Windows 10: Need help with trace analyse - system slowing down when mouse pointer

Discus and support Need help with trace analyse - system slowing down when mouse pointer in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, we have a strange problem. It's on Windows Server 2016 but it's also reproducable on "normal" Windows 10. We are running approx 160 Processes on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Andy P, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Andy P Win User

Need help with trace analyse - system slowing down when mouse pointer

Hi, we have a strange problem. It's on Windows Server 2016 but it's also reproducable on "normal" Windows 10. We are running approx 160 Processes on the system. The total CPU amounts to 10-16%. Now the problem: Everytime the mouse pointer is on the clean desktop (not over icon or any windows) the system is slow as hell. Not just our processes but all other (even a processhacker-window) behaves absolutly slow. If the mouse pointer is over any window or the taskbar - all is well again. I have some talk with Bruce Dawson His Blog but he doesn't have the time (of course) to make an analyse of my ETL-Trace. He suggest to post it online and ask for help. I've made a screenshot of WPA to explain shortly: I have annotated the screenshot so one can see where the mouse is on desktop or window. In the stacks-view one can see that the amount of contextswitches is going down when mouse is over desktop and in the CPU Usage (Sampled) view there are RtlUserThreadStart-Entries exactly for this time but I have no idea where they come from. The first of our processes is the "ProcessController.exe" which starts all the other like "GpioController.exe", "DCIIF_Simulation" or "RouterIF_Simulation.exe" etc. They all communicate with a process called "StatusController.exe", but in the trace they do only heartbeat between these. Bruce told me to find the point where our process is waiting on something, but I can't find a lock or anything similar. I've uploaded a zipped etl-trace if someone accepts the challenge. Zipped ETL-Trace

:)

Andy P, Aug 10, 2021

2. Mouse Pointer

Hi,

You can customize your mouse in a variety of ways in Windows. To change how your mouse pointer looks, you can follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the Start menu, then click Control Panel.
    • Select Mouse, then go to the Pointers tab.
    • Select the pointer you prefer from the drop-down list, click
      Apply > OK.

If you want to use a pointer that is not on the list, you can download it online. After that, go to Control Panel > Mouse > Pointers tab again, then click
    Browse.

Update us if it addressed your issue.

Angela Pun, Aug 10, 2021
  3. Mouse Pointer almost invisible when pressed Win + G in games.

Hi Isaquede,

For us to properly isolate the issue with your mouse pointer, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes/updates made on your device?
    • When did the issue begin?
    • Is it happening in all your activities?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far to resolve this?

In the meantime, we suggest that check these article: Mouse, touchpad, and keyboard problems in Windows
    & How to troubleshoot mouse pointer display issues in Microsoft games, and follow
    the troubleshooting steps to resolve your mouse pointer issue.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Aug 10, 2021
  4. Ian Ser Win User

The Mouse Pointer (THE OLD ONE?)

Hi Amir,

Are you using an external mouse or the touch pad mouse? You can change the way how your mouse pointer looks by following these steps:

1. Press Windows key on your keyboard, type Change your mouse settings and select the search result.
    2. On the window that would appear, click Additional mouse options.
    3. On the Pointers tab, under Scheme, click
      Windows Default (system scheme)
      on the drop-down menu.

Let me know if there are improvements.

Ian Ser, Aug 10, 2021
Thema:

1. Need help with trace analyse - system slowing down when mouse pointer - Similar Threads - Need help trace

2. Mouse pointer suddenly slowed down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse pointer suddenly slowed down: I had a power outage and upon restart the mouse pointer was moving painfully slow. now the speed settings are maxed out and it's still slower than it used to be. I've uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, and also disabled "enhance mouse precision" with no effect whatsoever....
  3. Mouse pointer suddenly slowed down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse pointer suddenly slowed down: I had a power outage and upon restart the mouse pointer was moving painfully slow. now the speed settings are maxed out and it's still slower than it used to be. I've uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, and also disabled "enhance mouse precision" with no effect whatsoever....
  4. laptop lag and mouse pointer slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    laptop lag and mouse pointer slow: While using my laptop, it intermittently experiences significant lag and freezes, causing applications to open and perfome slowly and the mouse pointer to become unresponsive and gets lag . I typically resolve this issue by restarting the laptop, after which everything...
  5. laptop lag and mouse pointer slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    laptop lag and mouse pointer slow: While using my laptop, it intermittently experiences significant lag and freezes, causing applications to open and perfome slowly and the mouse pointer to become unresponsive and gets lag . I typically resolve this issue by restarting the laptop, after which everything...
  6. Mouse pointer on shut down thing.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Mouse pointer on shut down thing.: So this happened 2 days ago i was trying to shut down my computer but suddenly it stopped at the shutting down part and my mouse pointer was there i let it sit and leave it to shut down after 10 mins i cant take it anymore i pressed my mouse button and it shutted down it...
  7. Mouse pointer slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mouse pointer slow: Every time I start Windows the mouse pointer gets extremely slow and laggy for about one minute. I want to know if it is a problem with my computer or a driver. Excuse my english...
  8. BSOD help needed analysing logfile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD help needed analysing logfile: For the past few days, my PC has crashed shortly after bootup, but has then remained stable. Here are the relevant lines from the dump file, can anyone help me decipher them? Many thanks... [img] 105215
  9. Mouse pointer speed slowed dramatically

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse pointer speed slowed dramatically: I'm well aware of the pointer speed setting under Mouse Options in the Control Panel (interesting point about that later), but it's not something I had messed with, and isn't something I could have accidentally messed with this morning. Nevertheless, my pointer speed...
  10. Slowing mouse pointer with keybind?

in Windows 10 Support
    Slowing mouse pointer with keybind?: I vaguely recall using an accessibility setting or maybe a 3rd party app that would slow down my pointer speed when I held down a certain key, anyone familiar with this? I find it useful to decrease my pointer speed when using painting apps and such for the increased...