Windows 10: need SMB1 protocol and drivers for obsolete NAS

Discus and support need SMB1 protocol and drivers for obsolete NAS in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an old Western Digital World Book Network Attached Storage that uses SMB1 protocol. I have new Windows 10 Home computer that is post SMB1. Is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ClarkMorris, Oct 10, 2019.

1. need SMB1 protocol and drivers for obsolete NAS

I have an old Western Digital World Book Network Attached Storage that uses SMB1 protocol. I have new Windows 10 Home computer that is post SMB1. Is there a simple way for me to add the SMB1 drivers so I can use my NAS. The Knowledge Base articles seem confusing and convoluted.

:)

ClarkMorris, Oct 10, 2019
  2. Potzki Win User

SMB1 Error

Hello all,

I have a NAS that I have been using for years. All of a sudden I get the following error when I try to connect to it;

You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attach.

Your system requires SMB2 or higher.

This NAS helds backups of all my files and is quite important. Is there a way of fixing this error?

Thanks,

Potzki, Oct 10, 2019
  3. Jože_K Win User
    Which protocol for accessing NAS in local network - Win10 HOME

Hello,

i have after each WIN update problems with accessing my NAS - configured SMB

it seems Microsoft is trying to disable SMB1 feature

we have 4 PCs & NB's with MS WIN 10 HOME, with MS Office, etc... and is anoying each time looking for solution to make it work again

so which protocol should i configure my NAS to be able to work with Windows future proof?

Also it should work with KODI app

I read about NFS, but Win HOME version does not support it

My Asustor AS 302T have this:

Network Protocols
    • CIFS / SMB, SMB 2.0 / 3.0, AFP, NFS, FTP (Unicode Supported), TFTP, WebDAV, Rsync, SSH, SFTP, iSCSI/IP-SAN, HTTP, HTTPS, Proxy, SNMP, Syslog

ASUSTOR - Datasheet

PS: thanks in advance from Slovenia

Jože_K, Oct 10, 2019
  4. jimbo45 Win User

need SMB1 protocol and drivers for obsolete NAS

Samba v 4.8.x and connectivity (SMB1 / NAS etc)

Hi folks
    I know people use NAS systems on this board which often use Linux type distros. Same goes for VM's.

Samba 4.8.x now throws error if you specify min protocol = SMB1 in your SMB.CONF file which will hose you up if you need connectivity to NAS via Windows / Smart TV's etc. especially on older gear which only works with SMB1.

Don't panic

Change SMB1 to NT1 in the samba.conf file on the NAS server.

for example : in the [global] section found generally in \etc\samba directory.

[global]
    max protocol = NT1
    ; max protocol = SMB3
    # can set it to SMB2 if you want experimental SMB2 support.
    #
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = Samba Server Version %v

; max protocol = SMB2
    netbios name = hestur

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    security = user
    passdb backend = tdbsam

.....etc

then it all works again fine -- example -- on the NAS box - sees the Windows machine OK.

need SMB1 protocol and drivers for obsolete NAS [​IMG]

Windows access also no problem either.

If running samba v 4.7.x then no probs - no change.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 10, 2019
Thema:

need SMB1 protocol and drivers for obsolete NAS

1. need SMB1 protocol and drivers for obsolete NAS - Similar Threads - need SMB1 protocol

2. smb1 disabled?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    smb1 disabled?: My NAS uses SMB1. The last time I restarted, Windows no longer allows connections to my NAS because they have decided that SMB1 is not safe enough for use in my local network. Is there a way around this?...
  3. The Mapped Network Drive could not be Created because:..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Mapped Network Drive could not be Created because:..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2?: :..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2? What do I need to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-mapped-network-drive-could-not-be-created/a73634ee-8c44-4111-857c-b06038aadf17
  4. The Mapped Network Drive could not be Created because:..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Mapped Network Drive could not be Created because:..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2?: :..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2? What do I need to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-mapped-network-drive-could-not-be-created/a73634ee-8c44-4111-857c-b06038aadf17
  5. Windows 10 update Obsoletes Drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 update Obsoletes Drivers: The Device Manager > "Ports Com & LPT "driver for my GPS was deleted by a Windows update and replaced by Windows, to a newer version. The old version worked with my GPS but the newer version does not. When I tried to reinstall the older version that worked I get an error...
  6. Windows 10 update Obsoletes Drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 update Obsoletes Drivers: The Device Manager > "Ports Com & LPT "driver for my GPS was deleted by a Windows update and replaced by Windows, to a newer version. The old version worked with my GPS but the newer version does not. When I tried to reinstall the older version that worked I get an error...
  7. Windows 10 update Obsoletes Drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Samba v 4.8.x and connectivity (SMB1 / NAS etc)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Samba v 4.8.x and connectivity (SMB1 / NAS etc): Hi folks I know people use NAS systems on this board which often use Linux type distros. Same goes for VM's. Samba 4.8.x now throws error if you specify min protocol = SMB1 in your SMB.CONF file which will hose you up if you need connectivity to NAS via Windows / Smart TV's...
  9. NAS / Linux users and Spring update edition SMB1 settings changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NAS / Linux users and Spring update edition SMB1 settings changed: Ah got it. NAS connects with SMB3.
  10. Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows How to Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows The Server Message Block (SMB) Protocol is a network file sharing protocol, and as implemented in Microsoft Windows is known as Microsoft SMB...