Windows 10: need some clarity.

Discus and support need some clarity. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm interested in downloading WinRar or Universal Extract, but get that "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC"?, which is making me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by IronWarrior, May 29, 2017.

1. need some clarity.

I'm interested in downloading WinRar or Universal Extract, but get that "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC"?, which is making me hesitate! Exactly WHAT changes to my computer will this download make??

Not a real tech-savvy guy so any guidance is appreciated! Thanx!!

:)

IronWarrior, May 29, 2017

2. installing direct3d

How can direct3d be installed? Some apps need this but I don't have.

***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***

Abhishek_Kumar_952, May 29, 2017
  3. Can not connect C7 to nokia PC suite

We need some clarity here.

PC Suite should not be able to connect to a C7-00, or if it does it will not sync with Outlook.
    Ovi Suite will.

Nick_Russell, May 29, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

need some clarity.

I guess you're referring to the UAC prompt when you try to install the program.

Usually a program installer needs to make changes to the registry- to record where it's installed, where its working space is, when it was installed- all manner of possible information. To write to the registry requires appropriate privileges, and that's what triggers the prompt.

UAC is, as is explained in the thread you quote above, a protection mechanism that has been in Windows for some years. It gives you a chance to approve - or reject- this program running- so if something harmful and unexpected ran, you could stop it. It's a protection mechanism.

Whenever you install a program some changes will be made. Folders will be created perhaps in several places, and files written to disk. The program's installer adds information to the registry which is read and updated in some cases when it runs.

This is a normal and necessary part of day-to-day Windows operation.

It's possible to turn UAC off or reduce the level of protection, but turning it off completely can prevent some universal apps running.

Note: 'portable' programs will not give rise to such a prompt.

They do not write information to the registry as they are not installed. However this will mean they don't 'remember' information from when run previously in the same way as installed programs. Because they are not installed and don't need the same privileges, they don't give rise to a UAC prompt.
    E.g.
    7-Zip Portable | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives
    - Such programs can be put on a flash drive, carried around, plugged into any compatible PC, and run.

dalchina, May 30, 2017
Thema:

need some clarity.

1. need some clarity. - Similar Threads - need clarity

2. Having major issues with windows, need help resetting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having major issues with windows, need help resetting: Hi, my pc is currently stuck crashing constantly & freezing up on the desktop homescreen when it does even get there. Whenever my pc bluescreens the error code is “Bad_system_config_info” When i try to reset the pc it simply says “there was a problem resetting this pc”When it...
  3. Having major issues with windows, need help resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Having major issues with windows, need help resetting: Hi, my pc is currently stuck crashing constantly & freezing up on the desktop homescreen when it does even get there. Whenever my pc bluescreens the error code is “Bad_system_config_info” When i try to reset the pc it simply says “there was a problem resetting this pc”When it...
  4. Having major issues with windows, need help resetting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. NEED HELP WITH MS STORE PURCHASE OF "RIVIT VIEWER"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NEED HELP WITH MS STORE PURCHASE OF "RIVIT VIEWER": RIVIT VIEWER, CANT GET ONTO COMPUTER TO OPEN RIVIT DOWNLOAD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-with-ms-store-purchase-of-rivit-viewer/912c218c-ab21-439b-b3ae-59c27e1b18a2
  6. NEED HELP WITH MS STORE PURCHASE OF "RIVIT VIEWER"

NEED HELP WITH MS STORE PURCHASE OF "RIVIT VIEWER": RIVIT VIEWER, CANT GET ONTO COMPUTER TO OPEN RIVIT DOWNLOAD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-with-ms-store-purchase-of-rivit-viewer/912c218c-ab21-439b-b3ae-59c27e1b18a2
  7. Anyone know how to recover emails, work up this morning to them gone need help to get them...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anyone know how to recover emails, work up this morning to them gone need help to get them...: Anyone know how to recover lost emails, woke up this morning to them all gone and need them back asap https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anyone-know-how-to-recover-emails-work-up-this/4b2a38e4-864a-4e00-bd95-a068dbb75e8d
  8. Anyone know how to recover emails, work up this morning to them gone need help to get them...

Anyone know how to recover emails, work up this morning to them gone need help to get them...: Anyone know how to recover lost emails, woke up this morning to them all gone and need them back asap https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anyone-know-how-to-recover-emails-work-up-this/4b2a38e4-864a-4e00-bd95-a068dbb75e8d
  9. Needing clarity, regarding MediaCreationTool21H1, trying to understand choices given

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Needing clarity, regarding MediaCreationTool21H1, trying to understand choices given: With things changing so quickly it is hard to tell how old or not info given is regarding this tool or reinstalling windows. What I have read regarding the use of 'MediaCreationTool21H1' is this; that once I run it I will have 2 choices:-1- Upgrade this PC now-2- Create...
  10. Needing clarity, regarding MediaCreationTool21H1, trying to understand choices given

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Needing clarity, regarding MediaCreationTool21H1, trying to understand choices given: With things changing so quickly it is hard to tell how old or not info given is regarding this tool or reinstalling windows. What I have read regarding the use of 'MediaCreationTool21H1' is this; that once I run it I will have 2 choices:-1- Upgrade this PC now-2- Create...