Windows 10: Need Help with dying drive & dual HDD Windows 10 installation

Discus and support Need Help with dying drive & dual HDD Windows 10 installation in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Greetings, ok, I'm kind of at a crossroads here and want to make sure I make the right step forward. Here's my situation: I have a pc I built myself... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JFigatner, Jul 29, 2016.

1. JFigatner Win User

Need Help with dying drive & dual HDD Windows 10 installation

Greetings, ok, I'm kind of at a crossroads here and want to make sure I make the right step forward. Here's my situation:

I have a pc I built myself (specs in my profile) with Windows 10 installed on a normal 500GB HD. A year ago I did a clean install of Windows 10 onto a new 500GB SSD I bought. I also have a 3TB internal drive for media, etc.
    Currently, when the pc boots, it goes to a screen that recognizes 2 Windows installations and offers an option to load either. It automatically chooses the SSD Windows to boot after 3 seconds.

Last night, I started having trouble with the 3TB internal drive (very slow, years old, time for an upgrade). I eventually restarted my computer and it went into a "Scanning and fixing drive E" screen for about an hour. I let it run and eventually came back to my Windows desktop but the E: drive was corrupted (would not open from My Computer- generic "read error" after a minute).

I decided to remove it and so I shut down, grounded, and unplugged the SATA cable from both the E: drive and my old 500GB HD with the old Windows installation. When I tried to reboot, BIOS returned a boot error. In BIOS config, it still pointed to USB drive first, then my SSD for boot priority. Would not work even plugging back in the 500GB. It was only when I plugged both drives in did the boot process into Windows proceed (still with the dual installation notice). Luckily, my E: drive mounted again and seems ok.

But the whole process has me worried: I want to replace my E: drive soon and also remove my old 500GB (D*Smile drive, but I'm afraid to format the D: drive because it seems Windows wont boot correctly when D: drive is not mounted, even though the clean Windows install on my SSD C: drive should be fine- its all I've been using for months.

Is there a clean 'unmount' process that I can try that's also reversable? Or maybe I just need to unplug the SATA AND power cables to hdds? Thank you for any insight you can shed.

JF

:)

JFigatner, Jul 29, 2016

2. Windows 10 Lost all programs

After upgrading to windows 10, all of the programs we had installed (adobe creative suite and such) on the computer are gone. we run dual drives (SSD for C: and a standard HDD for j: which housed all of our programs).

also, I have lost dual monitors. I either need to know how to fix it, or how to go back to windows 7.... Please help.

rjacobs1212, Jul 29, 2016
  3. DanielG92 Win User
    After activating Windows 10 with a Windows 7 key, will the Win7 remain activated?

I have a genuine Windows 7, but my hard drive is pretty old. I already bought a new one, and I'm about to put Windows 10 on it with a clean install. As far as I know I can use my Windows 7 activation key to activate that Windows 10.
    And I'd like to keep my Win 7 system on that old hard drive for those 'just in case' cases, but since these OSs will be on different HDDs, I will have a dual boot system, but after activating Windows 10 will my Windows 7 system on the old hard drive be deactivated
    or not? Can I have two genuine, activated Windows (one 10 & one 7) at the same time on different HDDs in a dual boot system?

Thanks in advance!

DanielG92, Jul 29, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

When Windows installs, it creates a Hidden System Partition without a drive letter. This partition holds all of the Boot information.
    If you leave your old Windows HDD attached with the System Partition, and add an SSD or another drive and do a clean install to that new drive, Windows will use the old Windows Hidden System Partition for the Boot file and install Windows on the SSD. If you unplug the old Windows drive and just try to boot off of the SSD it will not boot because it does not have access to the Hidden System Partition.
    I would start over with the SSD. Unplug all other HDD's including USB. Boot off of your Install Media and choose to do a Custom Install. Where it comes to install Windows, Drive Options, choose to Delete all partitions on the SSD. Go next. Windows will automatically create partitions, including the Hidden Partition, and format them during the Windows install. Once Windows is finished installing, attach your other HDD's. Boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot Tab, Move the SSD to First Boot Device. Save and Exit.

spunk, Jul 29, 2016
  5. JFigatner Win User
    Thank you, it's basically everything I've feared. I'd just gotten the new one how I wanted it. Darn! Thanks again.

JFigatner, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Need Help with dying drive & dual HDD Windows 10 installation - Similar Threads - Need Help dying

2. HELP WITH DUAL DRIVES!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HELP WITH DUAL DRIVES!: I need help I recently just reset my whole PC but been trying to setup my dual drives as my SSD as my main but everytime I do it says "media key must be inserted" WIth a black screen....
  3. HELP WITH DUAL DRIVES!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HELP WITH DUAL DRIVES!: I need help I recently just reset my whole PC but been trying to setup my dual drives as my SSD as my main but everytime I do it says "media key must be inserted" WIth a black screen....
  4. HELP WITH DUAL DRIVES!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. "Dying" HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Dying" HDD: So, I have been getting this error at bottom and whenever I boot, I get this error and a beep. I checked with multiple HDD Status programs but they all say just like 5 corrupted/bad sectors but I don't know if that's actually that bad, but when I boot into Windows, and I...
  6. Needing Help With Dual Monitors

in Windows 10 Support
    Needing Help With Dual Monitors: I'm running windows 10 home and I have a hdmi port on my laptop that I connected to my secondary monitor. Display Resolution 1366 X 768 (Recommended) for the laptop resolution. But the secondary monitor is 1920 x1080 full hd. I want to have 2 different wallpapers one for...
  7. Need Help with dual monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need Help with dual monitors: I setup dual monitors, and everything is fine except for the fact that when I open a program from my secondary monitor, it displays on my primary monitor and shows the taskbar button on both monitors. Any fix? submitted by /u/Slosshy [link] [comments]...
  8. Need help migrating/installing Win 10 into new HDD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Need help migrating/installing Win 10 into new HDD: Hello all! In need of some help and I hope this is the forum that can solve my issue. If not would anyone mind pointing me in the right direction as I'm really clueless right now.*Redface Setup: Laptop 1 - Acer Aspire V3-771G-9809 - Notebookcheck.net External Reviews...
  9. New HDD, 2nd windows install. Need help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New HDD, 2nd windows install. Need help: I stuck a new HDD into PC and is currently set as 2nd HDD. It is blank and new. What I want to do is install windows 10 on this drive , and set it to the main boot. The problem I am having is what is my best option. Do I do a windows 7 install on new HDD from DVD? or...
  10. Need help to PROPERLY install dual boot: Windows 10 & Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help to PROPERLY install dual boot: Windows 10 & Windows 10: @essenbe and @strick: Perhaps you might remember that you helped me do this once before. I want to keep my current Windows 10 (which is faulty) and do a clean install (as you previously advised). There was something to do with the boot manager that you helped me correct. When...