Windows 10: Need help with connecting a network device (Media Player) via Ethernet

Discus and support Need help with connecting a network device (Media Player) via Ethernet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have had a Dune Media Player for probably about 8 years and 2 or 3 windows reinstalls. I would install windows 10 and click on Network in file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NonExpert, Sep 11, 2019.

1. NonExpert Win User

Need help with connecting a network device (Media Player) via Ethernet

I have had a Dune Media Player for probably about 8 years and 2 or 3 windows reinstalls. I would install windows 10 and click on Network in file explorer and I would see my Dune which has 3 hard drives connected to it and I would simply assign drive letters to each hard drive.

My main PC is connected to the Dune via Ethernet.

Last month I had a major hard drive crash on my PC and decided to upgrade to a larger SSD on my computer and install a fresh install of windows 10. Everything went smooth and things are working better than ever except for this one thing.

The Dune Ethernet runs to my Buffalo router and then from the router I have an Ethernet cable to my PC. I also have Fire TV, Roku TV, my printer, and AVR all connected the same way to my computer.

The strange thing is, I can see everything showing up on my PC except the Dune Media Player which is the main thing I need to work with to move files from my PC to the media player.

Since the crash I have not touched or changed any of the Ethernet connections. This tells me there is some type of setting issue in windows I need to change. However, when it comes to network issues, my computer skills are very limited.

The hard drives that work with the Dune are all EXT2 formatted so walking a hard drive to my computer then down to the Dune is not very practical.

I am baffled as this always just worked.

I have Windows 10 Education 1903 installed. Previously I had a non Education of 1903 installed but I could not find my windows install disk and code (I may have done the free Win 10 upgrade from Win 8 when it was available) and since I work at the University I bought a copy from them. I believe the EDU Windows mess with some of the normal Win 10 default settings but don't know where to start with this issue.

Suggestions?

:)

NonExpert, Sep 11, 2019
  2. Yaqub K Win User

windows media player

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

What is the exact error message you get when you to try play files on Windows Media Player?

I suggest you to run both Windows Media Player Library and Settings troubleshooter and check.

Step 1: If your computer is having problems playing video or audio files in Windows Media Player, try using the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter checks the configuration and network settings
    for Windows Media Player to make sure that you can play content you've downloaded and saved to your computer, or content streaming over a network or the Internet.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Settings
      and follow the instructions.

Step 2: If your computer is having problems accessing your collection of digital media files in the Windows Media Player Library, try using the Windows Media Player Library troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter makes sure
    Windows Media Player is correctly installed on your computer, and checks to see whether your Player Library is corrupted.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Library
      and follow the instructions.

Please reply us on the status of the issue to assist you further.

Yaqub K, Sep 11, 2019
  3. Roohi_Taj Win User
    Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

Hi AshGivargis,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below questions:

1. Have you made any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
    2. Which version of Windows you are using? (To check, type: winver in start menu and hit enter.)
    3. What happens when you try to access Windows Media player? Do you have any error message?

Windows Media Player, shares Windows Media Player libraries to other networked players and media devices using universal plug and play. If this service is not running, there might be issues while using this feature.

I would suggest you to follow these steps:

1. Press Windows
      and R
      key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type services.msc and hit enter.
    3. Search for Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
      and Windows search.
    4. Double click on the service and select Automatic under start up.
    5. Click on Start, Apply and Ok.
    6. Restart the computer and check if is working now.

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Sep 11, 2019
  4. Kem Mon Win User

Broken Windows Media Player

Hi,

Have you tried running the troubleshooter for WMP? If not, we suggest that you try to run the troubleshooter and
    see if it helps. To run the troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting.

• Click on
      Programs.

• Under
      Media
      Player, click on
      Windows Media Player Settings
      and
      Windows Media Player Library.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Need help with connecting a network device (Media Player) via Ethernet - Similar Threads - Need help connecting

2. No Network Connection, Ethernet Controller and Network Controller were uninstalled, need help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Network Connection, Ethernet Controller and Network Controller were uninstalled, need help: Hi, apparently while I was trying to delete some drivers and install them again, I accidentally uninstalled the Ethernet Controller and the Network Controller drivers in the process.Now, I don't have any access to the internet.Unfortunately, I also don't have a USB Drive.I...
  3. No Network Connection, Ethernet Controller and Network Controller were uninstalled, need help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Network Connection, Ethernet Controller and Network Controller were uninstalled, need help: Hi, apparently while I was trying to delete some drivers and install them again, I accidentally uninstalled the Ethernet Controller and the Network Controller drivers in the process.Now, I don't have any access to the internet.Unfortunately, I also don't have a USB Drive.I...
  4. Connect a device directly to your computer via Ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connect a device directly to your computer via Ethernet: Up until now, I've had an Ethernet connected throttle quadrant used for flight simulation connected to my PC via a Gbit switch. The other day, I decided to start using my wireless connection for my PC instead to get rid of the long Ethernet cable I've had going through half...
  5. Need help with codecs for windows media player

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need help with codecs for windows media player: I Need help with this: Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file. Is there anyone at Microsoft who could assist me? Regards Jerry...
  6. windows media player will not connect to device (MP3)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows media player will not connect to device (MP3): I can pull up WMP and my music is there but after the last update it won't connect to device to sync my music ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-will-not-connect-to-device/6a69a470-9590-4c21-9cda-5d1758bfc06d
  7. Network Status states not connected to any network, despite being connected via ethernet,...

Network Status states not connected to any network, despite being connected via ethernet,...: For the past 6 months, I have not had access to the Microsoft Store, the Xbox App or any other Microsoft apps that require the internet. My computer is on the internet and browsing/gaming via Steam works fine - however I cannot game with any of the current Microsoft Store...
  8. Network -- two computers connected via ethernet

Network -- two computers connected via ethernet: One office, HP, other office Dell. These two computers are connected via ethernet. As of this latest upgrade, the HP can access the Dell, but I (Dell) cannot access the HP. Under "Microsoft account, Your devices" both computers are shown. Drivers are updated. I have changed...
  9. Help with Network Sharing via Ethernet

Help with Network Sharing via Ethernet: Hi, I'm having problems with trying to share my Wi-Fi connection to another device via Ethernet. When I plug the cord in it says, "Unidentifiable network" and "no access type" If I run the troubleshooter, it says, "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer"...
  10. Why is Ethernet connecting via my guest network?

Why is Ethernet connecting via my guest network?: Win 10 home, 64-bit on HP Laptop. just upgraded from Win 8.1. I have a 2.4MHz Network with a Guest account. My network shows up in wifi as eg. ssidname-2G and ssidname-2G-guest. I can log in and use either of these connections to successfully connect to the Internet. No...