Windows 10: Need help trying to encrypt a folder

Discus and support Need help trying to encrypt a folder in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm using the built in encryption method. I set up an encryption key, set the security level to high, and chose my password. On my folder I went to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by nights, Apr 17, 2017.

1. nights Win User

Need help trying to encrypt a folder

I'm using the built in encryption method. I set up an encryption key, set the security level to high, and chose my password. On my folder I went to advanced settings and selected the 'encrypt contents to secure data' option.
    It then asks for my smart card PIN. I don't know what that is nor is there any option to input it. There's just a cancel button.

What did I do wrong?

:)

nights, Apr 17, 2017

2. I am looking for a Windows 10 register cleaner of repair.

Hi Ronald,

The files or folder that you're trying to back up could be encrypted that is why you're getting this error message. You may need to locate the encrypted files. Please go to each folder and check if it is encrypted by
    EFS (Encrypting File System). The encrypted file has a green file name.

Kindly get back to us with the outcome.

Ronalene Mat, Apr 17, 2017
  3. Gino Des Win User
    Why can't I encrypt folders on windows 10

Hi Benny,

Encrypting a certain file or folder is probably the best way to keep it safe, so only you can access that file or folder. Please note that file encryption is not available in
    Windows 10 Home. If you continue to experience issues encrypting folders, we would like to know the following information to help us get to the bottom of this issue:

• Do you receive any error messages when encrypting a file or Folder?
    • Are you using the built-in encryption method or a third-party encryption tool?
    • Do you receive any error messages when trying to encrypt a folder? If yes, what is the exact error message?
    • What is the build and version of your Windows installation?

In the meantime, you may refer to the following link on how to encrypt a file in Windows 10:

How to encrypt a file
    . Additionally, make sure that you are using an Administrator account when encrypting files and folders.

Looking forward to your reply.

Gino Des, Apr 17, 2017
Thema:

Need help trying to encrypt a folder

1. Need help trying to encrypt a folder - Similar Threads - Need help trying

2. Need help with encrypted folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with encrypted folders: I have a bit of an issue that I'm still kicking myself for... I lost access to some encrypted folders when I reinstalled Windows last week. These things happen sometimes... but what I'd like to know is what possible courses of action could restore my access to these...
  3. Need help with encrypted folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help with encrypted folders: I have a bit of an issue that I'm still kicking myself for... I lost access to some encrypted folders when I reinstalled Windows last week. These things happen sometimes... but what I'd like to know is what possible courses of action could restore my access to these...
  4. Need help with encrypted folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Folder Encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder Encryption: Hello,I HAVE administrator rights on my account, but the option to "encrypt contents to secure data" is greyed out. I have gone through the steps in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to enable encryption. It still will not let me encrypt a folder. Why not? All other forums about this issue...
  6. Folder Encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder Encryption: Hello,I HAVE administrator rights on my account, but the option to "encrypt contents to secure data" is greyed out. I have gone through the steps in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to enable encryption. It still will not let me encrypt a folder. Why not? All other forums about this issue...
  7. Folder Encryption

Folder Encryption: Hi, I tried to encrypt a folder to lock it but under the Compress or Encrypt attributes tab the Encrypt Contents to secure data tab is grayed out and I can't click it. Please help-Thanks...
  8. help! my files and folders are encrypted -

help! my files and folders are encrypted -: Please help. i cannot read my work. there are little green symbols against my file names and the contents are encrypted. how do i remove this process set as default and how do i recover my encrpted folders and files? thankyou...
  9. Folder Encryption.

Folder Encryption.: Hello Microsoft Community, I want to encrypt a folder on my computer, but i am finding it impossible to do so. I first went to the folder, and selected, Properties/General/Advanced, but the option to encrypt the folder was grayed out. I then looked on the internet for a...
  10. Error "you need administrator privileges" while trying to encrypt a folder in Windows 10...

Error "you need administrator privileges" while trying to encrypt a folder in Windows 10...: Dear folks, - For several hours I'm trying to encrypt a folder in Windows 10 Professional with Windows' built-in encryption tools. - My users account-type is administrator. - The ownership of the folder is assign to my user. - It's just a folder in D:\ (so not a...