Windows 10: Need someone well versed in networking to help me diagnose port issue

Discus and support Need someone well versed in networking to help me diagnose port issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So my networking acumen is fairly generic. Its never had to be anything but. Never ran into an issue. Well, just upgraded to gigabit fiber which speed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by klepp0906, Jun 29, 2019.

1. klepp0906 Win User

Need someone well versed in networking to help me diagnose port issue

So my networking acumen is fairly generic. Its never had to be anything but. Never ran into an issue.

Well, just upgraded to gigabit fiber which speed wise is amazing - but it has left me unable to forward ports (at least for inbound tcp?) which leaves it substantially closer to useless.

I expected to be able to forward qbittorrent ez pz and then move on to other more complicated things like plex (requires pointing an outside port to a diff inside port, not even sure if its possible on my gateway, it was not on my old one so i was stuck using upnp which this gateway doesnt have/include)

Anyways, the gateway is the Arris BGW BGW210-700.

I have it set to forward TCP/UDP to qbittorrent on the same port I have manually specified. It works when connected to the VPN (i forward the same port through their web interface) so I know its something specific with my gateway.

I used the trial of port forward network utilities and it says that port is open UDP, but closed on TCP. Ironically even though qbittorrent is set to use either, Im not connectable as TCP needs to be open.

I know theres means via command line to see whats pointing where, and someone with the know-how can whittle it down from there. Its just a bit above my pay-grade.

If anyone can help, id be eternally grateful. ive wasted several days on this now *Sad Router restarts. computer restarts. switch restarts. ip release/renews. dns flush. Dont know what else to do.

:)

klepp0906, Jun 29, 2019
  2. Gino Des Win User

Issues with network adapters

Hi Alfonso,

To resolve this issue, we suggest that you run the Network troubleshooter when you switch from WiFi to Ethernet connection. The Network troubleshooter can help diagnose and fix common connection problems including clearing the network cache to obtain a new
    IP from the new network. Kindly follow the steps below:

• In the search box on the taskbar, type Identify and repair network problems, and then select
      Identify and repair network problems from the list of results.
    • Follow the steps in the troubleshooter and see if that fixes the problem.

If the issue persists, kindly try the troubleshooting steps on the following link:

Fix network connection issues in Windows 10

We recommend that you try the steps on the Update the network adapter driver,
    Run the Network troubleshooter followed by networking commands, and Use network reset to reinstall network devices sections.

Let us know how it goes for us to assist you further.

Gino Des, Jun 29, 2019
  3. Issue with USB ports turning off

Hi Mattx1,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

1. Does the issue occur with all the USB devices plugged in to the PC?
    2. Does the issue occur when you plug in the USB device to any of the UISB port on the PC?
    3. Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?

Let us try these steps one by one to check if that makes any difference.

Step 1: Suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter and check if that helps.

1. From the Settings screen, choose Update & Security.
    2. Select Troubleshoot. Look for Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter and run it.
    3. Follow the on-screen direction to complete the process and if required please apply the fix it.
    4. Once it is done, please reboot the computer and check the status.

Step 2: Suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the USB drivers on the PC to check if that helps.

1. Press ‘Windows + R’ keys, type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run window and press Enter.
    2. In Device Manager, expand "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
    3. Right click a device under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and click uninstall.
    4. Perform same step for other devices. When completed, restart the computer.
    All USB controllers will reinstall automatically.

Article for Reference.

Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17614/automatically-diagnose-and-fix-windows-usb-problems

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Jun 29, 2019
  4. Kursah Win User

Help diagnose connection issue

I think the OP should look into other ISP options available in their area. Sounds like an issue between signal quality locally and possibly on the WAN side as well. But if it is a pain to get service from a place you're paying for service, I'd be dropping them like a bad habit unless there's no other options.

A couple things I would do is to run a constant ping against the router's IP address and something like Google.

• Click start
    • Type CMD
    • Type ipconfig , document the default gateway as that is the IP address for your router. Common ones are 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1. There are others, but I see those three the most as defaults for home-grade routers.
    • Type Ping -t 192.168.0.1 (or whatever your router's IP address is)
    • Open another CMD console (repeat first two steps)
    • Type Ping -t google.com
    Now keep an eye on the ms responses, try to do this at a time when things are good and a time when things are not good. If they're both all over the place its likely a router issue. If just Google is all over the place it is more likely to be your ISP's issue.

A lot of home-grade wireless routers will struggle with more than 5 simultaneous users, but you state that the issues occur when most folks are gone. That leads me to believe that there could be a couple of things happening here. But let me ask a few questions and see where we go. Sorry I have a lot to ask and am very curious about this situation, and hopefully these will help give us direction to getting your issues solved.

What kind of internet service do you have?

