Windows 10: Need permission to delete a file on my laptop?

Discus and support Need permission to delete a file on my laptop? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I’m trying to free up some space on my one drive and I want to delete this McAfee file and it’s saying I need permission? This is my laptop I don’t get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by alexis Saint-Pierre, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Need permission to delete a file on my laptop?

I’m trying to free up some space on my one drive and I want to delete this McAfee file and it’s saying I need permission? This is my laptop I don’t get it

:)

alexis Saint-Pierre, Sep 22, 2022
  2. Scoka Win User

File permissions to delete file

I am trying this, but it's taking a very long time.

Scoka, Sep 22, 2022
  3. Hydrate Win User
    File permissions to delete file

Windows is extremely confusing in its permissions and file ownership.*Sad

If Taking Ownership of the files does not work, then the ACL and permissions are misconfigured.

Permissions precedes the ownership, you can have ownership but incorrect permissions in accordance with the ACL Access Control Lists (Windows).

Microsoft - How Permissions Work

I suggest that you open powershell (Search > type powershell > Right click > run as admin) and execute this command:

Code:
    This command restores permissions to default for all files contained within C:\ quietly.

Followed by this command once completed:

Code:
    This command restores full permissions to the Administrators on the computer, which I presume you are an Administrator.

And reboot the computer, and finally attempt to delete the file after attempting to retake ownership.

If that does not work, then I suggest using a third party utility known as UnlockIT:
    Downloads - UnLock IT

And download, install. Ensure you select customized installation.

Right click the folder that contains the files or the files individually that you would like to delete, and follow as here:

Need permission to delete a file on my laptop? wrqPMO6.png

Then this should delete all files you right clicked upon after restarting the system.

You should not run into issues regarding permissions after this, and if you do, post again and I'll look into it.

Side note: often times malware tends to hijack a system and fluff itself in permissions that benefit itself.

Hydrate, Sep 22, 2022
  4. 95Viper Win User

Need permission to delete a file on my laptop?

95Viper, Sep 22, 2022
Thema:

Need permission to delete a file on my laptop?

1. Need permission to delete a file on my laptop? - Similar Threads - Need permission delete

2. I need help with deleting a file, asking for permission

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need help with deleting a file, asking for permission: Hi,i wanted to delete a file but I couldn't because it said that some other program is using it. I have checked and couldn't find any program using it. i have opened properties window and did something there, actually a couple of things which I'm not very clear of, basically...
  3. Need permission to delete a file on my laptop?

Need permission to delete a file on my laptop?: I’m trying to free up some space on my one drive and I want to delete this McAfee file and it’s saying I need permission? This is my laptop I don’t get it...
  4. Files with no permission to delete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files with no permission to delete: So, I installed the Hitman Trilogy from XBox Game Pass and the install broke, showing an error 0x00000000. I've tracked it down to find that it's still partially installed in my D: drive in WindowsApps with one of the subsections of the game causing the error code 0x80073d12...
  5. Files with no permission to delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files with no permission to delete: So, I installed the Hitman Trilogy from XBox Game Pass and the install broke, showing an error 0x00000000. I've tracked it down to find that it's still partially installed in my D: drive in WindowsApps with one of the subsections of the game causing the error code 0x80073d12...
  6. Files with no permission to delete

7. Need to delete files but need administrator permissions.

Need to delete files but need administrator permissions.: I dont know why these administrator permissions exist but anyway, I tried to delete some files in a program and it wouldnt let me because I need permissions from the administrator, someone please help!...
  8. How To Delete A File That Says That It Needs Permission

How To Delete A File That Says That It Needs Permission: [ATTACH] It wont allow me to delete this file. Its taking up 140 gb of space on my SSD and I need help deleting it.. And yes I looked on YouTube and nothing worked....
  9. Administrator permission needed to delete file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Administrator permission needed to delete file: I am the administrator I am trying to delete a file, and it says I need administrator permission to delete the file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/administrator-permission-needed-to-delete-file/eefb5972-37ec-455e-9ed5-ee37c18ce6ba
  10. Needs Permission as Adm to delete and rename file

Needs Permission as Adm to delete and rename file: Trying delete file/rename it,but saying needs permission from Adm,in which I am. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/needs-permission-as-adm-to-delete-and-rename-file/81f1254e-06ef-4ef7-b6e2-a05586871aec