Windows 10: Need help troubleshooting randomly occurring unresponsiveness and locking up of PC

Discus and support Need help troubleshooting randomly occurring unresponsiveness and locking up of PC in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello community, since roughly September 2020 I am experiencing a randomly occurring issue with my PC Win 10 Pro 20H2, 19042.867, fully patched.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by [-Stefan-], Mar 15, 2021.

1. Need help troubleshooting randomly occurring unresponsiveness and locking up of PC

Hello community,

since roughly September 2020 I am experiencing a randomly occurring issue with my PC Win 10 Pro 20H2, 19042.867, fully patched. Randomly occurring means in this case sometimes hours, sometimes days, sometimes weeks. Interestingly, this PC ran for roughly 2 years without any issue; it only started around September 2020.

Here is what's happening:

I am mostly using my PC at the moment for browsing the internet, working in MS Office and watching some Netflix shows. Rarely gaming these days.

However, sometimes, running programs such as Firefox, Windows, Excel, Outlook etc. become increasingly unresponsive, meaning at the beginning, I might even close a tab, or quit a program, but soon they do not react to clicking any buttons, can no longer be closed neither by clicking the "X" nor by using the Task Manager.

At some point I can only use the Reset Switch as powering down also no longer works. I can use the Start Menu and click on "Restart", "Hibernate" etc, but nothing happens. If I happen to be lucky and start a new program sometimes this works, I typically do not see an icon in the Task Bar; I can only see the lightblue "underline".

It seems the PC is -at some point- no longer remembering changes; example: I close some tabs on Firefox, PC locks up; I reboot, restart Firefox, but the recently closed tabs are back.

Also, when this issue happens, I can hear the fans of my AIO cooler turning up a little; it is like my control program is no longer working.

I really cannot pinpoint what exactly is causing the problem, as the Event Viewer does not show any issue; it only shows "Windows has shut down unexpectedly" roughly translated from German.

The whole system has been reinstalled twice, once including all mainboard drivers, once only with the onboard drivers from Windows. No difference.

SFC /SCANNOW has been completed without issues. Same goes for the usual DISM commands. Memtest has completed without errors.

It would be great if you could lend me a hand here; I really have no idea where to start.

:)

[-Stefan-], Mar 15, 2021

2. Computer Randomly locks up

Ok, so my dads pc (its in sp) completely randomly locks up.

Im not sure what the deal is.

it was working fine, i swapped boards and it game me a memory error but no big deal, fixed that. now, it locks up a few times a day, whether it is in the bios, or post screen, windows, trying to format windows ect.

Im not sure what to do! if its the board i'll rma it and give him "back" the P45 but if its ram or hdd idk...

what do you suggest?

freaksavior, Mar 15, 2021
  3. Lock Screen Randomly Changes

Hi John,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to go to the lock screen settings and disable the automatic lock screen change and check if the issue persist.

To test the issue I suggest you to create a new user account and restart the computer and check whether you can find other new user account.

I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    • Select add someone else on this PC.
    • Enter a user name and hit next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Mar 15, 2021
  4. Need help troubleshooting randomly occurring unresponsiveness and locking up of PC

PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Mar 15, 2021
Thema:

Need help troubleshooting randomly occurring unresponsiveness and locking up of PC

1. Need help troubleshooting randomly occurring unresponsiveness and locking up of PC - Similar Threads - Need help troubleshooting

2. Help to troubleshoot BSODs occurring daily

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help to troubleshoot BSODs occurring daily: I have been dealing with regular BSODs with various error codes for a week now and not able to pinpoint the root cause. The only major change before this happened are as below:Swapped my primary monitor 1080p 144hz to secondary, and bought a new monitor AW2721D as the new...
  3. Help to troubleshoot BSODs occurring daily

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Help to troubleshoot BSODs occurring daily: I have been dealing with regular BSODs with various error codes for a week now and not able to pinpoint the root cause. The only major change before this happened are as below:Swapped my primary monitor 1080p 144hz to secondary, and bought a new monitor AW2721D as the new...
  4. Help to troubleshoot BSODs occurring daily

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. PC Locking up/becoming unresponsive randomly

PC Locking up/becoming unresponsive randomly: GPU: RTX 2060 Super CPU: Ryzen 7 3800xRAM: 32g Corsair MoBo: MSI x570 Recently I have been having an issue where my computer will begin to become unresponsive. At first I thought that it was totally at random but I have narrowed it down to when I am watching a youtube video....
  6. PC loses internet randomly - help needed to troubleshoot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PC loses internet randomly - help needed to troubleshoot: I have this setup at home: ISP Modem/Router (in bridge mode) - Asus RT-AX86U (router) - Ethernet Cable (approx 3m/10ft) - Desktop PC (Win10) During the last couple of weeks my PC has started to lose internet connection. The problem disappears after a reboot. It has happened...
  7. Random BSOD, need help troubleshooting

Random BSOD, need help troubleshooting: Hello, I put my first computer together almost 2 months ago. In the more recent month have had 3 BSOD's. They are not close together, usually at least a week apart. If this is the wrong place to ask please let me know. My set up is as follows: OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit...
  8. Random Crashes With No BSOD Need Help Troubleshooting

Random Crashes With No BSOD Need Help Troubleshooting: Before I get into the problem, my specs are as follows: Motherboard: Asus Strix X 570 F CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 usually auto boosting to 4.2ghz. My CPU is also being cooled by a corsair AIO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 2080 non-oc model and no overclock has been administered on the...
  9. BSOD troubleshooting Need help troubleshooting

BSOD troubleshooting Need help troubleshooting: Hi Microsoft Team, On the past 3 days, I have 3 BSOD. Attached is the minidump & MSINFO of my computer: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqAhNMuZyKrSiCyw3z3Bn0Gex3Mz?e=kVkDP1 Regards, Michael...
  10. PC Randomly locks up and freezes

PC Randomly locks up and freezes: Hey guys, first off I hope you all had a great Xmas and New Year... So since the update for windows that's recently dropped, I keep having random crashes, well more of a freeze, I can still see everything on the screen but nothing will respond I have to power my system...