Windows 10: Need help with a blank Start menu

Discus and support Need help with a blank Start menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My Start menu is blank. My name and power icons are available, but there are no tiles. The taskbar doesn't give me the option to pin any apps to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DanaOnifer, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Need help with a blank Start menu

My Start menu is blank. My name and power icons are available, but there are no tiles. The taskbar doesn't give me the option to pin any apps to the start menu.

:)

DanaOnifer, Apr 2, 2020

2. windows right click menu shows blank

Hello,

We realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Start menu showing up blank on your system. We will certainly help you with this issue.

• How often does this issue occurs?
    • Have you installed all pending Windows updates?

This issue could be due to missing or corrupted files present on your system. We suggest you to try the steps from the below Microsoft Help article and check if it helps:

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Apr 2, 2020
  3. Sysprep Windows 10 Start Menu search is blank

Hello everyone,

I was following the Tenforums.com Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep guide, which I found to be an amazing guide.

My goal is to have a Windows 10 Pro x64 sysprep image from the Hyper-V VM, exactly as in the guide.

Anyways I had everything going smooth - I was about to Generalize the image and realized the Start Menu stopped returning results, instead just showing a blank search.

After some frustration and reluctance I went back to the checkpoint at the very beginning (as indicated in the guide). The Start Menu still showed up blank.

Reinstalled the VM in Hyper-V using different names and different VHD files but all resulted in the same error.

Created the VM in VMware Workstation 12 and and started the Sysprep process with Windows 10 in VMware. The Start Menu is still blank.

Uninstalled Hyper-V and reinstalled Hyper-V but that didn't help.

I've done the basic troubleshooting steps too:

• Reboot system (Host and Guest systems multiple times)
    • Verified service Windows Search is running (I restarted the service as well)
    • Rebuilt Index
    • Restarted Cortana and Windows Explorer
    • Re-registered Cortana

I've tried Googling my heart out to no avail. Couldn't even find an image with a similar problem. I've attached a snippet of the issue below.

Note: This is only in Audit Mode. When I let the Windows install complete, the Start Menu works again. I'll try completing the imaging process and load the Sysprep image and see if the Start Menu functionality comes back unless someone has a better idea or similar experience?

Need help with a blank Start menu [​IMG]

SeattleITguy, Apr 2, 2020
  4. Need help with a blank Start menu

Menu Prompts Blank

Hi,

We'd like to get more details about this Windows 10 Menu prompt being blank that you're experiencing. In order to assist you effectively, kindly verify the following:

• Which version of Windows 10 are you running?
    • What were the troubleshooting steps you've done so far?
    • Any changes made to your computer prior to the issue? (Windows update, software or hardware installations, etc.)
    • A sample screenshot of the Menu prompt being blank will greatly help. Just post it here together with your response.

Let us know.

Joanna 777, Apr 2, 2020
Thema:

Need help with a blank Start menu

1. Need help with a blank Start menu - Similar Threads - Need help blank

2. Need help with finicky Start Menu folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with finicky Start Menu folders: I use a variety of folders to organize my Start Menu in Windows 10, but whenever I put a new pin on Start and then try to drag and drop it into a folder, it is very hit-or-miss usually miss on if I can even get it in the folder. The vast majority of the time, rather than...
  3. START MENU BLANK

in Windows 10 Gaming
    START MENU BLANK: After a recent update, I don't know when my pinned shortcuts are missing from my start menu it's all empty !!!!!!!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-blank/1e2b2b2c-4b3c-41b3-8735-c55e5419427a
  4. START MENU BLANK

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    START MENU BLANK: After a recent update, I don't know when my pinned shortcuts are missing from my start menu it's all empty !!!!!!!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-blank/1e2b2b2c-4b3c-41b3-8735-c55e5419427a
  5. Need help restoring apps to start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help restoring apps to start menu: Hi, I was having trouble launching the new Microsoft launcher for Minecraft the other day so I searched and found a solution here on the community board and I did what it said. It didn't fix the problem for anyone in the thread, including myself, and instead seems to have...
  6. Blank Tiles on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blank Tiles on Start Menu: [ATTACH] Hi folks This has been like this for a few months now, but I'd like to try fix it. I've a couple of apps that just don't have icons; they display as blank in the Start Menu....
  7. Start menu and notifications are blank

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu and notifications are blank: My computer locked up while writing a paper. I had to use the button to shut it down even though I didn't want to. When I powered the computer back on, it took a very long time. The I tried opening Word and this shows up: [ATTACH] All notifications are the same way. My...
  8. Start Menu bug! [NEED HELP]

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu bug! [NEED HELP]: I've had this problem before with my old computer. I'm not sure whats causing it. If you have any solutions please reply to this post. Video of my problem: https://streamable.com/u37t9...
  9. Blank start menu items

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank start menu items: See picture. For some reason many icons have no picture and are left blank. Any idea how to fix this? [img] 23700
  10. Blank Start Menu Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank Start Menu Icons: Since my upgrade from windows 7, all my start menu icons are blank. I've tried deleting the icon cache.db file, doesn't help. [img] 17233