Windows 10: need help with clean install for win10, stuck @ drive O unallocated space

Discus and support need help with clean install for win10, stuck @ drive O unallocated space in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, working on doing clean install on my Toshiba Satellite, which has a relatively new installation of Windows 10 on top of Windows 8 previously. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by IvyFasko, Feb 27, 2021.

1. IvyFasko Win User

need help with clean install for win10, stuck @ drive O unallocated space

Hi, working on doing clean install on my Toshiba Satellite, which has a relatively new installation of Windows 10 on top of Windows 8 previously. The install is coming off of a thumb drive that I made on my other windows 10 machine using the "make an install Drive for a machine that is not this machine" capability. I am getting stuck where it says 'where do you want to install Windows" and it only gives me the option of drive o unallocated space. I've gone into the BIOS and switched around the position of the native Toshiba Drive, the thumb drive, and the SSD drive. In all cases the install goes through until I get to the place where it says where do you want to install Windows & only gives me the opportunity for Drive o unallocated space. For the longest time I thought it was that my drive was dead but at a previous screen it said something like refresh drivers and just on the outside chance, I clicked on that and I was able to see all the usual drives from my machine previous to this problem. So I could use some advice or if you have any more questions that would help diagnose this please let me know, TIA, Ivy

:)

IvyFasko, Feb 27, 2021

2. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Feb 27, 2021
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Unallocated Space to C Drive

Hi Travis,

It appears that a disk partition was created but was never assigned its allocation. Assuming there are no files stored in the unallocated partition, perform these steps to combine it with your C: drive:

• In Disk Management, right-click on (Cneed help with clean install for win10, stuck @ drive O unallocated space :) which appears next to the
      Unallocated partition.
    • Select Extend.

Let us know if you're able to combine the spaces after following the steps above.

Regards.

Ruz San, Feb 27, 2021
  4. need help with clean install for win10, stuck @ drive O unallocated space

Unallocated Space on drive.... Help.

Hi Jakeh,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

"Extend Volume" option under Disk Management tool is only available when there is contiguous unallocated space behind the volume you want to extend. As here is no unallocated space after the C partition drive, so extend volume greyed
    out.

Therefore we need an unallocated place on the right of the goal partition (drive: C), theoretically we should shrink volume D for unallocated space, but you will find you could only create an unallocated space behind drive: D, not drive: C, unless
    you could move the unallocated space or you could only make drive: D become unallocated place (delete drive: D) but this way may lead all your data in drive: D get loss, of course you could create a new partition and copy drive: D in it.

Data loss Warning:

Converting a hard disk partition or volume from NTFS to FAT32 requires that you reformat the partition, which deletes any data on it. Be sure to back up any data you want to keep before you begin.

I can understand you want to add the unallocated space to the (Cneed help with clean install for win10, stuck @ drive O unallocated space :) drive on the computer. For doing so, you have to first add the Unallocated space (31.51 GB) to the drive (Jneed help with clean install for win10, stuck @ drive O unallocated space :)
    and then try adding it to the (Cneed help with clean install for win10, stuck @ drive O unallocated space :) drive. Try the below steps and check if it helps.

Steps:-

1. Right click on the
    System Reseved (Jneed help with clean install for win10, stuck @ drive O unallocated space :) drive and click on Extend Volume.

2. Keep clicking Next
    and follow the on screen instructions.

3. The Unallocated space will be added to (Jneed help with clean install for win10, stuck @ drive O unallocated space :)
    drive.

4. Now, right click on (Jneed help with clean install for win10, stuck @ drive O unallocated space :) drive and click on
    Format.

5. Right click on the (Jneed help with clean install for win10, stuck @ drive O unallocated space :) drive again and select
    Delete Volume.

6. Now (Jneed help with clean install for win10, stuck @ drive O unallocated space :) drive shall be shown as
    Unallocated space.

7. Finally, right click on the (Cneed help with clean install for win10, stuck @ drive O unallocated space :)
    drive and select Extend Volume.

8. Keep clicking on Next and follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Feb 27, 2021
Thema:

need help with clean install for win10, stuck @ drive O unallocated space

1. need help with clean install for win10, stuck @ drive O unallocated space - Similar Threads - need help clean

2. Partitions and Unallocated space issue NEED HELP ASAP

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partitions and Unallocated space issue NEED HELP ASAP: For the life of me I have been trying to extend the volume on a SSD that has a clone. It is 2 TB but i only have access to 500 Gb from the drive that was cloned. It is kind of unbelievable that windows does not automatically pick up that you have more space but whatever. I...
  3. Partitions and Unallocated space issue NEED HELP ASAP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partitions and Unallocated space issue NEED HELP ASAP: For the life of me I have been trying to extend the volume on a SSD that has a clone. It is 2 TB but i only have access to 500 Gb from the drive that was cloned. It is kind of unbelievable that windows does not automatically pick up that you have more space but whatever. I...
  4. Partitions and Unallocated space issue NEED HELP ASAP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unallocated Space on Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unallocated Space on Hard Drive: I had a disk failure caused by a failed UPS. Before I realised I had tried to repair Windows. The disk is 1Tb, I also had a 1Tb disk used for file storage but I think this is on the verge of failings although it can still be read.I purchased a 2Tb HDD and was able to clone...
  6. Need Help, Cant extent my C drive to my unallocated space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need Help, Cant extent my C drive to my unallocated space: [ATTACH] I recently formatted my SSD and reinstalled windows. For some reason I have been unable to merge all of the partitions on the disk. There is currently 1 drive, my C drive. The other space available is unallocated, and there are no other drives on my disk. I've...
  7. Unallocated space on C drive

Unallocated space on C drive: I have an old laptop from 2010 (Acer Aspire 5740G-6395) that I had put to the side last year because my employer bought me a new laptop and the Acer was taking 10-15 minutes to boot. When I became aware of the low price of SSDs, for a tinkering project I picked up a 120gig...
  8. Help with unallocated space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with unallocated space: Does anybody know how I can remove the 1.6 TB from my C drive (disk 0) and put it back together with 232GB disk 3? It's originally a 2tb but I accidentally separated them and was too lazy to fix it until I reset my PC but forgot how to undo it. Please help....
  9. Unallocated space on hard drive

Unallocated space on hard drive: Hello: I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 Version 1903 got everything up and running good then looked @ my Hdd its only showing 2.47tb on a 3tb Hdd. ? Went into Disk Manager and this is what I have [img] 746gb unallocated that I can not do anything with other then go...
  10. unallocated space during install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    unallocated space during install: When I i nstall win 10 from usb. My 4Tb barracuda is choppes in 2. See the image attached. [img] Drive 0 unallocated space 2047 gb Drive 0 unallocated space 1678 gb Why I don't see drive 0 2047 and 1678 into 1 unallocated space and install it. 86870