Windows 10: Need help! Windows Defender Update on September 20 corrupted my external HDD - now reads RAW

Discus and support Need help! Windows Defender Update on September 20 corrupted my external HDD - now reads RAW in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This is not the first time this happens. I turn on my computer and I find that my external HDD’s, which were fine and working properly the day... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LorraineFernando, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Need help! Windows Defender Update on September 20 corrupted my external HDD - now reads RAW

This is not the first time this happens.

I turn on my computer and I find that my external HDD’s, which were fine and working properly the day before, are now asking to be FORMATTED. They show up as RAW in Disc Management.

- Always happens following a Windows update of some kind.

The latest occurence was on September 20, 2019. A Windows Defender Update was installed.

In previous occurences - yes, this has happened repeatedly - Microsoft directed me to update the drivers. For the last three times, this worked and immediately restored the drive to NTFS.

This time, no such luck! Microsoft tried the basics, tried to update the drivers in various ways, and then ran a Checkdisk on one of the HDD’s. Nothing helped.

Question:

Has this occured for other users? Do you have a solution?

What is the brand of your external HDD? Mine, as I realize now, are all WD - SATA drives, some green, some red, ranging anywhere from 2TB to 8TB.

I am seriously considering switching to MAC... but would prefer to keep my current PC.

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

I can provide technical specs.

:)

LorraineFernando, Sep 22, 2019
  2. erod1017 Win User

External HDD's 'converted' to RAW on PC

I have multiple external HDD's, both WD and Seagate, that are recognizable by my PC, but list in device manager as RAW and empty. I can access all the information on the drives on my laptop just fine. I've tried to reformat the drive and it wont allow me
    to access the drive, reading "the format did not complete successfully." I've tried everything from wiping my SSD that windows was installed on and reinstalling fresh, to updating my BIOS, to uninstalling the drivers...

I cant find anything that will allow them to work on my PC.

erod1017, Sep 22, 2019
  3. darkf0xx Win User
    Raw formatted my external

nope, it became raw because the program I used was trying to use it as a boot drive so it attempted to reformat but I stopped it instantly. I would rather not have to fix it from a boot, I need a good way to do it from windows. I dont wanna be sitting in a black screen for 6hrs+ while some random program may or may not fix my hdd.

darkf0xx, Sep 22, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

Need help! Windows Defender Update on September 20 corrupted my external HDD - now reads RAW

topgundcp, Sep 22, 2019
Thema:

Need help! Windows Defender Update on September 20 corrupted my external HDD - now reads RAW

1. Need help! Windows Defender Update on September 20 corrupted my external HDD - now reads RAW - Similar Threads - Need help Defender

2. windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format: windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format now i cant access it it says i have to format it i need my all data its not my fault pls help...
  3. windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format: windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format now i cant access it it says i have to format it i need my all data its not my fault pls help...
  4. Raw read error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Raw read error: Hiwhat is raw read error rate?Does my hdd raw read error rate is high?is it failing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/raw-read-error/3ae7e054-01e3-49ef-84ff-6b40239dd5b0
  5. External HDD is FAT32 but recognized as RAW?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD is FAT32 but recognized as RAW?: Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to ask for help but I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what to do! Yesterday, all of a sudden, my external HDD (ADATA HV300) stopped working... At first it would completely freeze the File Explorer on Windows 10 and...
  6. External HDD is FAT32 but recognized as RAW?

in Windows 10 Support
    External HDD is FAT32 but recognized as RAW?: Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to ask for help but I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what to do! Yesterday, all of a sudden, my external HDD (ADATA HV300) stopped working... At first it would completely freeze the File Explorer on Windows 10 and...
  7. [Help] Windows on external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Help] Windows on external HDD: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Snorpii [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ftk7ko/help_windows_on_external_hdd/
  8. Win10 Updates corrupting Partition Table external USB HDD's - to RAW

Win10 Updates corrupting Partition Table external USB HDD's - to RAW: This is a recurring problem. I am looking for suggestions on: 1. how to repair my partition tables without formatting my HDD's. 2. how to prevent this problem from recurring. Background: I run a Dell XPS-15 9550, internal 512gb SDD. My data is photographs and video files....
  9. External HDD is corrupted and unreadable

External HDD is corrupted and unreadable: I ran chkdsk /f and now I get the "inaccessible" message. Is there any way to recover this drive without losing all my video files that are on it? 79455
  10. Converting RAW external HDD to NTFS?

Converting RAW external HDD to NTFS?: My toshiba 1tb external hard drive currently says it is a raw file system and i cant seem to format it no matter what i do. I dont care for what is inside (only one word file) but i just want to be able to use it again. Is there anyway i can format the HDD and make it usable...