Windows 10: Need help using Command Prompt to delete files & folders.

Discus and support Need help using Command Prompt to delete files & folders. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is the name of the folder I am trying to delete: I:\WD Backup.swstor DONT USE\Gary... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Gary_S_1943, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Need help using Command Prompt to delete files & folders.

This is the name of the folder I am trying to delete:

I:\WD Backup.swstor DONT USE\Gary Smetana\N2M3NzM4ZTM3ZGZlNDE1OD\Volume{83749cc6-0000-0000-0000-501f00000000}\Users\Gary Smetana\Desktop\Favorites\Higgs Boson and GeV as mass

I put that address into the following command:

rmdir /s "I:\WD Backup.swstor DONT USE\Gary Smetana\N2M3NzM4ZTM3ZGZlNDE1OD\Volume{83749cc6-0000-0000-0000-501f00000000}\Users\Gary Smetana\Desktop\Favorites\Higgs Boson and GeV as mass"/s

I get a message: "The system cannot find the file specified"

But it is an exact Copy/Paste of the address from File Explorer.

Anyone see what my error is ?

And, to delete a file, I plan to use the command: del/F "File address"

Your insight and specific corrections to my approach are much needed & appreciated.

Gary

:)

Gary_S_1943, Feb 25, 2019

2. 0 byte folder cannot be deleted Problem

I have a 0 byte folder and I can't delete it. I'm using win 7 64 bit.
    please help *Cry :cry:

It says access denied when trying, please login as admin blah blah msgs....

I've searched the net for hours, Trying unlocker, fileassassin, and all other 'file deleter' programs out there. tried on safe mode, tried the cmd commands, even in cmd it says access denied, tried the closing explorer.exe and doing the command. I tried changing permissions and atrributes and it says you do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings. I logged in as the Administrator and still no hope.

the folder originally contained all my movies but since then i moved(using the move command) all of them someplace else(on another hdd) and I thought it was gone but the folder is still there, 0 bytes. It was shared when i deleted it and still appeared on the shared folders list but inaccessible coz it was already deleted so i 'unshared' the folder from the shared folders list. and so the problem began. the folder is still there and it is undeletable

One surefire way to do it without deleting my files is copying all other files to another HDD and reformat it and copy it back again but my hdd is currently contains 1 tb out of 1.36 and i dont have any hdds with that free space to use.

ALSO I CAN'T OPEN THE FOLDER it says

Location is not available

'directory' is not accessible.
    Access is Denied.

i think its more of a windows glitch than a virus problem

help??? *Frown Need help using Command Prompt to delete files & folders. :(

lyndonguitar, Feb 25, 2019
  3. Depth Win User
    Help!! Can not delete folder

Open command prompt as administrator and use the ICACLS command to give you access, then delete it from the same window.

Be careful with that command.

Depth, Feb 25, 2019
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Need help using Command Prompt to delete files & folders.

Deleting Hiberfil & Pagefile

You would have to move your Page File to a different drive to get rid of that file, however you can make is smaller by adjusting the size in Windows.

To get rid of Hyberfile.sys you need to disable hibernation by doing the following:

• Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
    • In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
    • When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press ENTER.
    • Type exit and then press ENTER to close the Command Prompt window
    Then you can delete the hyberfile.sys file.

newtekie1, Feb 25, 2019
Thema:

Need help using Command Prompt to delete files & folders.

1. Need help using Command Prompt to delete files & folders. - Similar Threads - Need help using

2. Help with command prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Help with command prompt: Someone stopped responding to me on another question so I need an answer quick. I was following a guide in a thread and got stuck after I booted with usb. I’m at a part where I’m in the command prompt and need to enter my user and the net user command but I really have no...
  3. Help with run command using the command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help with run command using the command prompt: Hello, I have a question regarding running a batch file using a command prompt. My batch file is in my directory. I change directory to where my batch file is located at , and run the batch file as shown in my example. But I got an error saying a run is not recognized...
  4. Recover deleted files from Recycle Bin using Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recover deleted files from Recycle Bin using Command Prompt: I got a black screen after deleting files from the WindowsApps folder. Now I’m thinking about to recover those files using the command prompt in WinRE. If feasible, what commands should I enter at the prompt?...
  5. Need Help w/ Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need Help w/ Command Prompt: Hey guys, I was screwing around with the command prompt properties and now command prompt doesn't work- just shuts down immediately. Can someone go into their command prompt properties and copy paste it in the replies? Thanks in advance. submitted by /u/TheTendieRoid...
  6. Deleted folder from command prompt

Deleted folder from command prompt: I was deleting some useless folders with command prompt, and I tried to delete a folder called "." or ".." Then desktop's icons deleted, and application bar's icons too. Chrome also formatted, Office logged out, and some other programs also did. Then I rebooted and now...
  7. Cannot create a new folder or file in the Documents folder using command prompt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot create a new folder or file in the Documents folder using command prompt: Surface Pro 3 64bit Hi there, I originally began trying to create touch index.html from ubuntu in the command prompt. It said touchcannot touch no such file or directory . I tried doing the same thing from git bash but same message. I've also tried to create a folder in...
  8. Need help with Command Prompt (attrib)

Need help with Command Prompt (attrib): Been getting annoying error in a video game because a folder is set to read only. I can change it, I have permissions to, but checking the file again a second after changing it shows it reverts back to Read Only. A solution online I found said I can try to use the command...
  9. How to delete files and folders using Command Prompt in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to delete files and folders using Command Prompt in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]At times, all our attempts to delete files or folders via File Explorer yield no results. Many reasons can be attributed to the failure, which can lock down the files/folders and prevent their deletion. In such cases, you can use [...] This post How to...
  10. I need help! stuck in command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    I need help! stuck in command prompt: i need some help i am in comand prompt and i really dont know what i am doing 83738