Windows 10: Need Help With Hyper V & External Drives

Discus and support Need Help With Hyper V & External Drives in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi There I am running Windows 11 in a VM. All is working fine expect that I cannot see how to show my external hard drives in File Explorer. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by CallMeSteven, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Need Help With Hyper V & External Drives

Hi There I am running Windows 11 in a VM. All is working fine expect that I cannot see how to show my external hard drives in File Explorer. When I first ran the VM I clicked on something (!) and they appeared. That VM was accidently deleted and now I cannot recall how I got the VM to see the drives!! Any help would be gratefully received.

:)

CallMeSteven, Jul 1, 2021
  2. Kari Win User

Moving Hyper-V to Another Disk

1. Export the virtual machines to the drive where you want to move them (tutorial).
    2. When all VMs have been exported, delete them in Hyper-V Manager.
    3. When Hyper-V Manager is empty, not showing any VMs, import the previously exported VMs (tutorial). In Option One Step 6 of the tutorial, you need to select Register the virtual machine in-place, or if choosing Option Two in tutorial, select Step 2.
    Easy!

Kari, Jul 1, 2021
  3. Hyper V deativication

Hi Geoffrey,

Hyper-V lets you run an operating system or computer system as a virtual machine on Windows. Before proceeding in disabling
    Hyper-V, please create a backup of your files for security purposes.

To disable Hyper-V, please follow the steps below:

• On the Cortana search box, type Turn Windows Features on or off and press
      Enter.
    • Look for the Hyper-V folder.
    • Uncheck the tick-box next to the main Hyper-V folder and click
      OK.
    • Restart your PC.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Jul 1, 2021
  4. Rex99ny Win User

Need Help With Hyper V & External Drives

Where is the Hyper V Manager, How to I start it ?

I am trying to setup an XP virtual Machine on Windows 10 Pro.

I followed the steps in Neil Peterson article of 5/9/2016.

System Requirements - done - ok

Install Hyper-V - done - ok

Create a Virtual Switch - skip

Create a Virtual Machine

Create a Virtual Machine with Hyper-V Manager

These steps walk through how to manually create a virtual machine and deploy an operating system to this virtual machine.

• In Hyper-V Manager, click Action > New >
      Virtual Machine
      to bring up the New

Uhhhhhhhhh - this step obviously implies one knows

1) Where the Hyper-V Manager is

2) How to start the Hyper-V Manager

Isn't that odd ?

Rex99ny, Jul 1, 2021
Thema:

Need Help With Hyper V & External Drives

1. Need Help With Hyper V & External Drives - Similar Threads - Need Help Hyper

2. Need help to get Hyper V working correctly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help to get Hyper V working correctly.: My PC was upgraded from Win 10 home to Win 11 home. The I acquired the key to make it Pro. I got the Hyper V working but I need help. The VM does not connect with host audio. The option to go full large screen does not show properly. Either I get a screen with a big border...
  3. Need help to get Hyper V working correctly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help to get Hyper V working correctly.: My PC was upgraded from Win 10 home to Win 11 home. The I acquired the key to make it Pro. I got the Hyper V working but I need help. The VM does not connect with host audio. The option to go full large screen does not show properly. Either I get a screen with a big border...
  4. Hyper-V external switch issue

Hyper-V external switch issue: Hello all, I have a small issue with my Hyper-V! I run windows 11 on Hyper-V and also on my main machine. I installed the VM everything is fine except that when I want to enter the password, it says "Your device is offline", with Enhanced session mode on. When I turned off,...
  5. Need Help With Hyper V & External Drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Need Help With Hyper V & External Drives: Hi There I am running Windows 11 in a VM. All is working fine expect that I cannot see how to show my external hard drives in File Explorer. When I first ran the VM I clicked on something (!) and they appeared. That VM was accidently deleted and now I cannot recall how I got...
  6. Help with Hyper V

Help with Hyper V: I am having a problem booting linux machines on hyper v. I created a virtual machine of mint linux and it runs fine but all additional VM's that I create will not boot up. They start to boot then just hang. What am I doing wrong?
  7. No internet when Hyper-V running, need help configuring external switc

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    No internet when Hyper-V running, need help configuring external switc: Hello, I was trying to use prior thread, but it was too old and suggested to create new thread, also I am total NOOB, COULDN'T figure out myself so asking for help here. So i finally managed to do P2V and create .VHDX image, successfully created virtual machine using that...
  8. Strange Error mounting an iso on an external drive in Hyper-V

Strange Error mounting an iso on an external drive in Hyper-V: I got this rather odd error message when trying to mount an iso from an external drive using Hyper-V. The external drive is formatted as NTFS, so the second part does not apply. The iso does mount if I copy it to an "internal" drive in Hyper-V (C drive in my case)....
  9. Copying files from external drive to internal Hyper-V VM much faster.

Copying files from external drive to internal Hyper-V VM much faster.: I always found it very slow copying files as a network share from Host to PC e.g. at 10 MB/s. Today, I had to copy a file, and it blitzed along at 80 MB/S which is not far off my hard drive maximum speed. This is using 16299 Fast/Slow Ring build. As an aside, I...
  10. Hyper-V - Unable to Create External Virtual Switch

Hyper-V - Unable to Create External Virtual Switch: I get the error "bind failed: General access denied error" when I try to create an external virtual switch. [img] I tried running Hyper-V with as admin without success. Kevin 43133