Cable? DSL? Line-of-sight wireless? Satellite?...most homebrew ISP's are the Line-of-sight so I'm assuming that's what it is for now.

LoS ISP's can have more outages leading to lower reliability, and they usually have lower quality help with some issues..especially if they're stretched thin over their area. We have a lot of local guys, they all start promising...every one of them ends up being subpar and assholes to deal with .​
    Do these issues occur at the same time of day or is it more random?

You mention a 120ms ping, how are you measuring this?

You also say locally to 120ms, which would be pretty bad actually for a small LAN. You should see 1-10ms in most cases. Can you clarify this?

What are you most frequently doing when the network has these issues? Downloading? Browsing?

I ask the above because viewing and downloading certain content can be detected and filtered by ISP's at which point they will throttle your service...so if it is illegal, then that's getting flagged. Not saying you are, but throwing that out there because it happens. Though in many cases, at least in my area, you'll also receive a warning letter in the mail.​
    As suggested above you could also try another router hooking it up to the LAN port that you had your other PC connected to.

Also as suggested above, you could run Wireshark. Though I have a feeling with the wireless signal issues, something else is at play here.

Does the modem/router reboot frequently as well?

Can you provide us with the make/model of the modem/router please?

Where are you measuring your wireless network's dB signal rating?

Have you tried Acrylic?

Would you and post a screenshot here after say 10 minutes?

If I had to just shoot from the hip and just guess, I'd go with a failing router. With all the wireless network variability issues, the dropouts even on LAN... but line/signal quality from the ISP infrastructure/devices also sounds like a possibility.

Hopefully we'll get ya sorted! A lot of good suggestions that I've seen so far and hopefully we can help you pinpoint what the issue is and where to go from here. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Need someone well versed in networking to help me diagnose port issue - Similar Threads - Need someone versed

2. Can someone help me with this issue?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can someone help me with this issue?: Today I started my PC and on the lock screen it showed 'Preparing Windows'. After it loaded, the Windows was completely formatted, all my files and apps were missing! Idk what happened. I haven't even made a new user account or somth. I tried to press the start button and...
  3. Can someone help me with this issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can someone help me with this issue?: Today I started my PC and on the lock screen it showed 'Preparing Windows'. After it loaded, the Windows was completely formatted, all my files and apps were missing! Idk what happened. I tried to press the start button and search button but none worked. I restarted my laptop...
  4. Need Help. to diagnose this issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need Help. to diagnose this issue: Good day,May I ask what programs I can use to diagnose this issue I encountered? Yesterday when I was exporting my edited photos in Lightroom. it suddenly shut down my PC and then reboot. but after I log in on Windows logon it shutdown again my PC then almost 2 to 3x repeat...
  5. Need Help. to diagnose this issue

Need Help. to diagnose this issue: Good day,May I ask what programs I can use to diagnose this issue I encountered? Yesterday when I was exporting my edited photos in Lightroom. it suddenly shut down my PC and then reboot. but after I log in on Windows logon it shutdown again my PC then almost 2 to 3x repeat...
  6. Can someone help me diagnose my BSOD occurrences?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can someone help me diagnose my BSOD occurrences?: Hi,My computer keeps running into BSOD error. I can't figure out why.CPU and GPU temps seems fine and I've disabled all overclocks.I did a Windows upgrade a few days ago to try fix it and it's still occurring.I can upload my .dmp file if that helps?The error I get in...
  7. Can someone help me diagnose my BSOD occurrences?

Can someone help me diagnose my BSOD occurrences?: Hi,My computer keeps running into BSOD error. I can't figure out why.CPU and GPU temps seems fine and I've disabled all overclocks.I did a Windows upgrade a few days ago to try fix it and it's still occurring.I can upload my .dmp file if that helps?The error I get in...
  8. Frequent BSODs, need help diagnosing and fixing the issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Frequent BSODs, need help diagnosing and fixing the issue: Hi,I have been experiencing very frequent BSODs as of late. From what I can see, the BSODs tend to occur usually with a session of Ableton Live 11 a music production program, but sometimes happen without Ableton either. In case I open an Ableton project a BSOD can occur at...
  9. Need Help Diagnosing Driver Issues

Need Help Diagnosing Driver Issues: Hi, I've been plagued by various BSODs. I've tried to troubleshoot them as much as I can on my own but there are persistent problems I can't figure out. After using the driver verifier I got a Driver Verifier Detected Violation BSOD... I've included the log files here,...
  10. Someone help me diagnose my BSODs

Someone help me diagnose my BSODs: I am having problems with blue screens of death on my Toshiba laptop recently; could someone please help me diagnose the reason for the crashes? I have attached the dmp files as well as the txt of the msinfo32 to OneDrive It's always showing "DPC_Watchdog_Violation" but I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Someone to help with networking issues