Windows 10: Need Some Big Help

Discus and support Need Some Big Help in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey folks, First of all I want to say that this place is absolutely amazing, the resources you've got are stellar. It stinks that I didn't find this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Meade, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Meade Win User

Need Some Big Help

Hey folks,

First of all I want to say that this place is absolutely amazing, the resources you've got are stellar. It stinks that I didn't find this website sooner as it might've meant that I wouldn't have screwed up as much as I ended up doing.

I'll try to be brief and I also didn't know where it would be most proper to post this as it's my first time making an entry, so I'm hoping this is the correct page for this subject.

Basically, I was trying to get the game X-Com: Enemy Within to run on my PC, as it crashed instantly the moment the launcher for said game popped up. I did everything I could think of and I do mean everything, to the point where I had exhausted any and all things which usually fixes issues with any other game.

I then saw a pinned post in the game Community Hub on Steam which addresses issues with Windows 10 and tips of how to solve these problems. I had done everything on that list, except for one thing - the moderator claimed that removing "read-only" from the Users folder would also be a fix.

And I quote:
    "Check that Windows hasn't mysteriously made parts of your user folder read-only, for mysterious and unexplained reasons."

As I had done everything else, I went on a crusade to try this and no matter how much I tried "read-only" stuck around. I read that taking ownership of the Users folder would do it, which of course it didn't, and soon after I read that to remove the "read-only" mode you had to take ownership of the entire drive.

Nowhere did it say NOT to do this, I found nothing stating this could be harmful to the PC in any way in the places where I was getting this information, but instead saw a lot of people saying "it worked" and that they could permanently un-tick the "read-only" box after taking ownership of their drive.

It wasn't until after I began the switch from "TrustedInstaller" on my C: drive to my admin account that I got the feeling this wasn't right, of course, trying to stop the process made a huge warning message pop up saying not to stop said process which only made my suspicion that much greater.

And wouldn't you know, it also still didn't work.

TL;DR: I'm an idiot.

Anyhow, that's the short story, believe it or not. Though thanks to this place and the tips of doing an In-place Upgrade and how to reset the OS I managed to salvage it enough that my computer didn't go full BSOD on me.

However, I am having issues with my PC and I do not know how to fix them or even if it's possible, my Windows version number is - 20H2 (OS Build 19042.804).

1. Things like the calculator doesn't work, they don't boot at all. I've tried to re-enable it through the guide you guys have on here but it hasn't worked.

2. If I'm saving images from Telegram for example, I cannot open them in the default image viewer that comes with Windows 10 or with Windows Photo Viewer after re-enabling it. I get an error saying that I lack the permission on one and on the other it says I "lack memory" or some such. So, I've had to copy the images, paste them in Paint, then save them.

3. Been having a few graphical glitches in games that weren't there before, I've uninstalled mods, rolled back to different versions of the games but nothing has helped. For example, when the hourglass icon in one game spins around, the icon becomes black and white and looks like the static you used to get on TV's back in the day when a channel wasn't set or wasn't working.

4. My C: drive is still set to me as the owner, is it safe to change this or not? As far as I understand it you cannot change back to "TrustedInstaller" and I figured that the OS reset would do it but this hasn't happened. All the folders, the Users and so on, have. What should I do here?

These are the issues I've noticed thus far and I was wondering if anyone here has ideas of what might be causing them?

I'm going to try to install an older graphics driver than the one I have now, the newest one made my sound crackle and blinking white dots appeared now and then so I rolled back half a year, going to roll it back a month at a time to see if that does anything for the third issue.

I would like to also end by saying thanks to everyone contributing to this place, to the ones who write the guides... you really saved my bacon and my computer still runs thanks to you. Hopefully these other issues can get resolved as well.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help you can provide.

:)

Meade, Feb 19, 2021

2. help to remote connect

not sure how to use both programs u 2 suggested, i need more helpful steps thanks

Corduroy_Jr, Feb 19, 2021
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Feb 19, 2021
  4. Need Some Big Help

EVGA GTX 670 FTW Signature 2 2048 MB

Well that helps, but what will EVGA actually have listed 75-90 day from your date of purchase that is a true step-up? *Big Grin Need Some Big Help :D

Casecutter, Feb 19, 2021
Thema:

Need Some Big Help

1. Need Some Big Help - Similar Threads - Need Big Help

2. i need help big time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i need help big time: Currently unable to do anything with my windows, it's fully locked up but I can still get into my programs and play games.I have already tried literally everything availablehere are some things I'm experience:occasionally a stack buffer overflow warning in settingscan't...
  3. i need help big time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i need help big time: Currently unable to do anything with my windows, it's fully locked up but I can still get into my programs and play games.I have already tried literally everything availablehere are some things I'm experience:occasionally a stack buffer overflow warning in settingscan't...
  4. i need help big time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Need some help...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need some help...: So I tried resetting a laptop that used to be my brother's. After it was all done it brought me to the login screen with the same User Account. I tried using the password associated with it and it gave me an error saying "the user profile service failed the sign-in." I found...
  6. Need some helpful help

Need some helpful help: So I was trying to download an editing software, on my Window 10, but I couldn't install it because I was missing opencl.dll, but I found the opencl.dll in File Explorer, so i dragged it in the System32 file. But now i faced with a new problem. My new problem is "the...
  7. need some help

need some help: i have downloaded windows 10 for my mac (my mac is compatible as i have already checked) and i have got some folders that say (in order) - autorun.inf , boot , bootmgr , bootmgr.efi , efi , setpup.exe , sources , support . how do i launch windows 10? submitted by...
  8. Need some help :

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need some help :: Hi! I recently update my windows 10 and got this issue: Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182. I followed this question first:...
  9. NEED HELP PLEASE!!! Everything is to big

in Windows 10 Customization
    NEED HELP PLEASE!!! Everything is to big: EVERYTHING ON MY COMPUTER IS TO BIG AND I CANT SEE ALL THE APPS ON MY COMPUTER HOW DO I CHANGE THE FONT SIZE https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-please-everything-is-to-big/9bb1bbaf-96d4-42d5-bd11-6913f3ba8216
  10. I need some big help

I need some big help: So i got a MacBook Pro. And i need to remove mac OS from it inside of Windows 10. I used bootcamp to install it. But Mac is using too much space and i rather windows 10. Over OSX submitted by /u/RetroBitTechnology [link] [comments]...