Windows 10: Need more information intelppm.sys. Windows not using max CPU when load demands.

Discus and support Need more information intelppm.sys. Windows not using max CPU when load demands. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Should Windows use full Intel CPU power when load demands it? It doesn't according to task manager and performance monitor. Many people think it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jaygourley, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Need more information intelppm.sys. Windows not using max CPU when load demands.

Should Windows use full Intel CPU power when load demands it? It doesn't according to task manager and performance monitor. Many people think it should. A quick search will confirm this.

A widely recommended fix is to remove the intelppm.sys key from the registry. Apparently from many reports, this works. At least for the problem it's meant to fix.

However, I have read that Microsoft and Intel have some experience with processors and operating systems. That leads me to think, they might have had a reason for limiting the processor speed in my computer.

So before I unleash my computer, I'd like to know why they thought it should be hobbled. I'm a math student whose computer needs to do some computationally heavy lifting. And I am sadly disappointed with the performance of my brand new i7 16Gb, which is a plugged-in desktop with no need to prolong battery life. Waiting on it to populate large matrices is slowing the progress of my education.

If there is a solution short of putting my new computer on Ebay and spending $2000 on a more powerful workstation, I'd really like to know about it.

:)

jaygourley, Feb 19, 2021
  2. Oliver253 Win User

CPU throttling due to intelppm

Hello,

thank you for the reply, I tried both suggestions, no change, and I think it's a hardware error after all.

With the intelppm driver disabled, the laptop shuts down every now and then, mostly under load, the event log simply states that the previous system shutdown was unexpected.

Also, open Hardware Monitor is showing one CPU core running at around 100 degrees Celsius, with very little relation to load, while the other core is between 40 to 70 degrees depending on the load. The laptop itself is cool to touch, the BIOS-controlled
    fan is running quietly most of the time and I've cleaned the heatsink, changed the thermal paste some time ago, so I assume it's a sensor malfunction.

I assume the shutdowns are caused by the incorrect temperature reading, does this happen on a hardware level, or is there any way of disabling it in Windows? I have the latest BIOS, and there are no such options.

Oliver253, Feb 19, 2021
  3. SerhiyIA Win User
    'System and compressed memory' on ASUS G75VY notebook load CPU always on 16%

thank you for your reply!

here what I did:

1. disabled non-microsoft services, disabled all applications in startup list

result: after restart "system and compressed memory" still gain 17% CPU

2. ran PC into safe mode ( just to see what happens )

result: CPU load is 0% for "system and compressed memory"

3. ran PC in normal mode

result: CPU load is 0% for "system and compressed memory"

as we can see from step 1, the problem probably is not in applications ?

what would you suggest in this case ?

looking forward for your answer

SerhiyIA, Feb 19, 2021
  4. Solaris17 Win User

Need more information intelppm.sys. Windows not using max CPU when load demands.

is there any demand for a system configurator?

Processor(V) <--drop down arrow
    -AMD(V)
    --Socket(V)
    ---AM2(V)
    ----List of cpu's
    ---939(V)
    ----List of CPU's
    -Intel(V)
    --Socket(V)
    ---775(V)
    ----List of cpu's
    ---771(V)
    ----List of CPU's

etc etc.

Solaris17, Feb 19, 2021
Thema:

Need more information intelppm.sys. Windows not using max CPU when load demands.

1. Need more information intelppm.sys. Windows not using max CPU when load demands. - Similar Threads - Need more information

2. Conhost using more then 60% CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Conhost using more then 60% CPU: Hello, lately my laptop has been very loud, also it was hot after 2 minutes since I started it, I checked the task manager and figured out that my conhost.exe is using +60% CPU without anything running. I ran multiple scans but could not figure it out, tried everything that...
  3. Conhost using more then 60% CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Conhost using more then 60% CPU: Hello, lately my laptop has been very loud, also it was hot after 2 minutes since I started it, I checked the task manager and figured out that my conhost.exe is using +60% CPU without anything running. I ran multiple scans but could not figure it out, tried everything that...
  4. CPU Maxing out for no reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU Maxing out for no reason: My cpu is mostly always maxing out for no reason. When ever I close a high usage program, another program began to use up cpu usage and this happens to every program I close. It's as if my cpu is trying to find any way to max out to 100%. It slows down my pc a lot and I got...
  5. CPU running at max frequency

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU running at max frequency: To lead off, nothing on my system is overclocked and the cpu has a min process state of 20%. So I unplugged my PC the other day to clean up around it and have had nothing but issues since getting it back together. Outside of an issue with my wifi adapter that fixed itself, my...
  6. Cpu not at max speed and capped.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cpu not at max speed and capped.: I have a intel i9 11900F and apparently it can go up to like 5GHz but when I bench it its capped at 4.7GHz. How do I also make it so it's always max speed? Sometimes when I'm using it it's only 2.8-3.5GHz...
  7. CPU is maxed out

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU is maxed out: I've been experiencing my CPU being maxed out the past couple of weeks. During this time I have equally been trying to find a resolution. Everything I've done is a temporary fix and the issue comes right back.My processor is: IntelR CoreTM i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz...
  8. Windows 10 only use half of max cpu speed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 only use half of max cpu speed: hello, I have the same identical issue to this Windows 10 only use half of max cpu speed, where the only difference is that i had my battery swapped. the problem never happened. Additionally, safe mode goes to 1.80 ghz flat. things i tried: 1. restart 2. revert all...
  9. Sys Files loading more than once during boot.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sys Files loading more than once during boot.: When Booting up my Windows 10 system, the startup process tries to load dxgkrnl.sys 5 extra times; then it tries to load NDProxy.sys four extra times. Next it tries to load WdFilter.sys two extra times. Needless to say, this extends the boot time. Looking through the boot log...
  10. Windows update more information

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update more information: hey how can i tell what is the size of the update ? like in windows 7 or can i know the approximate time to finish and the downloading speed? thanks 19018