Windows 10: Need help with tranferring settings to new router

Discus and support Need help with tranferring settings to new router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. I have little networking knowledge, but still it is the best they have on site. They have a TP Link N750 router... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SJMaye, Nov 12, 2019.

1. SJMaye Win User

Need help with tranferring settings to new router

I volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. I have little networking knowledge, but still it is the best they have on site. They have a TP Link N750 router on their network which is failing and needs to be replaced. It will be replaced with a Linksys AC1900 router. I have transferred all the wifi and sign on settings, but I may need help with device specific IP settings (I think).

Background- I tried this before by simply replacing the old router with another router. Everything worked as it should except the Point of Sale (POS) computer. It could not connect to its server which is also on the LAN. I assumed the reason for this could be in some router settings specific to those computers such as a static IP or reserved IP address.

Currently- I got the MAC address for each of the POS and server. Now as I look at any device list on the old router I cannot find these MAC addresses at all.

Please tell me what I am missing.

:)

SJMaye, Nov 12, 2019
  2. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Nov 12, 2019
  3. DNS problems with router

A couple suggestions I have for you:

Update the firmware on the router. Maybe it's getting into a badstate, and a firmware update might fix it. Or if you're comfortable with it, install a custom firmware like dd-wrt. Just make sure its supported on your router first.

Change your DNS to: 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.1. Might help.

If none of these work, maybe statically set your DNS on your PS3/PC to the IPs you listed, taking the router out of the lookup procedure.

Last option, is look for a new router.

Hybrid_theory, Nov 12, 2019
  4. RejZoR Win User

RejZoR, Nov 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Need help with tranferring settings to new router - Similar Threads - Need help tranferring

2. lost my router password. Now I need to add a new device. Help!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    lost my router password. Now I need to add a new device. Help!: Someone else set up my router connection. now I need to add another device. How do I find my password? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-my-router-password-now-i-need-to-add-a-new/e4057ba4-04c0-4f4b-8945-4dfad3394e65
  3. lost my router password. Now I need to add a new device. Help!

in Windows 10 Customization
    lost my router password. Now I need to add a new device. Help!: Someone else set up my router connection. now I need to add another device. How do I find my password? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-my-router-password-now-i-need-to-add-a-new/e4057ba4-04c0-4f4b-8945-4dfad3394e65
  4. lost my router password. Now I need to add a new device. Help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Needing a New Router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Needing a New Router: I was wondering if anyone can recommend a router? Someone on here sent me one for free a while back, but it went out, so now I'm without one again. . haha. . . I like Linksys Routers, cuz it's all i've ever used. But, i'm inclined to switch if the price is right. . . I can...
  6. Would a new router help?

Would a new router help?: My TPLink Archer C8 router is about 6 years old, it's supposed to provide 1300Mbps link on the 5GHz 802.11ac wifi, but the best I ever get (from 15ft away) on my laptop with Intel AC9560 is 886.7Mbps. I have visited the Intel sites to verify my laptop adapter settings are...
  7. Need help with tranferring settings to new router

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help with tranferring settings to new router: I volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. I have little networking knowledge, but still it is the best they have on site. They have a TP Link N750 router on their network which is failing and needs to be replaced. It will be replaced with a Linksys AC1900 router. I have...
  8. MICROSOFT SAYS ROUTER SET FOR WEP NEEDS TO BE REPLACED

MICROSOFT SAYS ROUTER SET FOR WEP NEEDS TO BE REPLACED: AFTER REINSTALLING WINDOWS 10 ON MY LENOVO LAPTOP IDEAPADP400 MY INTERNET CONNECTION SAYS THE LAPTOP HAS NO INTERNET CONNECTION AND THE ROUTER USING WEP ENCRYPTION SHOULD BE REPLACED. IS THIS A MICROSOFT DRIVER PROBLEM OR A LENOVO DRIVER PROBLEM?...
  9. router help

router help: is it possible someone can tell me where to go and get help with a router setup. I bought a used router off ebay and I think I need software . I am a total dummy when trying this. The type is a Linksys mod. WRT54G v5. Thanks Ben 72551
  10. Need a router!

Need a router!: Need to replace my router but know nothing about them! 3000 sq ft single level home Grandsons do a lot of gaming Wife binge watches Netflix Multiple devices will be in use at same time Currently have a Buffalo AC 1300 4 port with a Netgear 5 port switch so need as many...