Windows 10: Need Help trying to set up dual boot into windows 7&10 on single ssd

Discus and support Need Help trying to set up dual boot into windows 7&10 on single ssd in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello forums, I am a bit stuck in the process of setting up a dual boot and am now questioning whether or not its even possible under my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by excusemebruh, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Need Help trying to set up dual boot into windows 7&10 on single ssd

Hello forums,

I am a bit stuck in the process of setting up a dual boot and am now questioning whether or not its even possible under my circumstances. So I've been looking up a bunch of different ways on how to dual boot and I'm gonna give the steps that I've taken and where i'm stuck:

1- downloaded windows 10 media creation tool Windows 10
    2- ran windows 10 media creation tool and installed it on usb drive
    3- used disk manager to shrink my 256gb ssd and make a 30gb partition
    4- rebooted computer in order to install windows 10
    4.5- ran into some error in which my product was not being accepted (found out this is some sort of bug being fixed apparently)
    5- clicked skip on product key page
    6- upon clicking on the unallocated partition that i chose to install the os on I am greeted with this error message "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected drive has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed on GPT disks."

So that's pretty much where I'm stuck and I'm not sure how to fix it. I've read that one work around is to reformat the entire drive but that seems like a large hassle since I'm trying to set up a dual boot. Now I have a couple of questions :

-is there a work-around for this that doesn't require me to reformat the entire drive?
    -Since i have a copy reserved in the little application on my desktop, will that allow me to set up a dual boot without reformatting(which pretty much means i just wait)?
    -Is it even possible to dual boot on the same hard drive since i have heard that upgrading gets rid of your windows 7 product key and gives you a new windows 10 one

PS: sorry for the long post lol and thanks to anyone that can help

:)

excusemebruh, Aug 1, 2015

2. Dual Boot

I had to migrate my data to a larger SSD disk from a smaller one.

I started with a 250GB SSD and I migrated that data onto a Samsung Evo 840 500GB SSD.

The migration went well, so it seemed.

However, prior to doping this, I had a dual boot system. I had Windows 10 and also Windows 7.

It no longer gives me a choice to boot from 10 or 7.

I found a command line recommended to activate dual boot at start up. I did that and got the prompt, but it only showed Windows 10 as a choice and not 7.

I believe my Windows 7 install is on a separate
    non SSD hard disk.

How can i get the dual boot option back?

Thank-you very much for your help.

MusicFusion, Aug 1, 2015
  3. dazzagil Win User
    Problems with Windows 10 Multi Boot with Win7 & win 8

Hi

Prior to upgrading to windows 10 I could dual boot between windows 8 and windows 7. Following the upgrade om the Win 8 O/s Ifound that I could get into win 7. Therefore I got the installation iso for windows 10 and decided to do a full clean install of
    all O/S.

System is a dual BIOS provided by Gigabytr and is set with Uefi and Legacy and CSM is set to Always. Also have 2 SSD 256GB Scandisk and 120 Cosair.

Steps taken below

WINDOWS 7 Installation

First attempted to set up Windows 7 using GPT. This get through the first stage of installation copying files of DVD and at the first restart it throws up an error that some hardware charge has caused an exception and that \Windows\System32\winload.efi
    is missing

Next Attempt was to instal as MBR worked ok system setup correctly. Onto windows 8 Installation

WINDOWS 8

u

Installed windows 8 on to Cosair HHD using GPT worked ok, however could not dual boot into windows 7 used EASY BCD to try and get it to load Windows 7. Ended up with the EFI Blue screen with Windows 8 and Windows 7 however on tapping windows 7 go the exception
    as shown in first attempt.

Installed Windows 8 as MBR on scandisk SSD worked ok and could dual boot with Windows 7. So to Install window 10

WINDOWS 10 Installation

Installed Windows 10 on Cosair SSD using gpt installs ok . however cannot find windows 7 or 8 to boot from.. Used Marcium Reflect erepair disc to fix boot manager. The boot manager shows all 3 O/S windows 10 and * worked fine however on clicking Windows
    7. Get the exception rule.

My Questions are

1 how can I get my boot manager to load windows 7 correctly through the EFI boot system.

2 How can I get Windows 7 to install in GPT mode

I've tried it several times with my system set to UEFI and with my DVD set to UEFI mode and every time I run set up I get to the first restart and it throws an exception error ( I know it can be installed in GPT) yes read all the articles on GPT and windows

I am now at the statge of banging my head against a wall trying to get this problem sorted

Thanks for your help in advance

dazzagil, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

Need Help trying to set up dual boot into windows 7&10 on single ssd

1. Need Help trying to set up dual boot into windows 7&10 on single ssd - Similar Threads - Need Help trying

2. Dual Boot Windows 10 on single SSD with pooled partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Boot Windows 10 on single SSD with pooled partition: Hiya folks!I have a Panasonic windows tablet that I’d like to set up like this:2 Windows 10 installs on separate partitions on a single SSD, with access to a 3rd partition for file storage. I’d like each Windows to be able to use the files/data on the 3rd partition as if it’s...
  3. Dual Boot Windows 10 on single SSD with pooled partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Boot Windows 10 on single SSD with pooled partition: Hiya folks!I have a Panasonic windows tablet that I’d like to set up like this:2 Windows 10 installs on separate partitions on a single SSD, with access to a 3rd partition for file storage. I’d like each Windows to be able to use the files/data on the 3rd partition as if it’s...
  4. Dual Boot Windows 10 on single SSD with pooled partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Trying to dual boot Windows 7

Trying to dual boot Windows 7: I'm trying to dual boot Windows 7 on my Windows 10 machine. I have the partition all set up on my drive and in the bios I have Secure Boot disabled and Legacy enabled,it has UEFI. When I boot with the Windows disk in the machine using the machines CD player it will not boot...
  6. Trying to dual boot Windows 7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Trying to dual boot Windows 7: I'm trying to dual boot Windows 7 on my Windows 10 machine. I have the partition all set up on my drive and in the bios I have Secure Boot disabled and Legacy enabled,it has UEFI. When I boot with the Windows disk in the machine using the machines CD player it will not boot...
  7. dual monitor set up need help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    dual monitor set up need help: How to drag and drop between laptop and another monitor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-monitor-set-up-need-help/310b8514-da68-4821-81a5-249d27843d62
  8. setting up Win 7/Win 10 dual-boot

setting up Win 7/Win 10 dual-boot: Hello everybody, So I'm really out of ideas when it comes to this, but let me try to explain the situation really quick and simple. I have a laptop, running Win 7 Pro x64 on a mSATA SSD 60GB drive (let's call it drive A). The other hard disk on my laptop is a 1TB...
  9. Issues trying to set up Dual boot with Win 7 Pro

Issues trying to set up Dual boot with Win 7 Pro: Using the tutorial you have provided, I attempted to set up a dual boot configuration using my existing Win 7 Pro on a Samsung SSD drive, and a clean install of Win 10 Pro on a fresh Kingston SSD drive. I created bootable Windows 10 installation USB, reset the UEFI Bios boot...
  10. Need help dual-booting Windows 10 with Windows 7

Need help dual-booting Windows 10 with Windows 7: Hi, I would like to dual-boot Windows 10 alongside with Windows 7. I am currently running Windows 7 with Ubuntu and PhoenixOS. Now I am planning to replace PhoenixOS (which is taking 20GB separate partition) with Windows 10. So I need help to get windows 10 installed with...