Windows 10: Need More Room on Boot SSD! - What Can I Delete?

Discus and support Need More Room on Boot SSD! - What Can I Delete? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am in a real pickle. I cannot fix a problem in Windows, so am going to reinstall Windows. Or so I thought. I upgraded from Win7 to Win10 and see I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Phil3, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Phil3 Win User

Need More Room on Boot SSD! - What Can I Delete?

I am in a real pickle. I cannot fix a problem in Windows, so am going to reinstall Windows. Or so I thought. I upgraded from Win7 to Win10 and see I need to create media to reinstall Win10. Microsoft has a tool for this. Great. Tried to run it, and it says I need 8 GB of free space. I have 5 GB. I don't what I can delete on this 64GB SSD. There is lot of stuff on it, most of which I have no idea on what it is. I do not want to delete something crucial to Windows operating.

Any tips on what folders and files I can delete would be very helpful. If I can include a screen shot here, I can share what is on the drive. As an aside, the problem that is leading to all this is.

Cannot Open Hyperlinks Outlook 2010 - Windows 10 Forums

Hoping a new Windows install will fix. Need a bigger SSD and Win install anyway...I cannot even do the latest Win10 update as it too wants 8 GB of space.

Thank you.

Phil

:)

Phil3, Nov 17, 2017
  2. L Morgan Win User

Clean installing Windows 10 on new SSD

I have Win 7 on my operating drive but it doesn't have enough space to upgrade Win 10. I have an SSD that I want to use as the system drive now. Do I need to clone the original system drive and then install Win 10 or do I need to install Win 7 on the
    SSD and then WIN 10 and just boot from the SSD ? My motherboard has room for 4 more HDDs and the PC is pretty high performance. I built it so there should be no proprietary concerns I hope. What is the best way to accomplish what I ant to do?

L Morgan, Nov 17, 2017
  3. Switching to Larger C: Drive & Windows 10

I have a 128GB SSD for my C: drive but recently I realized I need more room for a few more programs that can only run off the C: drive. So with decreasing memory with the 128GB drive, I would like to upgrade to a 512GB SSD but am wondering how I would get
    Windows 10 from the old drive to the new one OR can I redownload Windows 10 onto a new drive once it's installed? The old drive I'll just wipe and use as a backup drive or extra storage.

StormyKnight007, Nov 17, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

spunk, Nov 17, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    Try the following.
    • Run Disk Cleanup in user mode and admin mode.
    • Install CCleaner, choose analyse and delete unneeded files. Also review the system restore points and delete old ones.
    • Delete temporary files in all directories like c:\Users\username\AppData and c:\windows\temp
    • Use Tree Size Free to review which files/folders are taking up remaining space and delete those not needed TreeSize Free - Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs
    • Consider using Wise Disk Cleaner but use with care Wise Disk Cleaner - Free Disk Cleanup and Defrag Tool
    • Move large user folders e.g. documents, photos & movies to another drive if you have one

Steve C, Nov 17, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Nov 17, 2017
  7. swarfega Win User
    You can remove the hibernation files as they take up a lot of space. If your PC doesnt take that long to boot up, then you can safely disable hibernation.

Open an elevated command prompt and type powercfg -h off

swarfega, Nov 17, 2017
  8. Need More Room on Boot SSD! - What Can I Delete?

Or get a bigger SSD.
    A 128 GB SSD is marginal these days, and you have only half of that. You'll never regret having more.

margrave55, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need More Room on Boot SSD! - What Can I Delete? - Similar Threads - Need More Room

2. SSD- can i change my boot time more fast

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD- can i change my boot time more fast: Iam using my ssd in the device.It is taking 25 second to boot.Device name DESKTOP-M7LF8H4 Processor IntelR CoreTM i3-4005U CPU @ 1.70GHz 1.70 GHz Installed RAM 4.00 GB System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available...
  3. SSD- can i change my boot time more fast

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD- can i change my boot time more fast: Iam using my ssd in the device.It is taking 25 second to boot.Device name DESKTOP-M7LF8H4 Processor IntelR CoreTM i3-4005U CPU @ 1.70GHz 1.70 GHz Installed RAM 4.00 GB System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available...
  4. SSD- can i change my boot time more fast

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can not boot with ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can not boot with ssd: When i want to install my windows 10 in the boot of my laptop cant find my second hard drive. My second hard is ssd and i want to instal windows in that but it dosent show my ssd it only shows my other driver. What can i do to fix it? When i install it on other drive and i...
  6. Cloned an SSD but it won't boot no more!!

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned an SSD but it won't boot no more!!: Hello, I have a Sony Vaio laptop and it had an 128gb SSD. I decided that was time to have a big SSD. I made a clone from the ssd (can't remember what was software). At the first boots, there was no problem but after a few days it stopped to boot!! I can't not even use the...
  7. PC always boots to BIOS, is my SSD dead or is there more I can try?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC always boots to BIOS, is my SSD dead or is there more I can try?: Hi, I left my Windows 10 Pro PC alone for an hour or two a couple of nights ago. When I came back to it it had frozen. Totally unresponsive but screen still displaying. I can't remember if I just used the power button to switch off, or actually turned it off at the PSU, but...
  8. Need to clear up more disk space, don't know what else i can safely delete?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need to clear up more disk space, don't know what else i can safely delete?: I am trying to do the Windows 10 update and I have uninstalled all that I know is safe to uninstall. HELP!!! I am a student and have an assignment due and am not able to use power point without the update and more space. Thank you, Shelly...
  9. I need to get more space on computer,but when I think I make room, more prrograms keep...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need to get more space on computer,but when I think I make room, more prrograms keep...: help, When I opened this computer up, it was already loaded with programs, and there isn't space to add something I want to use, below it asks for apps etc- its not just one kind...
  10. Need more room

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Need more room: I have a Dell tablet with a 32 Gig hard drive. I was down to 3 Gigs of free space. I removed a lot of software and blocked Windows Update. Was sitting on 1703/1706 (not sure which one). With all my messing around, I finally got up to 10 Gigs free. So I took a chance and went...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what can i clear on the windows ssd