Windows 10: Need Help With Windows Upgrade please

Discus and support Need Help With Windows Upgrade please in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Pro build 240 installed (and activated) currently, but I want to update to (at minimum) the November Update, currently my start menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kstingel, Jan 25, 2016.

1. kstingel Win User

Need Help With Windows Upgrade please

I have Windows 10 Pro build 240 installed (and activated) currently, but I want to update to (at minimum) the November Update, currently my start menu is 'broken' because after upgrading from Win 7 I had 512+ shortcuts

I have a single (500GB) Hard disk which has been partitioned to create C & D drives ... my User Data and Post (Win) Install software are on D drive

If I do a clean install, will that wipe the entire Hard disk, or just the System (C) partition? I'm asking so I know what I need to backup .. (the whole drive, or just the C partition)

Additionally, will a clean install fix my Win 10 Start Menu?

:)

kstingel, Jan 25, 2016

2. Calendar appointments automatically delete after two weeks on Window 7 HD7

over the weekend I syn an ipohne 3 with actisyn and it all my appointments dating back to 2007 were on my iphone device. therefore any and all suggestions that its a server or exchange limitation is BS. Microsoft please look into it for your self and
    stand behind the product you sell. Limitation on calendars for 2 weeks is ludicrous. HTC is right. Its an OS issue.

Need HELP NOW PLEASE, Jan 25, 2016
  3. Calendar appointments automatically delete after two weeks on Window 7 HD7

Just finished speaking to HTC support and confirmed that the HD7 Phone does not have settings to control the calendar settings. Hence you can not leave calendar entries on unit more than 2 weeks. W7 OS automatically deletes entries. Entries stay on
    your server/outlook but can not be viewed on device. If you manually add an appointment which is two weeks past on your device it appears on Outlook/server but not on device. They auto delete after two weeks. WHY WHY WHY This is useless. HTC advised that
    this is Windows OS. NEED AN UPDATE. Should have stayed with the Blackberry.

Need HELP NOW PLEASE, Jan 25, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

You can delete all partitions, or just the OS one. I recommend imaging both partitions.

I'm not familiar with your start menu problem. 10240 was supposed to have a 512 entry limit, which was increased to 2048 in the 1511 (aka 10586) build.

bobkn, Jan 25, 2016
  5. kstingel Win User
    apologies, it was supposed to read "512+" not 52+

have edited and fixed the typo

kstingel, Jan 25, 2016
  6. kstingel Win User
    as an alternative, is it possible to (clean) install to an external drive from within my current Windows, then just swap out the drive and plug the newly installed Windows drive in?

I have limited Sata ports, else I would just drop the larger (non-partitioned) drive into box and do a clean install to it

kstingel, Jan 25, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    That will not work. Just creates usb installation stick using MS media creation tool, insert it and run setup.exe.

The upgrade is pretty much a reinstall anyway, so hopefully it will work fine. You can boot from usb stick and clean install if you prefer, only overwriting C drive. Back up D partition first as crap happens.

cereberus, Jan 25, 2016
  8. kstingel Win User

Am I correct in assuming that a clean install would erase any folder junctions currently existing between C & D drives?
    (at present, C:/Users is actually D:/Users, but I would like to reset Windows to defaults and retain the data from D if I can so I can selectively recover the stuff I need)

If I clean install, overwriting only C drive, and initializing/installing my needed Apps
    then use a (reputable) third Party program to backup the freshly installed C-drive
    and later obtain a larger SATA drive

will restoring (in preference to cloning) the backed up fresh C-drive to the new
    SATA drive effectively give me back a Pristine Windows 10 Installation?

kstingel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need Help With Windows Upgrade please - Similar Threads - Need Help Upgrade

2. HELP NEEDED PLEASE!!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HELP NEEDED PLEASE!!!!: When i play forza horizon 4 on my pc It's suddenly drops frames,when i first time open the game it works absolutely fine @60fps high settings.but when i enter the menu againfor 2nd time to change the car then frames suddenly drops drastically!!!even my while pc lagging and...
  3. need help !Please

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    need help !Please: I purchased acer laptop from flipcart in which microsoft windows came preinstalled in my laptop.After a one and half year .I don't know how windows get currupted ,results all my data got loss.I was in college ,I need instant os then i uninstalled windows and install ubuntu...
  4. Help needed please

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help needed please: On my laptop when I close the lid it will shutdown after couple of minutes. Before it will only goes to sleep and it is there when I open it. But now, I need to restart the PC because it shuts me down. I didnt change on anything about this laptop and I make sure that the PC...
  5. Please need help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Please need help: PC stuck at the welcome screen right now. I cant get the sign in page to open. This Windows 10 always have issue. Before I performed clean install just to fix windows 10 update issue and that is a long time ago. Now, the PC stuck at welcome and nothing help. If I need to...
  6. Need help please!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Need help please!: So unfortunately for me i was watching a movie last night when it said my internet connection has stopped and error etc... which is now working and fixed but i experienced a issue when my internet cut out at that time, my pictures/videos and settings and mail were all...
  7. Need help please

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help please: So yesterday i updated my win10 and every time before a update it start lagging and going all robot mode with me. It always ends after the update. But today ir happened 3 times and the one way to fix it temporarily is to shut it down, it doesn't even wanna go down itself i...
  8. Upgrading and need help please.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Upgrading and need help please.: Hello everyone. I'm sorry for my bad English. I bought a PC about 4 years ago and I am now looking to upgrade my graphic card. I have a $300 budget and i'm looking to get a good bang for my buck and compatible with my current set up. My system Specs : CPS - Intel(R) Core(TM)...
  9. need help please

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    need help please: windows 10 not activating after hardware change even tho its installed on already on my SSD and has a digital code on my account...
  10. need help please

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    need help please: I can't download battle net app on my pc to play blizzard games it wont even download it says on 1 or 2 percent and doesn't go up ugh please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-please/85742886-788d-4482-ba68-682a568b0dae