Windows 10: Need help with indexing external drive

Discus and support Need help with indexing external drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am working with an external drive. I can get the target folder indexed 100 GB but, I am doing numerous deletions and need to see the updated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TCConner, Jan 28, 2020.

1. TCConner Win User

Need help with indexing external drive

I am working with an external drive. I can get the target folder indexed 100 GB but, I am doing numerous deletions and need to see the updated contents of the drive and folders on a real-time basis. The index does not reflect the current contents of the folder and recreating the index takes hours. Is there any option for just updating the index with the changes, rather than recreating the entire index?

:)

TCConner, Jan 28, 2020

2. Indexing external drives W10

No Joy

It seems to think there are no issues.

To be clear INDEXING works on the C Drive but not the new E USB external drive even though I have added it to the list of drives to INDEX

PaulHoebeck, Jan 28, 2020
  3. External hard drive indexing information lost

Hi,

It would be great if you can provide me with this information for a better understanding.

1. Did you add the external hard drive to the list of locations to be indexed from the Indexing Options?

2. By mentioning “it's registered as an indexed location” do you mean that you have already done this?

If you haven’t added the external hard disk in the Indexing Options, then I would suggest you to follow these instructions and let’s know the result.

a) Press “windows Logo” + “W” keys on the keyboard to display the “Settings” search bar.

b) Type “Indexing Options” in that search box and press “Enter” key on the keyboard.

c) In the “Indexing Options” window, click on “Modify” button.

d) Under “Change selected locations”, select the external hard disk and add it to the indexing location list.

e) If you are unable to find the hard disk drive in that list, then click on “Show all locations” and check if the hard disk is shown up there.

f) Click on “Ok” and then click on “Close”.

Please let me know, if that helps.

You may now check if the issue still happens or not. If the issue persists, you may get back to us with more information about the issue.

Kind Regards:

Engr. Malik Yasir

MALIK YASIRNAWAZ, Jan 28, 2020
  4. Dalmango Win User

Search Not Indexing Optical Drive

Thanks,

• When you mentioned D Drive, are you pertaining to a partition or a separate external drive? - D Drive = Solid State Drive; 1 of 2 internal drives (the other being an optical drive);
    • Were you able to check if indexing was already completed? - Indexing completed on each attempt of rectification;
    • In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter - Done prior to posting; useless! It does not find any problems.

Dalmango, Jan 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Need help with indexing external drive - Similar Threads - Need help indexing

2. I need help initializing my external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I need help initializing my external drive: Whenever I try to initialize the hard drive I keep getting an error, I've followed the steps but I can't seem to initialize it. I've initialized it as GPT and MBR, I have a Lenovo F309, 1TBCould I please get some help...
  3. I need help initializing my external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help initializing my external drive: Whenever I try to initialize the hard drive I keep getting an error, I've followed the steps but I can't seem to initialize it. I've initialized it as GPT and MBR, I have a Lenovo F309, 1TBCould I please get some help...
  4. I need help initializing my external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is there a way to disable indexing of certain external drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to disable indexing of certain external drives?: I have recently purchased an external 4TB USB HDD. Using it as a backup, that means it's been more than half full from the start, and I need to be able to just connect it to any PC and update the backups quickly. The problem is that Windows 10 starts indexing the drive as...
  6. Is there a way to disable indexing of certain external drives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to disable indexing of certain external drives?: I have recently purchased an external 4TB USB HDD. Using it as a backup, that means it's been more than half full from the start, and I need to be able to just connect it to any PC and update the backups quickly. The problem is that Windows 10 starts indexing the drive as...
  7. Is there a way to disable indexing of certain external drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Need Help With Hyper V & External Drives

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Need Help With Hyper V & External Drives: Hi There I am running Windows 11 in a VM. All is working fine expect that I cannot see how to show my external hard drives in File Explorer. When I first ran the VM I clicked on something (!) and they appeared. That VM was accidently deleted and now I cannot recall how I got...
  9. Need Help With Hyper V & External Drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Need Help With Hyper V & External Drives: Hi There I am running Windows 11 in a VM. All is working fine expect that I cannot see how to show my external hard drives in File Explorer. When I first ran the VM I clicked on something (!) and they appeared. That VM was accidently deleted and now I cannot recall how I got...
  10. Stop Windows from saving external drive indexes

in Windows 10 Support
    Stop Windows from saving external drive indexes: Hi, I have an external hard drive that I use at work and at home. When I copy something onto the drive at home and take it to work the new files is not visible. I have to check the drive for errors before it sees the new files. I guess this is because Windows saves an...