Windows 10: Need help with improving battery life and diagnosing any potential problems.

Discus and support Need help with improving battery life and diagnosing any potential problems. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have an HP Pavilion (i5-7200U, 12GB RAM) that I purchased at the end of December of 2016 (so it's just over 3 years old), but I tend to get only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/RiLo10, Feb 10, 2020.

1. /u/RiLo10 Win User

Need help with improving battery life and diagnosing any potential problems.

I have an HP Pavilion (i5-7200U, 12GB RAM) that I purchased at the end of December of 2016 (so it's just over 3 years old), but I tend to get only around 3 hours of battery life while running Chrome (with several tabs open, mind you) and MS Word, as well as viewing PDFs in MS Edge. This is just my average usage while doing homework for school. I have to make sure my laptop is 100% charged before attending a 3hr lecture or else it will die by the time I finish class.

I swear my laptop is supposed to get over 8 hours on battery, but I rarely get much life from it from what I've noticed lately. Any help is much appreciated!!

submitted by /u/RiLo10
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/RiLo10, Feb 10, 2020

2. how to improve battery life in the Nokia 1020

Hi vravishan,

Thank you for posting in the forum.

I understand that you want to improve battery life on your Nokia Lumia 1020. Some nice steps you can find here:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp7/basics/battery-making-it-last

If you have any features suggestion regarding a phone, you can post them on this site:

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions

Thanks for your contribution to the forums!

Kind Regards,

Michal TR

Michal TR., Feb 10, 2020
  3. The battery life

Hi boerab61,

Battery life varies from phone model to phone model, even when they're from the same OEM. For instance, the HTC Titan II has a different battery life than a HTC HD7. However, your particular battery life can be varied depending on several factors:

• Strength of your phone carrier signal. If you're in areas of low or terrible coverage, then your phone will consume more energy trying to maintain a connection with a cell tower.
    • High usage of GPS can also drain the battery quickly because the GPS sensor consumes a lot of energy. By the way, if you are using GPS a lot, you can actually improve battery life by leaving WiFi on, as Windows Phone can quickly pull geolocation info from
      WiFi routers, even if you're not connected to them.
    With that in mind, here's some suggestions to try to extend the life of your battery.

Reduce the load on your battery:

• Decrease screen brightness.

• Set Timeout duration on Backlight.

• Set Auto-Off Timeout duration for 1 minute or less (device turns off).
    • Throttle down your CPU speed.

• Remove external devices (SD Cards, etc)
    Turn off appropriate radios on your device:

• Turn off Bluetooth transceiver when not in use.

• Turn off WiFi transceiver when not in use (except when using GPS).

• Turn off GPS receiver when not in use.

• Turn off Cell transceiver when not in use.
    Change the way you do things with your device:

• Minimize media playback use.
    • Minimize use of e-mail and browsing.

• Once in a while (every few weeks), drain battery until dead, then recharge 100%
    • Keep a spare charger in your car and/or office.

Again, these are the ways you can consume battery life and yes, some are extreme but if you're serious about conserving your phone's battery, these are some great suggestions.

I hope this helps!

David

David Scammell, Feb 10, 2020
  4. Need help with improving battery life and diagnosing any potential problems.

The battery life

Hi boerab61,

Battery life varies from phone model to phone model, even when they're from the same OEM. For instance, the HTC Titan II has a different battery life than a HTC HD7. However, your particular battery life can be varied depending on several factors:

• Strength of your phone carrier signal. If you're in areas of low or terrible coverage, then your phone will consume more energy trying to maintain a connection with a cell tower.
    • High usage of GPS can also drain the battery quickly because the GPS sensor consumes a lot of energy. By the way, if you are using GPS a lot, you can actually improve battery life by leaving WiFi on, as Windows Phone can quickly pull geolocation info from
      WiFi routers, even if you're not connected to them.
    With that in mind, here's some suggestions to try to extend the life of your battery.

Reduce the load on your battery:

• Decrease screen brightness.

• Set Timeout duration on Backlight.

• Set Auto-Off Timeout duration for 1 minute or less (device turns off).
    • Throttle down your CPU speed.

• Remove external devices (SD Cards, etc)
    Turn off appropriate radios on your device:

• Turn off Bluetooth transceiver when not in use.

• Turn off WiFi transceiver when not in use (except when using GPS).

• Turn off GPS receiver when not in use.

• Turn off Cell transceiver when not in use.
    Change the way you do things with your device:

• Minimize media playback use.
    • Minimize use of e-mail and browsing.

• Once in a while (every few weeks), drain battery until dead, then recharge 100%
    • Keep a spare charger in your car and/or office.

Again, these are the ways you can consume battery life and yes, some are extreme but if you're serious about conserving your phone's battery, these are some great suggestions.

I hope this helps!

David

David Scammell, Feb 10, 2020
Thema:

Need help with improving battery life and diagnosing any potential problems.

1. Need help with improving battery life and diagnosing any potential problems. - Similar Threads - Need help improving

2. Need Help Diagnosing Instabilities

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need Help Diagnosing Instabilities: Hello, I have recently been experiencing system instabilies ranging from application crashes to various forms of BSOD. I have done what I know how to in addressing the issues, and have lessened them greatly, but have yet to completely correct the issues. Recently it seems...
  3. BSOD - need help diagnosing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD - need help diagnosing: Hi, as explained I need some help diagnosing a BSOD.The issues occur usually once or twice a day, more often when I'm in the process of closing an application usually a game.I've done all windows updates and driver updates I can, I've also upgraded from Win10 to Win11 after a...
  4. Has the Battery life improved in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Has the Battery life improved in Windows 11?: I checked the sentiment and reviews for Windows 11, and the starting few months were pretty draining for the battery, but no update as of May/June for the battery issue, is it finally at par with Windows 10 or still lacking? I am a heavy user, and usual battery life from...
  5. Has the Battery life improved in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Has the Battery life improved in Windows 11?: I checked the sentiment and reviews for Windows 11, and the starting few months were pretty draining for the battery, but no update as of May/June for the battery issue, is it finally at par with Windows 10 or still lacking? I am a heavy user, and usual battery life from...
  6. Help diagnosing potential hardware related BSOD "FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help diagnosing potential hardware related BSOD "FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE": I got a BSOD recently and I need help determining the problem. After the blue screen of death I found the dump file the system made and ran it through WinDbg to analyze the file. And I checked this forum and found someone with a similar issue and someone mentioned to run the...
  7. Help diagnosing potential hardware related BSOD "FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help diagnosing potential hardware related BSOD "FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE": I got a BSOD recently and I need help determining the problem. After the blue screen of death I found the dump file the system made and ran it through WinDbg to analyze the file. And I checked this forum and found someone with a similar issue and someone mentioned to run the...
  8. Help diagnosing potential hardware related BSOD "FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Battery Life Help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Battery Life Help: I have scoured the internet and either I'm searching the wrong thing or no one knows the exact answer. I keep my Windows 10 up-to-date at all times. But for some reason, my battery cannot go higher than 59%. No matter how long I charge my laptop, it won't charge past there....
  10. Windows 10 version 1909 Improvement In Battery Life + Performance ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 version 1909 Improvement In Battery Life + Performance ?: Hi, One of the change-logs for Windows 10 1909 talks about improvements in general battery life and power efficiency for devices with certain processors & introducing a new processor rotation policy that distributes work more fairly among these favored cores. I cannot...