Windows 10: Need Non-Removable Drive to Show as Removable

Discus and support Need Non-Removable Drive to Show as Removable in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows 10 is showing one of my drives as non-removable/fixed. I need it to show as a removable drive. I don't mind making registry changes or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BlackBerriesAnd, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Need Non-Removable Drive to Show as Removable

Windows 10 is showing one of my drives as non-removable/fixed. I need it to show as a removable drive.

I don't mind making registry changes or whatever needs to be done.

I've found information on going the other way (have removable drive show as non-removable/fixed), but nothing on what I want to do.

Thanks,

:)

BlackBerriesAnd, Mar 11, 2018
  2. BenjyTan Win User

USB Drive Appears as "Removable Drive"

Hi. I need some help here.

I am currently using 2 devices at home - an old Dell laptop on Windows XP and a Surface Pro 3 on Windows 10. The thing is my USB thumb drives and external hard disks which I have named them on Windows XP all appears as only "Removable Drive" on Windows 10.

For example, I have a pendrive which I named as Games 8GB. When I plugged it into my SP3, the name appears as "Removable Drive". I can still access my stuff inside the drive though.

I have scanned it and no virus / malware detected. I even use my SP3 to format the thumb drive and trying to rename it, but I could not. Even after countless attempts to rename it, the name is still stuck as removable drive. But when I use my Windows XP
    to do it, I am able to rename those drives.

It's not a big issue, but it irks me that all my drives plugged into my SP3 all appear unnamed. Does anyone have a similar issue and any ideas how I can rectify this problem?

Thanks!

BenjyTan, Mar 11, 2018
  3. USB Drive Appears as "Removable Drive"

Hi Benjy,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

It is unfortunate that you are facing this issue. I will be glad to assist you.

Please try the methods below and check if this helps in resolving the issue with the pen drive. This issue might be because the drivers might not be installed or pen drive might have been corrupted.

Method 1: Run hardware and devices troubleshooter.

• Connect the pen drive to laptop.
    • Press the ‘Windows + Q’ key on the keyboard.
    • Type troubleshooting in the search box and then press
      ENTER.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Click on view all and select Hardware and devices.
    • Click next and follow the on-screen instructions.
    Method 2: Check USB pen is working fine on a different computer. You may check after uninstalling and reinstalling the USB drivers if you are able to connect. You may disconnect all USB devices
    and then perform the following steps

• Press Windows key + X, Click on Device Manager.
    • In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal
      Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
    • Check if there is an exclamation mark next to any of the drivers; it indicates issues with the driver installed.
    • Repeat the step b to uninstall all items under "Universal
      Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

If you still face the same issue then you may check for the updated USB device drivers using windows update.

If the issue sill persists I would request you to check for chipset driver updates which you can get at the manufacturer website.

Hope this helps. If the issue persists, please get back to us. We are here to assist you.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Mar 11, 2018
Thema:

Need Non-Removable Drive to Show as Removable

1. Need Non-Removable Drive to Show as Removable - Similar Threads - Need Non Removable

2. How To Remove Non-Existent "Removable Drive" in Win10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How To Remove Non-Existent "Removable Drive" in Win10 File Explorer: How can I remove a non-existent "Removable Drive" in Win10 File Explorer which was left after an unsuccessful formatting operation on a failing USB flash drive?The drive does not show up in Win10 Disk Management nor in any other 3rd-party Disk Partition Management...
  3. How To Remove Non-Existent "Removable Drive" in Win10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How To Remove Non-Existent "Removable Drive" in Win10 File Explorer: How can I remove a non-existent "Removable Drive" in Win10 File Explorer which was left after an unsuccessful formatting operation on a failing USB flash drive?The drive does not show up in Win10 Disk Management nor in any other 3rd-party Disk Partition Management...
  4. How To Remove Non-Existent "Removable Drive" in Win10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. non removable languages

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    non removable languages: as you can see in the pictures above i only have english us installed yet there is 3 more languages installed. this is a fresh copy of windows 11 installed on a fresh nvme ssd and i got no clue why this keeps happening, i tried those commands to delete all languages except...
  6. non removable folder on my D Drive non-system drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    non removable folder on my D Drive non-system drive: Hi Microsoft, I want to express my extreme frustration on your Xbox app creating several freaking non-removable folder on my backup drive D: as follow:- - Programfiles - WindowsApps - WpSystem I suspect those folder were there because I have located the xbox gamepass...
  7. USB Drive switched to non-removable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB Drive switched to non-removable: I was messing with a bunch of USB multiboot tools (sardu, xboot, easy2boot etc) and managed to change my Corsair Voyager GTX flash drive into an internal drive. I tried using BootIt, didn't work. Other drives show up fine. Any tools I could use to fix this? It breaks some...
  8. Printer shows as removable drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer shows as removable drive: I have an Epsom A810 printer, connected to desktop PC by USB. The printer has a USB port for loading pictures to the printer from a thumb drive. Thing is, this port makes the printer show up in Disk Management and My PC as a removable drive. But it is not a drive at...
  9. Some drives showing as removable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Some drives showing as removable: Yesterday I went from Windows 7 to windows 10 with a clean install. My system based on an ASUS P9x79Pro motherboard has 4 internal disk drives. The first two, a 500GB SSD for the system and a 2TB spinning disk, are connected to Intel SATA 6G ports and are fine. I...
  10. Do I need to remove other non OS drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do I need to remove other non OS drive?: Hi, I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading my desktop this week while I'm on vacation. I've done my laptop with no problems at all, it's a Dell Latitude E6400 with Win7 Pro bought refurbished from Newegg. The laptop was a mid 2008 model and W10 works great on it. My question is...