Windows 10: Need Help With Using File Explorer to Arrange Files and Folders

Discus and support Need Help With Using File Explorer to Arrange Files and Folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 Home Edition, version 2004, and am having trouble using the File Explorer feature. I'm not sure just how to explain/describe the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Rayzen, May 14, 2021.

1. Rayzen Win User

Need Help With Using File Explorer to Arrange Files and Folders

I'm running Windows 10 Home Edition, version 2004, and am having trouble using the File Explorer feature. I'm not sure just how to explain/describe the problem, but will try, hoping that it makes sense. My favorite place for saving things has always been to my desktop; that way, I can later decide where to arrange them, placing them into the appropriate folders. It used to work great, but I must've accidentally changed something, because I can no longer do it as before. Before, when I clicked on 'File Explorer,' a long column of my folders would appear at the left of the screen. Then, when I wanted to move something which I had saved to my desktop into a existing folder, I would just click on 'Desktop' and a window containing everything on my desktop would appear at the right of the screen. Finally, I would simply drag the newly-downloaded file from the desktop over to whichever folder I wanted on the left of the screen. So, for example, if I wanted to move a newly-downloaded picture of a dog, I would open File Explorer, and the list of all my folders would appear at the left of the screen. Then, I would open the desktop, where my newly-downloaded picture of a dog is. Last, I would just drag the new picture of the dog to my 'Animal Pictures' folder. Easy. However, now, when I click on 'File Explorer,' the long column of my folders appears, as before, but when I then open the desktop, that long column of folders disappears and the Desktop appears. The long column of my existing folders and the desktop don't appear both at the same time, so I now cannot just drag a file or folder from the desktop to a desired for storage. As stated, it just seems as though I must've changed some setting while monkeying around, but I sure don't know how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Rayzen, May 14, 2021

2. how to auto arrange PDF files in a folder

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In which format are you trying arrange the PDF files?

By default, File explorer will sort the files and folders in alphabetical order. You can also select other sorting options to arrange your files. I suggest you to try the following steps mentioned below and check if that helps:

1. Open File Explorer.

2. Click on View.

3. Now click on the Sort by drop down.

4. Select the option that best suits your needs.

Note: All the files or folder in File Explorer will be sorted in the format that you have selected. This option will remain until it is changed manually.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, May 14, 2021
  3. File Arrangement

Hi,Sunshine_952! I'm Leonardo! An Independent Advisor and also a Microsoft user for several years. I'll be more than happy to assist you today!

That feature is no longer native on Windows 10. In order to freely arrange the itens within a folder, you're gonna have to disable Auto Arrange.

If you want to disable auto arrange inside a folder you need to do the following:

1. Open Registry Editor by pressing Windows Key + R and typing regedit in the input field.

2. Navigate to the following key on the left panel:

3. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

4. Now delete the Bags subkey.

5. Navigate to this key:

6. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

7. Delete the Bags subkey here again.

8. Navigate to this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\NoRoam

9. Delete the Bags subkey here as well. After that close Registry Editor.

10. Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc. Locate Windows Explorer from the list of processes, and click the Restart button.

11. Download disable-auto-arrange.zip (https://winaero.com/download.php?view.1792)

12. Extract the files from the archive you just downloaded.

13. Run disableautoarrange.reg to add it to your registry.

14. Open This PC and close it.

15. Now repeat Step 6 to restart Windows Explorer.

Auto arrange should be disabled now and you can freely arrange files inside folders. We have to mention that this method works only for large icons, medium icons, small icons, and extra-large icons icon views.

===================================

To disable auto arrange in File Explorer, do the following:

1. Open any folder using File Explorer and right-click the empty space.

2. Go to View and make sure that the Auto arrange option is unchecked.

3. If the option is turned off you can easily arrange items in any way you want.

4. Navigate to this key:

o HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\NoRoam

5. Delete the Bags subkey here as well. After that close Registry Editor.

6. Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc. Locate Windows Explorer from the list of processes, and click the Restart button

7. Download disable-auto-arrange.zip.

8. Extract the files from the archive you just downloaded.

9. Run disableautoarrange.reg to add it to your registry.

10. Open This PC and close it.

11. Now repeat Step 6 to restart Windows Explorer.

Auto arranges should be disabled. Try to freely arrange files inside folders to check if this method worked. Again, keep in mind that this method works only for the large icons, medium icons, small icons, and extra-large icons icon views.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Leonardo Mesquita

Independent Advisor

Leonardo Penha Mesquita, May 14, 2021
  4. Need Help With Using File Explorer to Arrange Files and Folders

How to arrange files in an alphabetical order

Hi Julie,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you wish to arrange files in an alphabetical order.

Let us try the following steps, and check if it helps.

• Open the folder or library that you want to sort in the File Explorer.

• Go to View
      on the top and expand the View ribbon by double clicking on it. Click Sort by, and then select Name, then click Ascending.

Hope it helps.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with the issue. We are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, May 14, 2021
Thema:

Need Help With Using File Explorer to Arrange Files and Folders

1. Need Help With Using File Explorer to Arrange Files and Folders - Similar Threads - Need Help Using

2. Need help with File Explorer Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help with File Explorer Problem: I am on Windows 10 and I opened my File explorer one day and found it blank. I have my folders on the side but the main file areas are gone. It works when I'm on another site or program like when I'm uploading a picture to Discord, but when I normally open File Explorer it is...
  3. i need help with file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i need help with file explorer: how do i fix this. everytime i press or select a file windows explorer takes a long time or never to done selecting the file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-help-with-file-explorer/bec67735-e07b-42d0-8e28-4d2546a16029
  4. Need help with File Explorer "Theme" or Folder Icon

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help with File Explorer "Theme" or Folder Icon: So i'll link below some screenshots that i took from a video (the first one) compared to my look of the file explorer icons. Can anybody help me change the one that i currently have (the one with the dark BG) to the one First screenshot? https://imgur.com/a/eK0QiOI...
  5. Arranging files in order in a Folder

Arranging files in order in a Folder: Hello, On WIndows 10 I am trying to send a manuscript to a publisher. I have a folder already on the desktop and my word documents 30 of them that must be shown in the correct order that I have copied them into the Folder. I tried this yesterday but on the 4th attempt of...
  6. File Arrangement

File Arrangement: How do I manually change the order of files in a folder? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-arrangement/3d707450-b677-493b-b594-e822985a3c39
  7. File Explorer Problem Need Help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer Problem Need Help: In May 9th, 2020 My computer suddenly has a Window Explorer Problem where it doesn't show anything Everything that runs in Window Explorer like Control Panel, doesn't seem to work The strange thing is when I want to upload a picture or a file explorer in Gmail, Whatsapp,...
  8. Arranging items within file folders in File Explorer

Arranging items within file folders in File Explorer: I understand that older versions of windows allowed the user to move items to whatever order they wanted. I am trying to create playlists with my music and it's just impossible! I have to be satisfied with alphabetical or whatever and cannot simply move the items to the order...
  9. File arrangement on-screen with Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    File arrangement on-screen with Explorer: I originally had this problem on a Win machine and it was solved by someone called Brix??? I need to be able to move a thumbnail of a file (usually of a photo) ini the usual panel in Explorer. But if I drag and drop, the file merely goes back to its original place. Brix...
  10. Windows Explorer folder arrangement

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer folder arrangement: Hi- I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and when I am viewing my photo library in Windows Explorer, I can no longer get the photos grouped by month. The "sort by" and "group by" menus are identical (name, date, type, size, ascending, descending, more) as opposed to how it was...