Windows 10: Need help with help

Discus and support Need help with help in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Default Programs, under .hlp, what do I put in under Current Default? Don Cole 59894 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by doncole, Aug 11, 2016.

1. doncole Win User

Need help with help

In Default Programs, under .hlp, what do I put in under Current Default?

Don Cole

:)

doncole, Aug 11, 2016
  2. Need#Help Win User

Adding Birthdays and Holidays to Windows 10 Mail App

If someone knows how to add holidays and birthdays to the Windows 10 Mail App, PLEASE tell me how.

Thank you!

Need#Help, Aug 11, 2016
  3. Rolling back to Windows 7 from Windows 10, then back to 10 when support for 7 ends.

1. Go back to Windows 7 or go back to the previous build?

2. Did you purchase the refurbished computer on 10 January, first use it on 10 January, or did the refurbisher (I assume) "install" Win10 on 10 January?

3a. Where did you purchased the refurbished computer?

3b. Do you know who refurbished it?

4. What Windows 10 Version & OS Build is currently installed?

Press & hold the Windows Key and press the R
    key. In the RUN dialog, type WINVER and press the Enter key.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments:

• IMHO you can't trust the security of any used computer unless & until YOU have formatted the HDD & then done a clean install of Windows (or paid someone - not the supposed "refurbisher" - to do it for you).
    • Mom's prolly better off sticking with Win10. Learning new stuff is good for her! <wink>

We purchased the computer from a Comprenew store on January 18, but the date on the OS install was January 10. We just activated the software on the 18th. Comprenew recycles old electronics etc. and is a certified Microsoft refurbisher. I am not positive
    which build is installed, but I can find it when I get over there. It looks like we have lots of help here to figure things out... all is tremendously appreciated. And... yes....it is good for her to learn new stuff, so we are trying to encourage her to
    learn the "new" Windows OS. We'll see what happens. Thanks again! Need help with help :) Oh yeah, I do need to double check if it says go back to Windows7 or previous build...thanks for that. I've been looking at too many computers lately... can't remember which one says
    what. :[

Need some help with..., Aug 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Need help with help

Hi, this is what appears in the control panel:

Need help with help [​IMG]

This is the detail:

Need help with help [​IMG]

Has yours been corrupted? I could export a reg file.

dalchina, Aug 11, 2016
  5. doncole Win User
    Thank you dalchina,
    The part you showed me (assigning .exts to default programs), I know how to do. The problem is I need to add WinHlp32.exe. This worked on Windows 8.1.
    Windows 10 won't take program because it's 64 bit.
    What program can I add to Windows 10 to make the .hlp extension work?

I need this because I have some 2nd party programs that use the .hlp extension.

Don Cole

doncole, Aug 14, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Aug 14, 2016
  7. doncole Win User
    I followed the instructions:
    1.) put winhlp32.exe and Win 10-Hlp32-Fix.cmd in M:\TEMP
    2.) I ran cmd as administrator, CDed to M:\TEMP
    3.) ran Win 10-Hlp32-Fix.cmd
    I get:
    ^ ..
    M:\TEMP>How to read an old o.hlp file (*)o on windows 10 (x64, or, x86)
    'How is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    : was unexpected at this time.

Don Cole

doncole, Aug 15, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Need help with help

Hello, you've copied the wrong text when you created the cmd file.
    Windows is trying to execute an English descriptive sentence as if it were commands it understood.
    It won't like that 'cos it doesn't understand English.

You will find it easier to use the download in post #65 as the cmd file has already been done for you.

Or #41 has just the lines that should be in the cmd file with no English (avoid the text before and after when copying!)

Note the caveats:
    The exe added to Windows that processes the hlp file will be replaced e.g. if
    - you run sfc /scannow
    - there's a major upgrade
    - if you do an in-place upgrade repair

Therefore you'd then need to run this again.

Can you suggest a small program that uses old help so I can try it? Thanks.

dalchina, Aug 15, 2016
  9. doncole Win User
    Attachment enclosed.

I had to zip it because my computer says its not a valid file.
    Because I don't have winhlp32.exe

Don Cole

doncole, Aug 16, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, could you say why you've posted the attachment please?

If you follow the thread I posted, you will find links to download everything you need.
    Including winhlp32.exe both 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

The forum (as normal) only accepts certain types of files for security reasons.

dalchina, Aug 16, 2016
  11. doncole Win User
    Here's another you may have "TEXTPAD.HLP"
    I can send it to you if like.
    I'm going to retry to create the winhlp32.exe file.

Don Cole

doncole, Aug 17, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Aug 17, 2016
  13. doncole Win User

Need help with help

I downloaded the one you suggested winhlp XP x64.zip.

And followed thee instructions and I get a similar error:

M:\TEMP>(*): The *1,hlp file*2 must be read, without any problem, on 2000, ME, or 98/98SE.

*1=o with ^ on top (foreign).
    *2=o with .. on top (foreign).

What do you mean by post #65 and #41?

Don Cole

doncole, Aug 18, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hello, as you're obviously having difficulty following those instructions, here's a file you can use.
    This is for 64bits.

Extract the folder.
    Within the folder rt click
    hlp install.cmd
    and click 'run as admin'.
    Help - old format - ready to run.zip

Check old help files can now be read.

dalchina, Aug 18, 2016
Thema:

Need help with help

1. Need help with help - Similar Threads - Need help help

2. Need Help!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need Help!: I am faced with WindowsUpdate_80072EFE" error, and there is no solution found; I hope to help us in this regard!Windows seven update problem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help/09cafe39-af75-47ff-bcc6-4858b2d2a023
  3. Need some helpful help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need some helpful help: So I was trying to download an editing software, on my Window 10, but I couldn't install it because I was missing opencl.dll, but I found the opencl.dll in File Explorer, so i dragged it in the System32 file. But now i faced with a new problem. My new problem is "the...
  4. Need Help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Need Help: [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]I've already reinstealled Drivers and even reset the PC... it still looks like this. I've got NVIDIA GeForce 920M with the latest Driver and the Intel i5 7th generation which i've updated with the NVIDIA drivers. I doesn't show...
  5. Need help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need help: Need help securing my Laptop not sure why it will not connect to the internet. Maybe issues with the update I attempted to do for windows 10. Corrupted can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help/7b0d610b-e9bb-4ee0-9d48-1205e5e4f592
  6. help needed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    help needed: have alcatel idol 4s WINDOWS 10 cell phone 64 gb VR is using up 59gb so I am unable to use phone have 128 sd card in BUT phone will not let me move or uninstall apps please help can not afford another phone *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  7. need help

in Windows 10 Customization
    need help: is my computer putting out a noise like a program has been opened https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help/ee203640-8f0d-4640-b7cd-5b8c7e4f29f8
  8. need help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    need help: I took a video with my flip phone zte 320 I hooked my usb up to my asus windows pc using window player I watched it and deleted it by accident while usb still in erased it from my phone and computer. I LOOKED IN TRASH BIN NOT THERE.. THANKS...
  9. need help

in Windows 10 Customization
    need help: [ATTACH]today at morning this pc was automatically updated and there is problem that, before my pc language was english but now it's chinese and there is option for change and english also there downladed the english language but it's not work. also I ask for help to a...
  10. need help

in Windows 10 Support
    need help: since 2 month ago my PC always have problems after installed new windows. for example: 1 click right mouse on tab bar and select Task Manager noting open. 2 type any functions cmd and (regedit, msconfig, ...) on W+R nothing open. 3 can't install or run program by...