Windows 10: Need some advice on a New SSD Installation...

Discus and support Need some advice on a New SSD Installation... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I just installed a new SSD (Samsung 970 EVO+ NVMe M.2 1TB). The install went well, but I left some files behind on the old drive (An OCZ Trion 120gb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Grayswandire, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Need some advice on a New SSD Installation...

I just installed a new SSD (Samsung 970 EVO+ NVMe M.2 1TB). The install went well, but I left some files behind on the old drive (An OCZ Trion 120gb SSD). Anyway, I though there would be a problem if I plugged the old drive back in and booted up into windows without hitting up the Bios first (I figured I would have an option of which drive to boot from since both contain the OS). Unfortunately the new drive is so fast that I guess I missed the window to get into the Bios.

My computer booted up to the newly installed drive (Samsung M.2) and the old drive was also recognized and usable, even though it had a copy of windows 10 on it. Should I worry about it causing any conflicts? I basically wanted to get some files/programs off of this old drive, then I planned on reformatting it and using it as extra storage under the new drive.

Thanks.

submitted by /u/Grayswandire
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Grayswandire, Nov 5, 2019
  2. davnav Win User

new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed

Ive just bought a brand new lenovo pc which has windows 10 home 64bit and has a 1tb hard drive fitted, im looking for advice on the following.

Ive fitted the ssd into the pc but its not shown up so need step by step guide on how to make it active ?

Next I need help on how to clone the 1tb hdd to the
    Ssd drive, step by step and best software to use and have the ssd as the main drive then use the the 1hdd for storage.I just dont want to break my new system
    Thanks for your time.

davnav, Nov 5, 2019
  3. Norton Win User
    New SSD install advice/opinions

My OS install was done last weekend and have been pulling in all of the updates over the past week so I should have ready and "clean"... been dumping/cleaning of all of the install garabage, restore points, etc

Corsair's website didn't have too much support info or I couldn't find it regarding firmware updates and tweaks. Basically the FAQ section suggested to make one change in the BIOS and nothing else had to be done *Confused Need some advice on a New SSD Installation... :confused:

I'll check on those post install tweaks you mentioned and Thanks *Toast :toast:

Norton, Nov 5, 2019
  4. Josh_922 Win User

Need some advice on a New SSD Installation...

Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, Nov 5, 2019
Thema:

Need some advice on a New SSD Installation...

1. Need some advice on a New SSD Installation... - Similar Threads - Need advice SSD

2. I need some serious advice for a new pc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need some serious advice for a new pc: Ok so I just got my new MSI laptop today (10th gen Intel i7 CPU, Nivdia GeForce RTX 2060 GPU, 512GB SSD, 16GB Ram) and I'm having weird problems with it. The first strange thing, was that the system completely locked up while I was browsing the web, and I had to hard restart...
  3. New SSD win10 install, advice please?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New SSD win10 install, advice please?: OK, so Windows updates are just slowing my machine down and I'm thinking of getting an SSD and swapping it over. Problem is my laptop only has one drive slot so I can't clone it the way I've been told and I have not been able to find my product key as It wasn't stuck to the...
  4. I need some advice?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I need some advice?: Well, I have been programming a bot for GTA Online for a while now. This allows you to stay online, create single lobbies and mute the GTA window. My question: Can I get in trouble for that, because I basically exploit security holes. Be a bit scared after what happened to...
  5. Hi all...im new to this forum and in need of some advice.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hi all...im new to this forum and in need of some advice.: Can’t get my Sata 6gb ports to work on asus rampage 3 formula. Ssd 860 evo 1tb is only found on the 3gb ports and running at half speed. All is set to AHCI mode in bios and running w10 pro. The marvel 91xx controllers are up, so don’t understand why the ssd is not found on...
  6. Going to W10, need some advice.

in Windows 10 Support
    Going to W10, need some advice.: Going to W10, need some advice. Hi, Currently running W7 Pro32 bit MSI I5 laptop & use it mainly for managing our Retirement funds, Healthcare along with research, learning about what's going on in the world today. I'm a retired busn Mgr & have been using PC's since the...
  7. new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed: Ive just bought a brand new lenovo pc which has windows 10 home 64bit and has a 1tb hard drive fitted, im looking for advice on the following. Ive fitted the ssd into the pc but its not shown up so need step by step guide on how to make it active ? Next I need help on...
  8. Need Some Graphic Card advice

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Need Some Graphic Card advice: My pc's cards fan after 4 years just started making a whinning noise I don't know if I could take it out and grease the fan or not but I would rather just get a new card......Say $100 or less....And I'm not a gamer. My pc is a 2013 HP P-6 2400T / Intel 3.1 CPU / 12 gb's...
  9. Need some advice on an mSATA SSD swap

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need some advice on an mSATA SSD swap: Ladies & Gents: I'm getting ready to decommission a desktop to give to my sister's family. Right now, it's got a Samsung EVO 850 500 GB mSATA installed as the boot/system drive. I want to swap that unit out for a spare Samsung EVO 850 250 GB mSATA, so I can put the 500 GB...
  10. Migrating from HDD to SSD, many partitions, need some advice

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating from HDD to SSD, many partitions, need some advice: I have an HP laptop with the following partitions: [img] The HDD has 750GB capacity. The first 4 partitions are for win 10. I am guessing that the first recovery partition became too small at some point of system update/upgrade and win 10 created a second one that is...