Windows 10: Need help understanding my Raid/ahci bios options

Discus and support Need help understanding my Raid/ahci bios options in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have something I don't understand and my story is a little long so bear with me. I recently set up a Dell Precision T3600 workstation which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by lgentry, Sep 24, 2019.

1. lgentry Win User

Need help understanding my Raid/ahci bios options

I have something I don't understand and my story is a little long so bear with me. I recently set up a Dell Precision T3600 workstation which is working with a ssd boot drive (on sata3 port 1 (my optical drive is on sata3 port 0) and a hdd storage drive which is on sata2 port. In bios I have it set to operate in ahci mode but after the fact I also discovered that there is another option set in bios which is raid (sata mode) Originally I installed the intel chipset drivers as well as Intel RST. After doing a lot of reading about how the RST drivers cause so many problems I changed my ahci driver over to Microsoft standard ahci controller. I then went into bios and disabled raid sata mode. When I booted back into windows it would no longer see my storage hdd. Help me to understand why this is. This same secondary hdd worked find in my old system which had no raid and operated in ahci mode. I don't mind leaving it like it is as long as it works with no problems but is using a combination of both standard MS and intel drivers to control my hard drives a good idea? My thought is that this has something to do with the fact that this is a server PC but having no experience nor complete understanding of RAID I am not sure. Is it ok to run this configuration and if not how do I get the PC to recognize the secondary HDD with RAID disabled?

:)

lgentry, Sep 24, 2019
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

Assuming you don't have any data on the secondary HDD that you need to keep....

With 1 SSD and 1 HDD in the computer, your SATA controller mode should be set to AHCI. If you changed from RAID to AHCI, then you will need to repartition the HDD. For your SATA AHCI driver, you should be using the driver specific to the chipset of your motherboard rather than the generic Windows 10 AHCI driver:

Need help understanding my Raid/ahci bios options [​IMG]

If you do have data on the HDD you need to keep, then you will need to set it back to RAID, with the RAID driver it had before. Back up the data. Reset your SATA controller to AHCI, create a new partition on the secondary HDD, then restore the data back to it.

NavyLCDR, Sep 24, 2019
  3. lgentry Win User

I have something I don't understand and my story is a little long so bear with me. I recently set up a Dell Precision T3600 workstation which is working with a ssd boot drive (on sata3 port 1 (my optical drive is on sata3 port 0) and a hdd storage drive which is on sata2 port. In bios I have it set to operate in ahci mode but after the fact I also discovered that there is another option set in bios which is raid (sata mode) Originally I installed the intel chipset drivers as well as Intel RST. After doing a lot of reading about how the RST drivers cause so many problems I changed my ahci driver over to Microsoft standard ahci controller. I then went into bios and disabled raid sata mode. When I booted back into windows it would no longer see my storage hdd. Help me to understand why this is. This same secondary hdd worked find in my old system which had no raid and operated in ahci mode. I don't mind leaving it like it is as long as it works with no problems but is using a combination of both standard MS and intel drivers to control my hard drives a good idea? My thought is that this has something to do with the fact that this is a server PC but having no experience nor complete understanding of RAID I am not sure. Is it ok to run this configuration and if not how do I get the PC to recognize the secondary HDD with RAID disabled?

lgentry, Sep 24, 2019
  4. AlexCTZ Win User

Converting SATA to AHCI from RAID

So I should first use Optimize Defaults, then change the registry files and then go into BIOS again and change it from RAID to AHCI?

AlexCTZ, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Need help understanding my Raid/ahci bios options - Similar Threads - Need help understanding

2. How to change from raid to ahci?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change from raid to ahci?: Hi , I want to change my sata ssd controller form raid to ahci.. I watched many solutions , all of them told to boot to safe mode and then enter bios to change raid to achi.. But the problem is that i am having a laptop where the bios is only having simple settings , no...
  3. AHCI or RAID?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    AHCI or RAID?: Hi there, I am about to install Windows 10 onto a single 4.0 NVMe M.2 as a clean installation and I want to know if I should set the SATA control to AHCI or RAID? This is not a RAID set up just one single 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD card. Thank you, Robert....
  4. Switched from RAID to AHCI in BIOS and lost reboot abilities

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Switched from RAID to AHCI in BIOS and lost reboot abilities: I have MSI Titan GT80 SLI running latest Win10... actually two of them configured nearly identically. Both came with the RAID enabled. I undid the RAID. Now the disks are separate and the OS is just on one disk. Ever since then, I lost the ability to reboot. It comes down and...
  5. Change from Raid to AHCI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change from Raid to AHCI: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 -7000- i5- 7573 came with SSD SanDisk X400 M.2 2280 256GB-1012 card, ok! in the Bios it is in Raid mode, and I would like to change it to AHCI, is it possible to make that change? Thanks JP...
  6. Can't read data from "RAID" disk on after BIOS change RAID to AHCI

Can't read data from "RAID" disk on after BIOS change RAID to AHCI: Hey, I got an old Dell Latitude laptop that I was going to update my HDD on so I removed the old drive (it was an m.2 disk in an adapter in a 2.5" slot). I plugged in my new Samsung 840 which the computer couldn't find so I changed the BIOS setting from RAID to AHCI (Raid is...
  7. Switch from Raid to AHCI

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switch from Raid to AHCI: Is there a way to switch from Raid to AHCI without losing everything and having to reinstall Windows again? 104898
  8. AHCI or RAID

AHCI or RAID: Hi. I have just purchased a Dell XPS 15 Laptop with a single 512gb SSD. I am wanting to clean install Windows 10 but am unsure whether to place the BIOS in RAID or AHCI? I have heard the read/write SSD speeds are similar once in windows. Would one of these interfaces...
  9. AHCI setting in BIOS

AHCI setting in BIOS: I have a MB that lets me change the SATA Type. The options are: Native IDE RAID AHCI It is set to Native IDE now. I don’t want to run a raid configuration. What is AHCI. What does it do? Is there an advantage in switching to AHCI? Thanks Sven 27903
  10. Switch from AHCI to RAID

Switch from AHCI to RAID: I have Windows 10 Pro installed on an SSD in AHCI mode. I would like to add a RAID 1 array to this system for storage but I understand some registry tweaks must be made before I can change my BIOS from AHCI to RAID mode or I'll end up hosing Windows. I've read that the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. BOOT settings chnaged from RAID to AHCI after windows update