Windows 10: Need permission to move and delete, even though I own the files.

Discus and support Need permission to move and delete, even though I own the files. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Whenever I try to delete or move items in the Documents, Pictures, and Videos folders in the "This PC" tab, it tells me that I need to provide... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by luk3loo, Feb 27, 2021.

1. luk3loo Win User

Need permission to move and delete, even though I own the files.

Whenever I try to delete or move items in the Documents, Pictures, and Videos folders in the "This PC" tab, it tells me that I need to provide administrator permission to delete/move it. When I press "Continue", it tells me that I need permission from myself. I'm DESKTOP-VPR0C0A\choco

Need permission to move and delete, even though I own the files. 6be12cd6-5e07-4a3b-85cf-15d225f8e1cc?upload=true.png

:)

luk3loo, Feb 27, 2021
  2. Scoka Win User

File permissions to delete file

I am trying this, but it's taking a very long time.

Scoka, Feb 27, 2021
  3. Hydrate Win User
    File permissions to delete file

Windows is extremely confusing in its permissions and file ownership.*Sad

If Taking Ownership of the files does not work, then the ACL and permissions are misconfigured.

Permissions precedes the ownership, you can have ownership but incorrect permissions in accordance with the ACL Access Control Lists (Windows).

Microsoft - How Permissions Work

I suggest that you open powershell (Search > type powershell > Right click > run as admin) and execute this command:

Code:
    This command restores permissions to default for all files contained within C:\ quietly.

Followed by this command once completed:

Code:
    This command restores full permissions to the Administrators on the computer, which I presume you are an Administrator.

And reboot the computer, and finally attempt to delete the file after attempting to retake ownership.

If that does not work, then I suggest using a third party utility known as UnlockIT:
    Downloads - UnLock IT

And download, install. Ensure you select customized installation.

Right click the folder that contains the files or the files individually that you would like to delete, and follow as here:

Need permission to move and delete, even though I own the files. wrqPMO6.png

Then this should delete all files you right clicked upon after restarting the system.

You should not run into issues regarding permissions after this, and if you do, post again and I'll look into it.

Side note: often times malware tends to hijack a system and fluff itself in permissions that benefit itself.

Hydrate, Feb 27, 2021
  4. 95Viper Win User

95Viper, Feb 27, 2021
Thema:

1. Need permission to move and delete, even though I own the files. - Similar Threads - Need permission move

2. I don't have my own permission to delete files....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I don't have my own permission to delete files....: please help , thankshttps://i.imgur.com/zU7rqbe.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/G9lSyH4.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/q5dLTGo.png***moved from zh-hant*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-have-my-own-permission-to-delete-files/8de331a7-c4c0-4b75-932f-b6a3355daf68
  3. Still struggling with the "Need Administrator Permission" to delete files on my own computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Still struggling with the "Need Administrator Permission" to delete files on my own computer: I have tried to delete files from my computer that I put there. I get a box saying I need administrator permission, but this is my own personal computer. I have found others that have had the same problem, but the steps don't make sense with the windows program that I have...
  4. Permissions to move/delete files

Permissions to move/delete files: I am logged in as administrator on my computer, but when I need to move or delete folders/files it says I need administrator permission and does nothing. Also two other messages when I try to do something with a file/folder: 1 the item is no longer located in C: 2 the item is...
  5. Can't delete or save files in the documents, photos and videos folders even though I own them

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't delete or save files in the documents, photos and videos folders even though I own them: Every other folder works fine but those three folders and one or two others are stuck on hidden and I or any of my games are unable to edit or save files within them. Even though I own the folders. Any help would be appreciated. submitted by /u/SlashedFall51 [link]...
  6. I don't have permission to move files even though im the admin

I don't have permission to move files even though im the admin: It started happening around when I changed my computer account from local to microsoft account. I tried making me the owner of the folder which seems to work for other people but it did not work for me, and it actually seems like the more I try to solve the issue the less...
  7. Can't delete files even though I am the administrator, and can't change file permissions

Can't delete files even though I am the administrator, and can't change file permissions: So I've got this weird problem where I try to delete these files and it says I can't delete them without admin privileges. My account is the administrator. So I went to Properties, Security, Advanced to try to change the permissions, but it won't let me change permissions. It...
  8. I can't delete/move a files and/or .exe files even though I am an admin

I can't delete/move a files and/or .exe files even though I am an admin: I like to download/install files and .exe files to mod games. I'm safe with what and where I download files and from whom I download them. However, *for some files*, whenever I want to delete or move a file, I get a message saying I don't have permission and I need admin...
  9. Can't delete a file even though I own it

Can't delete a file even though I own it: I recently installed some kind of virus onto my computer that runs these programs that make my laptop overheat very quickly and sometimes play random music. I figured out the location of these programs, located in two folders in Local Disk C: and have tried to delete them....
  10. why do i need permission to move a file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    why do i need permission to move a file: why do i need permission to move a file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-i-need-permission-to-move-a-file/432fb39d-ba58-4651-a82e-538975271b47"