Windows 10: Need to access a deceased family member's computer

Discus and support Need to access a deceased family member's computer in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, This year had a family member who died from cancer. I want to access their laptop to clean out the computer, close down any accounts they had... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Rogue1618, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Rogue1618 Win User

Need to access a deceased family member's computer

Hi,

This year had a family member who died from cancer. I want to access their laptop to clean out the computer, close down any accounts they had and end their email coming in, things like that. Problem is someone tossed out the book that had their passwords including the one to unlock Windows on startup. Is there a way to get into the computer? Thanks.

:)

Rogue1618, Sep 1, 2020

2. Deceased family member PC

Sorry about your loss.

But we do not work for Microsoft.

This is the Microsoft information, but their email address does not work.

Microsoft does have a process in place for when these sad circumstances happen:

You can learn more about Microsoft's Next of Kin process here.

Occasionally, family members or third parties may need to request email account data in the event of a customer’s death or medical incapacitation. We realize that these may be difficult times for those seeking access to their loved one’s information.
    However, the right to privacy and the security of our customers’ data is a fundamental concern to Microsoft. Our users expect Microsoft to keep their information private and secure even in the event of death or incapacitation. Our primary responsibility
    is to honor this expectation.

If a third party has a compelling need to access a user’s account and he or she has appropriate legal permission for this access, or have additional questions about access to a deceased or incapacitated user’s account, please send inquiries to
    L: msrecord@microsoft.com

"Microsoft office locations around the world"

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/worldwide.aspx

Regards.

Bill Smithers, Sep 1, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    DaveM121, Sep 1, 2020
  4. gamoses Win User

broken "family member needs to sign in"

Parental controls stopped working. Family.Microsoft.com has alert: "Your family member needs to sign in to their Windows 10 device AngLaptop2014 for family features to work.

But the "how to fix this" says

• Select Accounts > Family & other people
    • Under Your family, select your family member, then select Allow
    • Have your family member sign in with their Microsoft account if asked to
    And the steps don't apply. The account is already allowed, and there is no option to change that.

Now what???

gamoses, Sep 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Need to access a deceased family member's computer - Similar Threads - Need access deceased

2. Access the computer of a deceased person

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access the computer of a deceased person: I am the Executor of a deceased person's estate. How can I access his computer when I don't have his Microsoft account user name, password or 4 digit code?...
  3. Deceased Family Member Account access

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Deceased Family Member Account access: My dad passed away two years ago and my mom has been using his laptop, for two years without issue. Last week it started prompting her to enter a hello pin, which to our knowledge we don't have. The microsoft account is linked to my dad's email, which is no longer active....
  4. Deceased family member

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Deceased family member: I want to get into my grandmother's computer to try and find some pictures before i reset her computer. Every attempt at recovering the password has failed saying I don't have enough of her information. I have been on the phone and trying to use the virtual agent for an hour....
  5. Accessing a deceased family members account

Accessing a deceased family members account: My mother passed away almost three years ago and I have been using her old HP laptop. I have had no issues with it as we knew her pin to access the machine. I recently went back to college and have been using her laptop with no problems until recently when I did a system...
  6. Deceased Father and needing computer access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Deceased Father and needing computer access: Hello, My father passed away and he has 2 computers which I do not know the passwords to as he had changed them and forgot what they were. I need t get into these to get all the information off of them for bills and private information. I attempted the security questions...
  7. Need help for a family member

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need help for a family member: Hi I hope someone can help me. A family member got a new hp laptop, she did the setup, but thought the Microsoft account was her's it's her email address, but his name so turns out her new laptop now signs her in with her X-husbands name. She is very bummed. How can we fix...
  8. Family member needs to sign in

Family member needs to sign in: I keep getting this error message: Your family member needs to sign in to their Windows 10 device DESKTOP-2xxxx for family features to work. Instructions do not work. I have no option for them to sign in when I am logged into my main windows account assuming this is what...
  9. Need to access deceased husband's profile

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Need to access deceased husband's profile: Hi, My husband passed away a couple of years ago but the laptop he used to use is starting to break down and I need to get into his profile to back up all his documents. He was a writer and wrote lots of stories, not published, which I want to try and publish or save for...
  10. Transfer computer to family member

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer computer to family member: Hi I am giving my old computer to my son, what do I need to do? I intend to do a clean install of Windows 10 to bring it back to factory default but how do I go about activating Windows for him?...