Windows 10: Need help with Disk Partitioning problem.

Discus and support Need help with Disk Partitioning problem. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have a strange problem when I want to shrink my main drive down: It only lets me shrink 14GB of space. Trouble is, I have 214GB free of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SkullBonez, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Need help with Disk Partitioning problem.

Hello, I have a strange problem when I want to shrink my main drive down: It only lets me shrink 14GB of space.

Trouble is, I have 214GB free of 237GB on my SSD. Over 15 times the shrink space.

I have checked the System Volume Information using vssadmin list shadowstorage in Command Prompt, but it only takes up a maximum of 4GB on my machine.

I've disabled my page files and hibernation state.

Ive reduced my System Protection size to 2% of the drive from 3%

All these changes should mean that roughly only 8GB out of 237GB consists of unmovable space, but I can still only shrink 14GB off.

I want to have at least 100GB for Dual Booting purposes.

Help.

:)

SkullBonez, Mar 28, 2019

2. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Need help with Disk Partitioning problem. :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Mar 28, 2019
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Mar 28, 2019
  4. Need help with Disk Partitioning problem.

Sudden automatic appearance of disk partition on Windows 10

Hi,

Please let us know, if you have made any changes prior to this issue.

I suggest you to remove the partition and check.

To delete an existing partition from Windows 10:

• Follow the instructions from step 1 to 5 from the above section.
    • From the right pane of the Disk Management section, right-click the volume (partition) that you want to delete.
    • From the context menu that appears, click Delete Volume.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Mar 28, 2019
Thema:

Need help with Disk Partitioning problem.

1. Need help with Disk Partitioning problem. - Similar Threads - Need help Disk

2. disk partition problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disk partition problem: i cannot shrink volume more than 237 mb *Moved from feedback. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-partition-problem/b45b3817-9f28-4d4e-98d8-5af3ff54ed1f
  3. disk partition problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disk partition problem: i cannot shrink volume more than 237 mb *Moved from feedback. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-partition-problem/b45b3817-9f28-4d4e-98d8-5af3ff54ed1f
  4. disk partition problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Disk and partition help needed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk and partition help needed: [ATTACH] How to combine the disk 0 back to disk 1? I have one 512 Gb ssd which i somehow split into two disks by accident. How do I get the 27 Gb unallocated space back to my 512 gb disk? Please help...
  6. Disk partition problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk partition problem: [ATTACH]I wass trying to extend my c: drive and this happed, Actually many D: drives has been showing with different sizes. What is this and how can i get rid of this?...
  7. Disk Partition Help

Disk Partition Help: [ATTACH] So I want to partition my 500 GB SSD and have 458 GB allocated for me out of which I have stored 99 GB of data on my C drive. Which means I still have 358 GB of space still left and it shows me that too....
  8. 100% DISK PROBLEM need urgent help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% DISK PROBLEM need urgent help: So, my task manager shows that the dis is 100% and is decreasing my performance. In my Task manager, i see: 1. User host font driver consuming my memory and disk 2 system And some more NOTE: I TRIED ALL PROCESSES LIKE. DISABLING SOME THINGS AND ALL. Tried virtual...
  9. DISK PARTITION HELP!! (urgent)

DISK PARTITION HELP!! (urgent): I earased a partition, I don't know what I did I have 2 HDD, and old one and a newer one. The old one "D", I earased the partition, I dont understand what happened, now, when I go to file manager I cant find that drive but everything is in the place it should be (pc works...
  10. Disk Partitions - Are they all needed ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Partitions - Are they all needed ?: Hi My PC did have a 2TB SATA Disk running Windows 8.1 Pro. I relegated this to be a second disk and installed an EVO 240GB SSD as my main boot disk. This has Windows 8.1 Pro installed and has been running for over a year. I've now upgraded to Windows 10 on the SSD and...