Windows 10: Need help with getting "Choose a default" to work in Photo Viewer

Discus and support Need help with getting "Choose a default" to work in Photo Viewer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Every time I choose Photoshop as the default photo viewer (via Settings | Default Apps | Photo Viewer | Choose a default), nothing happens, meaning:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Dutch, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Dutch Win User

Need help with getting "Choose a default" to work in Photo Viewer

Every time I choose Photoshop as the default photo viewer (via Settings | Default Apps | Photo Viewer | Choose a default), nothing happens, meaning: the selection is not accepted or held.

I would like .jpg files to open for viewing in Photoshop. I managed to change the default for .tif files but cannot set the default to open .jpg's in Photoshop.

I have also tried to change the default photo viewer for .jpg's via "Open With" but it doesn't hold that way either.

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks.

:)

Dutch, Mar 26, 2016
  2. gapch12 Win User

Class not Registered error for pictures with Windows 10

Thank you, this fix worked.

gapch12, Mar 26, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Photos on Computer

Maybe.... I would try using the same program as you used before. It's still there, just right-click any file and choose "Open With > Choose New Default" and pick the Windows Photo Viewer. That's the same photo viewer Windows 7 and 8 had, they left it
    in there in case anyone wants it.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Mar 26, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Try the old fashioned way..................

Right click at Start > Control Panel > top right, click View by > select either large or small > select Default Programs > click Select a file type or protocol with a program > wait for it to load > left side, scroll down to .jpg > click it > top right click Change program > scroll to find your Photo Shop > click it > click OK.

See if jpg now opens with Photo Shop.

davidhk, Mar 26, 2016
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    Find a .jpg file, and right click it. In the "open with" drop down menu, select "choose another app" - even if you can see Photoshop listed - and in the new list, find Photoshop, even if you have to click the "more apps" button. Now once you can see Photoshop, at the bottom of the list, check the "Always use..." box then select Photoshop, and click ok. Do this whenever you find another graphics image filetype you want to open with Photoshop.

I find Windows 10 annoying in this respect, since it can and does revert selected defaults back to Photos or Film and TV, even if you have said otherwise. Most annoying is PDFs opening by default in Edge when I have deliberately downloaded Foxit Reader for this purpose. Ho Hum.

Fafhrd, Mar 26, 2016
  6. Dutch Win User
    Tried this, and at first thought that Win 10 still doesn't open .jpg's in Photoshop as the Photoshop symbol does not display to the left of the .jpg's. However, when clicking on some .jpg's, they did open in Photoshop! Thanks.

Agree it is annoying that Win 10 reverts back to what seem to be its preferred default settings. Have had trouble with PDF's opening in Edge too :-(

Dutch, Mar 26, 2016
  7. Dutch Win User
    I tried the suggestion give by fafhrd and it worked.

I expect Win 10 will revert back to its preferred photo viewer so am saving your suggestion to try if it happens again. Thanks.

Dutch, Mar 26, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

I thought you said:
    I have also tried to change the default photo viewer for .jpg's via "Open With" but it doesn't hold that way either.

That's why I did not suggest that.
    Anyway, it does not matter.
    You get the solution, only thing that matters.

davidhk, Mar 27, 2016
  9. Dutch Win User
    Hello again. You are correct about that, meaning, I did state I had tried "open with".

Turns out, by simply using "open with" the problem was not solved. By taking the extra step after selecting "open with" and not selecting Photoshop there as one would expect to work, but instead selecting "choose another app" and then selecting Photoshop listed there, the setting held. It's certainly a convoluted way of selecting one's desired photo viewer.

Thanks again.

Dutch, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Need help with getting "Choose a default" to work in Photo Viewer - Similar Threads - Need help getting

2. Need help accessing Windows Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need help accessing Windows Photo Viewer: Not a fan of Windows' Photos app. A lot of folks are saying Microsoft removed Photo Viewer for Windows 10's Photos app. But I've noticed that when I open .tif files, it defaults to Windows Photo Viewer. So the app has to exist on my OS, right?When I try to open more...
  3. Need help accessing Windows Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help accessing Windows Photo Viewer: Not a fan of Windows' Photos app. A lot of folks are saying Microsoft removed Photo Viewer for Windows 10's Photos app. But I've noticed that when I open .tif files, it defaults to Windows Photo Viewer. So the app has to exist on my OS, right?When I try to open more...
  4. Need help accessing Windows Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I need help choosing a default application for specific filetypes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need help choosing a default application for specific filetypes: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/dkaarvand [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/le5d7g/i_need_help_choosing_a_default_application_for/
  6. An App default was reset error it reset the windows photo viewer to default photos

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    An App default was reset error it reset the windows photo viewer to default photos: Hello Sir, My name is Ronak Savla, I have windows 10 pro, I get an problem as I start my computer for some work, I see the default app is changed from windows photo viewer which I installed as an registry file and it changes to default photo app. Can you give me any...
  7. Help choosing default app for files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help choosing default app for files: Hi, I have a good amount of webp images in my computer and I like to use the default Photos app to visualize them. I downloaded something called 'codecs webp' or similar so I could see my images on the default photo visualizer and it worked fine. Today, when I was going to...
  8. Photo Viewer not working

Photo Viewer not working: My default microsoft photo viewer app has not been working! It crashes as soon as soon as it is opened and the message displayed is "File system error (-2147219196) I've tried all the commands on powershell, I have repaired and reset the app, and even uninstalled and...
  9. Change default photo viewer app

Change default photo viewer app: My friend did something on her computer the other day in which her pictures folder - the pictures are not pictures now, they have the default photo app viewer. How can I change them so she sees the pictures are pictures? [img] 103812
  10. Help! Can't set Windows Photo Viewer as default program!

Help! Can't set Windows Photo Viewer as default program!: Before the update, I had installed Windows Photo Viewer and could go to Control Panel > Default Programs and click "Set this program as default" or "Choose defaults for this program". Now, if I click Set this program as default it doesn't do anything, still says 2 out of...