Windows 10: Need help upgrading Windows 10 to SSD

Discus and support Need help upgrading Windows 10 to SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, First let me explain my comp setup and what i am trying to achieve. I have windows 7 installed on my dual(raided) hard drive(3terabites).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kefalo84, Aug 2, 2015.

1. kefalo84 Win User

Need help upgrading Windows 10 to SSD

Hello,

First let me explain my comp setup and what i am trying to achieve.

I have windows 7 installed on my dual(raided) hard drive(3terabites). I recently purchased 256gig SSD card specifically for Windows 10. What i am trying to do is install Windows 10 to SSD and keep the hard dives for gaming space. I am also trying to do a clean install(delete everything).

What would be the best way to go about this?

Should i first install the SSD(still in box) along with the drivers and then run windows 10 update(I'm assuming it will ask me on which drive to install it) or should i do it differently?

Thanks for the help.

:)

kefalo84, Aug 2, 2015

2. Windows 10 disk space

Hi!

I'm running windows 7 with SSD drive and HDD drive, my SSD drive is 32GB only. I was reverted windows 10 free upgrade, need 3GB to download, what will drive download? Can i change? Windows 7 running on my SSD free 2GB only. it will solve?

Help me please!

PhanKhánh Hoà, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Scanoe Win User
    Clean install windows 10; do I need to upgrade first, and then do a clean install of Windows 10?

The Windows 10 Software has to 'physically' see a Qualifying OS on the Hard Drive of which your installing W-10 onto.

Therefore if the SSD is the final resting place of your Windows 10, then you will need to first install Windows 7 onto the SSD, then you can upgrade from 7 to 10 on the SSD.

Windows Upgrade Versions have always been that way, "Upgrade Versions" will not install on a Blank Hard Drive

Scanoe, Aug 2, 2015
  4. bhuvi100x Win User

I found is hard to install on my SSD ( reason: it didn't like other Sata HDD Connected ) I had to disconnect the rest , with only SSD connected and then do a fresh install

bhuvi100x, Aug 2, 2015
  5. kefalo84 Win User
    But if i disconnect HDD and install it on SSD, wouldn't i then have two operating systems? Windows 7 is currently on HDD.

kefalo84, Aug 2, 2015
  6. If you are prepared to reinstall your programs again, then follow this procedure...

Install your new SSD.
    Disconnect your other drives.
    Install Windows 7 on the new SSD.
    Make sure that it is legally activated.
    Upgrade the new Windows 7 to Windows 10. (Upgrade - keep all your settings and files, etc.)
    Make sure that the new upgrade of Windows 10 is legally activated.
    Now do a clean install of Windows 10 on top of the upgrade that you have just done. (Format the SSD and keep nothing.)
    Set the BIOS to boot to the new SSD first.
    Windows will activate again automatically.
    After installation, reconnect your other drive(s).

You're set!

teachermark, Aug 2, 2015
  7. You're welcome.

This seems like a long winded and deathly slow approach to get the job done, but it's the only way to go (in my opinion) if you want to reliably upgrade your operating system and keep it activated and start a new world of discover with an SSD!

I'm assuming that Windows 7 will activate just fine on the new SSD.
    It should do as this hardware change is well within the limits of changes that you are allowed before a red flag goes up at the Microsoft server.

Good luck and add a post later to let us know how it worked out for you.

teachermark, Aug 2, 2015
  8. kefalo84 Win User

OK,

So i installed my SSD, copied my HDD onto the SSD, disconnected HDD and installed W10 on SSD. Afterwards i reconnected HDD and did a reformat. So far no problems with anything so I'll just keep it as it is right now.

Thank you so much for the help!!

kefalo84, Aug 5, 2015
  9. Nice one. I'm happy it's all working out for you.

It's good to hear progress reports and updates (and appreciation) on threads.

Commentary...
    I'm new to this forum, but here's my impression of it so far...

Most threads die quickly because different people are hammering out the same old questions, time after time.
    That's why so many threads have no answers... the subject is already solved and has been dealt with.

People who want to help other posters get weary of typing out the same advice on the same issues, time after time.
    Especially when there's next to no gratitude for that person's time.

Perhaps the forum could be moderated in such a way that people with questions that have already been recently dealt with are either deleted or moved to a junk forum.

This place is a gold mine of knowledge which is hidden under the weight of un-necessary posts from people who don't want to spend a couple of minutes looking for an answer.

teachermark, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need help upgrading Windows 10 to SSD - Similar Threads - Need help upgrading

2. Need help with upgrading my ssd on a new laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with upgrading my ssd on a new laptop.: The laptop is brand new, not even turned on yet. It only came with 4th gen 256GB ssd. So, I bought a new 4th gen 1TB ssd.I have no data to save. It does have the product ID printed on the back of the laptop. Can I simply swap out the larger ssd and reboot using the product ID...
  3. Need help with upgrading my ssd on a new laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help with upgrading my ssd on a new laptop.: The laptop is brand new, not even turned on yet. It only came with 4th gen 256GB ssd. So, I bought a new 4th gen 1TB ssd.I have no data to save. It does have the product ID printed on the back of the laptop. Can I simply swap out the larger ssd and reboot using the product ID...
  4. Need help with upgrading to windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help with upgrading to windows 10: About a week ago i bought a dell xps 8700 with a i7 4790 and a nvidia gt 720 running on windows 7, i wiped the pc and the proceeded to try to use windows media creation tool to start upgrading but i continually get error 0x80072fF8F-0x20000, i have installed all the windows...
  5. Need help with upgrading to windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with upgrading to windows 10: About a week ago i bought a dell xps 8700 with a i7 4790 and a nvidia gt 720 running on windows 7, i wiped the pc and the proceeded to try to use windows media creation tool to start upgrading but i continually get error 0x80072fF8F-0x20000, i have installed all the windows...
  6. Need help with upgrading to windows 10

7. Need Help in Upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need Help in Upgrading to Windows 10: Hi Microsoft Support,Can I talk to someone regarding how to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10?Thanks,Akhil Paluri https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-in-upgrading-to-windows-10/4d63ac13-a29e-4889-8086-267ca5449be4
  8. Need Help in Upgrading to Windows 10

Need Help in Upgrading to Windows 10: Hi Microsoft Support,Can I talk to someone regarding how to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10?Thanks,Akhil Paluri https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-in-upgrading-to-windows-10/4d63ac13-a29e-4889-8086-267ca5449be4
  9. Help needed in migrating Windows 10 to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help needed in migrating Windows 10 to SSD: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/AnanthanAn7 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k4i85o/help_needed_in_migrating_windows_10_to_ssd/
  10. Switching to Windows 10 with new SSD, need help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching to Windows 10 with new SSD, need help: Hey everyone, I will get my first SSD soon and plan on finally witching to Windows 10 (currently using Windows 7). How would I get to install Windows 10 on my new SDD, while keeping all my old files on my old hard drive? The only thing I want to remove from there is Windows...