Windows 10: Need to be able to turn off automatic restart after Windows update install

Discus and support Need to be able to turn off automatic restart after Windows update install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I know this has been asked before, but I'm going to bring it up again to keep this topic alive and to keep reminding Microsoft that this is really... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by VestOfHolding, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Need to be able to turn off automatic restart after Windows update install

I know this has been asked before, but I'm going to bring it up again to keep this topic alive and to keep reminding Microsoft that this is really irritating to their users.

In Windows 7, I could set it up so that I would get a notification that there were updates to install, and it would let me install them when I want, or automatically install them. After that, I could set it up so that it wouldn't restart until I restarted the system myself.

Now that's regressed. Setting my active hours is incredibly unhelpful. It's actually less than helpful because it misses the point. I'm a developer. I could have my computer always on for three or four weeks running all kinds of things. And last night I lost an incredible amount of stuff that I had set up (also, sidenote: my computer is in my bedroom, and I put it to sleep when I go to bed, and it is REALLY unsettling to be woken up in the middle of the night by my monitors flaring up to life because my computer restarted without me telling it to).

Point being, the options we had in Windows 7 need to come back. I understand the importance of updates. Hell, if there's some really bad exploits that Microsoft needs to push out some fixes for, I'd even be less annoyed if there was some sort of notification saying that that's why my computer really needed to be restarted.

Hide it in some advanced settings, fine. Just give me back that option!

This ask needs to keep being brought up. There really needs to be a setting somewhere to have this kind of control again on the Home edition of Windows 10.

:)

VestOfHolding, Jan 10, 2019
  2. bigscale Win User

windows automatic updates

i have some questions about the windows automatic updates in windows xp pro w sp/2. ive got about forty updates they recommend , mostly for security but i only installed two today. after installing them i found them in my add/remove programs in the control panel, if i add all these updates that is a lot of space on my hd almost 1 gig. i thought that updates just updated files and not created new programs. should i innore all these update suggestions from microsoft?

bigscale, Jan 10, 2019
  3. Windows 7 automatically installs drivers...

You can tell windows 7 to stop installing updates yes. It will automatically download and install all unselected updates in queue when you restart or turn off your PC. If it's already in your update queue you can select to hide it by right clicking on the update and selecting hide it and it will not install.

EastCoasthandle, Jan 10, 2019
  4. Need to be able to turn off automatic restart after Windows update install

Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Jan 10, 2019
Thema:

Need to be able to turn off automatic restart after Windows update install

1. Need to be able to turn off automatic restart after Windows update install - Similar Threads - Need able turn

2. Laptop instantly turns off and restarts automatically

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop instantly turns off and restarts automatically: My laptop is a Lenovo with 8GB RAM, a 1TB SSD, and an AMD Ryzen 5 5500U processor Windows 10 currently, previously I had 11. Restore to 10 as I thought maybe reinstalling a lower version could help solve the problem.The problem I'm facing is that whenever I'm working on my...
  3. Laptop instantly turns off and restarts automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop instantly turns off and restarts automatically: My laptop is a Lenovo with 8GB RAM, a 1TB SSD, and an AMD Ryzen 5 5500U processor Windows 10 currently, previously I had 11. Restore to 10 as I thought maybe reinstalling a lower version could help solve the problem.The problem I'm facing is that whenever I'm working on my...
  4. Laptop instantly turns off and restarts automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. PC Automatically Restart and turn off after deleted NVIDIA Driver Update 457.09

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC Automatically Restart and turn off after deleted NVIDIA Driver Update 457.09: Hello , I want to ask After i install my NVIDIA Drivers from 457.09, my PC Suddenly restart or even turn off automatically without any warning,When playing games like Minecraft,Tomb raider and the other games. And even when not playing any games, my PC keeps suddenly...
  6. How to completely TURN OFF automatic restarts?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to completely TURN OFF automatic restarts?: I work for a small business whose server runs Windows 10 Pro. This is because the boss didn't want to cough up the money for Windows Server and does not want anything to do with Linux. Oh well. There are three VMs running on Oracle VirtualBox in the background continuously....
  7. Turn off automatic updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Turn off automatic updates: I have followed the directions for stopping the automatic updates, but when I try to execute them, it tells me I can't access that feature. How do I turn this feature off?...
  8. turn off automatic updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    turn off automatic updates: automatic updates in my laptop makes my browsing speed very low. how can I turn off automatic windows update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-automatic-updates/74d6a85a-409f-4eee-b806-5abd72a9471a
  9. Turn On or Off Automatically Restart Apps after Sign In in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Automatically Restart Apps after Sign In in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Automatically Restart Apps after Sign In in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Automatically Restart Apps after Sign In in Windows 10 Starting with at least sign in. This new Restart apps setting has been separated from the old Use my sign-in...
  10. Turn automatic updates off?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Turn automatic updates off?: Hello, i just installed windows 10 pro 64bit on my computer and would like to turn automatic updates off but cannot find the option on control panel. Can anyone help me out? 110716