Windows 10: Need some clarification about WSUS server

Discus and support Need some clarification about WSUS server in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After reading lots of articles I need still clarification about some basic facts: At first: There is a "normal" built-in Windows Updates service... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pstein, Nov 20, 2019.

1. pstein Win User

Need some clarification about WSUS server

After reading lots of articles I need still clarification about some basic facts:

At first: There is a "normal" built-in Windows Updates service available in ALL Win10 versions.

Beside this "basic" update mechanism there is a so called "WSUS" service.
    This is a separate (software) server which handles all Windows Updates for all Windows computers of a company. These depending Windows computers retrieve their Updates not by the built-in Windows Update service but from the inhouse WSUS server.

A WSUS is running on a separate Windows computer which MUST have a Server or Enterprise Edition.

A WSUS Server can NOT be installed (afterwards) on a Windows Pro or Windows Home Computer

Correct so far?

Can depending Win (Pro/Home) computers in LAN decide on demand whether they retrieve Updates from WSUS server OR by themselve? or is it an always-WSUS-server-or-never?

Does the WSUS server architecture described above apply to Windows 7 networks as well?

Do Windows 7 Pro/Home computers work with WSUS servers on Win10 servers as well?

Thank you for confirmation and comments
    Peter

:)

pstein, Nov 20, 2019
  2. mfaklis Win User

Windows 10 Pro x64 machines listed as "Vista" on my WSUS Server

I'm running WSUS 3.0 on a Windows Server 2012 R2. It doesn't seem to recognize a Windows 10 machine because my Windows 10 Pro x64 machines are listed as "Vista" on my WSUS Server.

No WSUS update has been issued to bring WSUS up-to-date.

mfaklis, Nov 20, 2019
  3. WSUS client getting update from Microsoft instead of WSUS server

Hi Team,

I configured WSUS server in my lab and many client machine connected to WSUS server. But client getting update from Microsoft instead of WSUS server.

I configured local gpo policy for each wsus client machine in which I provided wsus address/url. Please let me know the root cause of this problem.

For Example-

1100 SLS Making request with URL HTTPS://sls.update.microsoft.com/SLS/{3DA21691-E39D-4DA6-8A4B-B43877BCB1B7}/x64/10.0.16299.0/0?CH=799&L=en-US&P=&PT=0x30&WUA=10.0.16299.98&MK=ASUS&MD=All+Series

I copied this url from windowsupdate.log file.

Neelesh Kumar Raidas, Nov 20, 2019
  4. qubit Win User

The WSUS support thread

This thread is for all things WSUS (Windows Server Update Services). Discussion, installation questions, problems all go here.

What is WSUS? It's basically a big file cache for all your Windows/Microsoft updates, so all your updates are only ever downloaded over the internet once. Instead of getting your updates directly from Microsoft whenever you reinstall your operating system, you point Windows to your local WSUS server instead. This makes downloading the multi-gigabytes of updates way faster using your internal network and also saves your internet bandwidth, which is often metered and limited.

Note that it requires Windows Server to run. I recommend running the latest Server 2008 R2 for performance, stability and security, if you can. This is a 64-bit only OS. And yes, the server can update from it's own WSUS server too. *Cool Need some clarification about WSUS server :cool:

I've got links to a few resources below and I'll be adding more goodness to this post and the next one, as people make useful contributions to this thread.

Some WSUS resources to get you started:

The manual: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939796(WS.10).aspx

WSUS home: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/default.aspx

WSUS forum: Technet forums - WSUS

WSUS wiki: www.wsuswiki.com

POINTING WINDOWS TO THE WSUS SERVER

Note that this procedure is all you have to do on Vista and 7. XP requires a little extra and the whole update process isn't as transparent or efficient.

- Click the Orb at the bottom left of the desktop aka 'Start' button
    - In the search field enter GPEDIT.MSC
    - In the Local Group Policy Editor (LGPE) console that appears, navigate to: Computer configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
    - Double click the Specify Intranet Microsoft update service location Group Policy setting. Note that Not Configured is showing in the State column

Need some clarification about WSUS server WSUSsetup01.png

- The dialog box opens. Note that the Not Configured radio button is selected

Need some clarification about WSUS server WSUSsetup02.png

- Enter the server details, by clicking the Enabled radio button and entering the same details in both Options fields. The server's name is the standard Windows name. My server is called afterburner *Smile Need some clarification about WSUS server :)

Need some clarification about WSUS server WSUSsetup03.png

- Click OK. The main LGPE window now looks like below. Note that Enabled is now showing in the State column.

Need some clarification about WSUS server WSUSsetup04.png

- Close the LGPE window

- Open the Windows Update window. It should now show You receive updates: Managed by your system administrator

Need some clarification about WSUS server WSUSsetup05.png

Now, whenever you check for updates, Windows will access your WSUS server instead of looking over the internet to Microsoft's servers.
    If you want to change it back at an time, simply change the Group Policy setting back to Not Configured.

qubit, Nov 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Need some clarification about WSUS server - Similar Threads - Need clarification WSUS

2. WSUS Server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSUS Server: Hi, I have a WSUS server Windows server 2012 r2.Some of the client windows 10 machines are showing not yet reported status.What is the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wsus-server/283df429-9d8c-4efb-8405-d2e1a83a1c1e
  3. WSUS Server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WSUS Server: Hi, I have a WSUS server Windows server 2012 r2.Some of the client windows 10 machines are showing not yet reported status.What is the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wsus-server/283df429-9d8c-4efb-8405-d2e1a83a1c1e
  4. WSUS server issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    WSUS server issue: In WSUS, we assigned a server to a specific group, and we can see it is in that group; however when I approved the updates to this group, all the other servers can detect the update except this server. But when I log in to the server, it could detect the update which has been...
  5. Brave: Need some clarification on Remote Debugging option.

in Browsers and Email
    Brave: Need some clarification on Remote Debugging option.: Just noted today on Brave Privacy & Security, the option Remote Debugging that is on by default. It must be an option that came with the latest version, I maybe wrong but I never notice it before. I did disable it as I'm not quite sure what having it On entails vis a vis to...
  6. Clarification about Windows.old

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clarification about Windows.old: Hello, I replaced the HDD on my dad's laptop to an SSD with a fresh install of Windows 10 yesterday. After inserting the SSD, I saw that the windows.old folder had pretty much all of the important files backed up from my dad's old hard drive. I have heard that windows.old...
  7. I need some clarification about digital licenses and reactivation.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need some clarification about digital licenses and reactivation.: I'm looking to wipe my Win10 installation but would like to have the option to reinstall it in the future if necessary. I've checked this sub-Reddit and Google to try to find detailed info about the Win10 digital licenses but aside from the very general responses of "Yes. It...
  8. WSUS Backup Server

WSUS Backup Server: Hi Guys, One of my customer wants Secondary Server for WSUS Server Similar to Secondary ( Backup ) Active Directory in case of Failure. Consider a scenario : There are two WSUS Server on same network One is active and other is Redundant(Cold Spare or Backup). Widows...
  9. Need some clarification about WSUS server

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Need some clarification about WSUS server: After reading lots of articles I need still clarification about some basic facts: At first: There is a "normal" built-in Windows Updates service available in ALL Win10 versions. Beside this "basic" update mechanism there is a so called "WSUS" service. This is a separate...
  10. Wsus server consulting

Wsus server consulting: Hello, IT Microsoft expert I have some issue with a new Wsus standalone deployment, below info: Infraestructure: Windows Server 2016 patch last update. WSUS suceed latest Sync Database is completly cleanup Destination computers info Windows 7 Windows 10 LTSB...