Windows 10: Need Help With Clean Install Of Windows 10 Home

Discus and support Need Help With Clean Install Of Windows 10 Home in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Yes, he would if he wanted Pro, but he doesn't want Pro. Seemed like he did at one point, by some of the questions asked here, but now wants to go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rocky, Nov 14, 2015.

1. jds63 Win User

Need Help With Clean Install Of Windows 10 Home

Seemed like he did at one point, by some of the questions asked here, but now wants to go back to Home edition.

jds63, Nov 15, 2015

2. Just try that link and it didn't recognize that I run the Pro version. Looks like a good news! It should contain both...

MikeMecanic, Nov 15, 2015
  3. Rocky Win User
    OK guys, I'm back. This was a real nightmare. Of course I created the problem myself by entering the generic license key for Windows 10 Pro into the upgrade section of the activation area of the settings. It took the generic license, which surprised me, but it was not activated. In the lower right hand corner of my screen it indicated I was running an unactivated copy of Windows 10, so I wanted to get back to just running Home Edition. I tried the techbench ISO and it would not let me choose, it detected a Pro Edition on my computer so it automatically installed the Pro Edition. Also a roll back brought me back to Pro. I was on the phone with Microsoft for a total of about 6 hours spread out over 3 days and finally the bottom line was that I had to start over with installing Windows 8, then upgrading to Windows 8.1 then upgrading to Windows 10 and then doing a clean install of Windows 10. This nightmare consumed about 4 days of my life but I can't complain because I brought it on myself. Man was this the most frustrating situation a person could imagine.

I'm back and running the latest edition of Windows 10 Home Edition, but the whole thing was a real nightmare. Thanks to everybody that posted with suggestions, but this situation was deeper than just a simple fix. Even Microsoft representatives and technicians couldn't fix it.

Rocky, Nov 18, 2015
  4. pparks1 Win User

Oh I think I see what happened here. He was upgrading, and when he tried using the pro keys, MS must have recorded that in his online digital signature. From then on, when it checked in with MS, it was recorded that he was on Pro, when he should have been in Home.

That would have been a nightmare, glad you and MS were able to sort that one out. The takeaway, if you want Pro, just pay for it. It might be cheaper than the lost time trying to obtain and use it in a non legit manner.

pparks1, Nov 18, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    No, because Pro was never activated there was nothing pushed onto MS activation servers. Only ACTIVATIONS are stored on MS servers, not installs. What happened was he first attempted to run setup.exe from within Windows 10 Pro, which causes an upgrade to run, not a clean install. The upgrade will only upgrade the existing version to the matching version being installed. It wasn't until he booted from the Windows install media and did a clean install that he could change the version being installed.

NavyLCDR, Nov 18, 2015
  6. If you had done a custom install and deleted all partitions, then quit and started over. You'd have gotten back to square one and been prompted to select Home or Pro. I'm almost positive there was no need to start over from Windows 8 again. You never lost your digital entitlement for 10 Home. Your currently installed OS being detected was what was throwing a wrench into things.

alphanumeric, Nov 18, 2015
  7. chemie Win User
    kind of sad we all know what went wrong and how to avoid that painful path but M$ did not...

chemie, Nov 18, 2015
  8. Need Help With Clean Install Of Windows 10 Home

The 8 to 8.1 upgrade was a total waist of time for sure. Windows 8.1 install media will use 8.0 and 8.1 keys, even OEM embedded keys. You can go right 8.1 now with no need to install 8 and then upgrade to 8.1. It's all water under the bridge now though, looks like he's back to 10 Home now. Hopefully for a long time to come with no further issues.

alphanumeric, Nov 18, 2015
  9. Rocky Win User
    Thanks guys. I am back and I am happy. If I want Windows 10 Pro, I will buy it and pay for it. Ain't nothing free in this world.

Rocky, Nov 18, 2015
  10. It was a rocky road but you got there. *Wink You should have no problem clean installing 10 Home from here on, if need be.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need Help With Clean Install Of Windows 10 Home - Similar Threads - Need Help Clean

2. i need help about clean windows installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i need help about clean windows installation: my C drive is old MBR HDD and i need to fresh install windows on E drive GPT SSDcan someone tell me what are the right steps to do a clean installation?...
  3. [HELP] Need to clean install windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [HELP] Need to clean install windows: Hi all, I got new laptop where windows 10 is activated. Now I want clean install windows 10. Without losing windows 10 activation how can I do this ? Also wanted to complete wipe c drive data and keep other drive data as it is? Please guide me submitted by /u/Santhire55...
  4. Need Help with Clean Windows 10 Installation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need Help with Clean Windows 10 Installation: My PC's OS (Windows 10, 64-bit) is not booting and it was recommended that I download the Windows 10 Disc Image ISO. Following the link on this subreddit, I was able to follow the instructions and download the ISO, but it can't seem to transfer it to a USB, even though the...
  5. Need help with Boot Manager and installing SSD for clean Windows 10 install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need help with Boot Manager and installing SSD for clean Windows 10 install: I just got my new Acer Spin 5 SP515-51N and it has a 1TB Hdd as the main drive which is slow. I bought a Sabrent rocket 256gb m.2-2280 SSD to use that as my main OS boot drive and I was going to use the 1TB as a seconary for storage. Seems any cloning from the 1TB 4096 to...
  6. windows 10 Home clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 Home clean install: Hi, I want to do clean install windows10. I have upgraded from Windows7 to Windows10.I got windows 7 from LenovoY570. I would like to know if I do clean install,my windows license works or do I need to buy new license. Please let me know the details. Regards Sateesh...
  7. Need help in clean installation of windows 10

Need help in clean installation of windows 10: My computer came with Windows 8.1 (64-bit) and then did upgrade to windows 10 Recently wanted to do the clean installation of windows 10 so downloaded the windows 10 from microsoft and created iso file of it. while clean installation process found this Name Total Size Free...
  8. Clean install help needed; Windows 7 OEM to Windows 10

Clean install help needed; Windows 7 OEM to Windows 10: Hi everybody; I downloaded the ISO for Windows 10 Home 32/64 bit and tried to do a clean install but it didn't accept my Windows 7 OEM key. Any idea anyone? I really do not like upgrades, always do clean install. Henk 20327
  9. Need help with a clean Windows 10 install

Need help with a clean Windows 10 install: After using a Microsoft account to login to Windows, then deciding to switch to a local profile, and giving myself Admin privileges, my Windows permissions are so messed up I've decided to start with a clean install. I tried reinstalling Windows hoping to fix some of these...
  10. need clean install windows 10

need clean install windows 10: This was a windows 7 upgraded to 10. The pc has had a number of issue since the upgrade. Some issues i have been able to fix but some not and others are developing or worsening. I have had a number of crashes from iqrl less than or not eaqual to nonresposive pages both...