Windows 10: Need help with Upgrade installation

Discus and support Need help with Upgrade installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi About a week ago whilst trying to fix my corrupted Steam installation,i was advised to restart in Safe mode and networking.Bad luck for me is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ladderman, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Ladderman Win User

Need help with Upgrade installation

Hi

About a week ago whilst trying to fix my corrupted Steam installation,i was advised to restart in Safe mode and networking.Bad luck for me is that I did this from MSconfig(Safe boot and network),and not using the boot manager and choosing Safe mode and networking from the Startup choices.

Now my PC won't boot up at all.Have tried all the different options tried all the Advanced options to fix things but nothing.

I used my recovery DVD to do an upgrade installation,but it says Windows has to start normally to do this.

Is there any way I can make a bootable USB stick to get me to Windows,and do an upgrade installation?.I would like to do this as opposed to 1.5 Tb of games & DLC.

My apologies if I can't see the bootable USB stick to get me to Windows in the sticky posts.I have looked through plenty this past week trying to sort out my problem and my head is spinning!!.

Thanks in advance

Colin

:)

Ladderman, Feb 27, 2018

2. Rolling back to Windows 7 from Windows 10, then back to 10 when support for 7 ends.

1. Go back to Windows 7 or go back to the previous build?

2. Did you purchase the refurbished computer on 10 January, first use it on 10 January, or did the refurbisher (I assume) "install" Win10 on 10 January?

3a. Where did you purchased the refurbished computer?

3b. Do you know who refurbished it?

4. What Windows 10 Version & OS Build is currently installed?

Press & hold the Windows Key and press the R
    key. In the RUN dialog, type WINVER and press the Enter key.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments:

• IMHO you can't trust the security of any used computer unless & until YOU have formatted the HDD & then done a clean install of Windows (or paid someone - not the supposed "refurbisher" - to do it for you).
    • Mom's prolly better off sticking with Win10. Learning new stuff is good for her! <wink>

We purchased the computer from a Comprenew store on January 18, but the date on the OS install was January 10. We just activated the software on the 18th. Comprenew recycles old electronics etc. and is a certified Microsoft refurbisher. I am not positive
    which build is installed, but I can find it when I get over there. It looks like we have lots of help here to figure things out... all is tremendously appreciated. And... yes....it is good for her to learn new stuff, so we are trying to encourage her to
    learn the "new" Windows OS. We'll see what happens. Thanks again! Need help with Upgrade installation :) Oh yeah, I do need to double check if it says go back to Windows7 or previous build...thanks for that. I've been looking at too many computers lately... can't remember which one says
    what. :[

Need some help with..., Feb 27, 2018
  3. Information from calender missing after updating to version 1709

Hi, and thanks. There were only about 10 or so events with a couple paragraphs of notes on each event. The syncing process was taking hours. Something isn't right. I'm pretty sure it's not a bandwidth issue. The same message keeps coming up stating "We're
    not able to show you some events in this time frame. But They're still there-via your account provider." What exactly does that mean. It sounds like it should be a simple fix. Has anyone else had this issue and resolved it? I really need this info.

One other thing, as you can see, there does not appear to be another restore point prior to the 1709 update. All attempts failed.

Need some help with..., Feb 27, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Depending on what you have done to your PC, you have an outside chance of getting it to boot again by restoring the backup copy of your registry.

Before considering that, have you tried System Restore from the Advanced Startup options?

You may still be able to access system restore (depending on the state of your disk) by booting your PC from a Win 10 installation medium, clicking 'Repair your computer' and navigating through the menus until you see System Restore.

That only applies if you ever enabled system restore and haven't already tried it.

Turning to restoring the backup copy of your registry:
    The easiest way would be to use Kyhi's boot disk from the top of the Software and Apps section here so you can use file explorer.

The following instructions (attached) relate to using a command prompt:

Note: had you been in the habit of routinely using disk imaging as we constantly recommend, you would have saved yourself a great deal of time, and been able to restore your PC to a previous working state quite quickly. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage for disk image sets.

dalchina, Feb 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Need help with Upgrade installation - Similar Threads - Need help Upgrade

2. need help installing windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need help installing windows upgrade: help install windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-installing-windows-upgrade/d30f41f1-be1c-4394-99d6-1696fd7c5d55
  3. need help installing windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    need help installing windows upgrade: help install windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-installing-windows-upgrade/d30f41f1-be1c-4394-99d6-1696fd7c5d55
  4. need help installing windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 11 upgrade - help needed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 upgrade - help needed: When i run pc health check, i get message PC doesn't meet w11 requirement. The only mismatch is processor.However my processor is appearing in the list of CPU. PFA snapshot. Is this a bug in the tool?...
  6. Need Upgrade Help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need Upgrade Help: Hello, I have bought a gaming laptop and have been planning to upgrade it's 256gb nvme ssd to a 1tb nvme ssd when it arrives. However, I have no idea how I would transfer Windows 10 and the Windows 10 license to the new ssd since the laptop only has 1 nvme m.2 slot. Is there...
  7. Need help upgrading to 20H2

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Need help upgrading to 20H2: I will have to enable updates before I start but, after enabling updates do I just do a manual search for updates or, is there another route I need to take? Here, is my current system info. Or, should I download an iso like I did the last time I think! *Think [img] 167501
  8. Upgrading and need help please.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Upgrading and need help please.: Hello everyone. I'm sorry for my bad English. I bought a PC about 4 years ago and I am now looking to upgrade my graphic card. I have a $300 budget and i'm looking to get a good bang for my buck and compatible with my current set up. My system Specs : CPS - Intel(R) Core(TM)...
  9. Need help with upgrading of hardware.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help with upgrading of hardware.: Hi there! I need to replace some of the hardware in my PC, due to electrical damage. I will list as much information as I can, but please ask if you require more info, or if something does not make sense. (English is not my first language). Here is a list of the current...
  10. PC Upgrade - Help needed.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC Upgrade - Help needed.: Hi, wanted to change my mboard, RAM memory and CPU and have these under my wishlist, in order to move forward, I would like to know if these will be compatible with the existing hardware. Thanks for the time spent with this issue. Intel i7 5930K CPU Processor (3.50GHz,...