions only do...
  6. Need Help With Transferring

Need Help With Transferring: Hi! I have Ubuntu Linux currently installed on my PC witch is compatible for windows 10. I have a place where I am going to get my Windows 10 OS wicth will come as a code that I put in?? The description says something about an activation code and that its a single license....
  7. Need help regarding cloning/partition/transfer to a new SSD

Need help regarding cloning/partition/transfer to a new SSD: Hello guys. tomorrow, I'll be adding a new SSD to my laptop (SSD to the main disk drive and the old HDD to the optical(CD) drive, comment if anything is wrong over here) anyways, I am wondering about whether or not to make partition beforehand with only and only windows OS...
  8. I need help transferring windows 10 to a new SSD

I need help transferring windows 10 to a new SSD: My old Hard drives got corrupted and I have new a new 1tb ssd coming today. Is there any way that I could clone only the os to the new ssd without also transferring the corrupted files? submitted by /u/mrawesome320 [link] [comments]...
  9. About to install Windows 10 to SSD, need help

About to install Windows 10 to SSD, need help: I got a USB and it's ready to install Windows 10 to the SSD. However, I'm not exactly understanding what it means when installing Windows 10 will wipe my data. I'm planning on keeping my HDD around and using the SSD for gaming reasons, and also wanting to boot up my PC...
  10. Need help on transferring Windows 10 to new SSD

Need help on transferring Windows 10 to new SSD: Just bought a 500GB m.2 ssd to replace my current 128GB drive. I created an image of my 128GB m.2 SSD using Macrium reflect and it is already saved on my second hard drive (1tb HDD). My laptop only has 1 m.2 slot. How can I restore the image of the 128GB ssd to my 500GB ssd...