Windows 10: Need to buy a bigger Hard Drive. Can I "copy" the entire system to it and use this old one...

Discus and support Need to buy a bigger Hard Drive. Can I "copy" the entire system to it and use this old one... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've been runing out of space for ages, I have 3 external Hard Drives, but now it's really time to get a new Main Hard Drive. I'm afraid to have to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Starless And Everlasting, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Need to buy a bigger Hard Drive. Can I "copy" the entire system to it and use this old one...

I've been runing out of space for ages, I have 3 external Hard Drives, but now it's really time to get a new Main Hard Drive. I'm afraid to have to install everything again in the new one, including Windows, Visual Studio, SQL Server, all my dev/analyst tools, all my games and apps, all the drives... That would really be close to impossible. Is there a way to tell Windows "hey, get out of that HD, you live over there now, you and all your little friends, vacate the old HD and move into the fancier bigger one" and then Windows will just go "ok, sure!" and I won't have to reinstall a single thing?

Or maybe I just reinstall Windows in the new HD and the rest is taken care for me? Because I think Windows may need repairs. I get a black screen sometimes (sound continues playing for a while, for example if I were watching a film, but input gets locked out and the screen goes black.... anyway, this is not the question I'm here to ask... I just want to know the easiest possible way of moving my entire system from 1 HD to another.

:)

Starless And Everlasting, Nov 9, 2018
  2. dhdude Win User

Replacing old hard drive, need way to copy Windows installation across

Hey Guys,
    What would be the best way of copying/imaging the entire contents of an old system drive over to a replacement hard disk for the same machine? I need to copy the Windows installations and all other data to the new drive, and then format the old drive to use as a backup.

Any suggestions? *Smile Need to buy a bigger Hard Drive. Can I "copy" the entire system to it and use this old one... :)

dhdude, Nov 9, 2018
  3. xarzu Win User
    new system old hard drive...

I have an old hard drive that has those old ribbon connections to transfer data to the mother board.

I have a new computer that mostly uses those cool little ATA (I think that is what they are called) connections.

The new computer has a Vista OS.

I opened up the case and I was supprised to see on the motherboard a wide ribbon connection and so I connected the old hard drive and a free power connection.

When I turned on the computer, the system started up like usual and did not notice the new hard drive.

I went to the Control Pannel and did an automatic add hard drive call and it did not find the old hard drive.

Any suggestions?

xarzu, Nov 9, 2018
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Need to buy a bigger Hard Drive. Can I "copy" the entire system to it and use this old one...

Copy entire drive?

I need to copy the contents of an entire drive over to another one. Cloning applications aren't working for me because the source drive is larger than the destination drive (the amount of data actually present will fit on the destination drive no problem, however).

I've tried xcopy and robocopy, but xcopy fails evidently because some file names are too long, and robocopy fails because it can't copy some protected system files.

Thema:

Need to buy a bigger Hard Drive. Can I "copy" the entire system to it and use this old one...

1. Need to buy a bigger Hard Drive. Can I "copy" the entire system to it and use this old one... - Similar Threads - Need buy bigger

2. Can I delete a copy of Windows on an old hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I delete a copy of Windows on an old hard drive?: Hello,I just installed my friend's old Seagate HDD into my laptop. It has a copy of Windows 10 from his old laptop before he switched to an SSD. I already have a copy of Windows 11 on my NVMe SSD and I plan to use the HDD to store games. Can I delete the old copy of Windows...
  3. Can I delete a copy of Windows on an old hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I delete a copy of Windows on an old hard drive?: Hello,I just installed my friend's old Seagate HDD into my laptop. It has a copy of Windows 10 from his old laptop before he switched to an SSD. I already have a copy of Windows 11 on my NVMe SSD and I plan to use the HDD to store games. Can I delete the old copy of Windows...
  4. Copy one hard drive "in toto" and move to another hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy one hard drive "in toto" and move to another hard drive: I have purchased a 2 TB Samsung SSD to replace a 2 TB Toshiba HD - it is the system boot drive. What software have you successfully used to move one drive to the other - so that when I power off and remove the Toshiba HD, the system boots from the new 2 TB Samsung SSD???...
  5. Copying entire drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying entire drive.: I want to move my entire drive including windows 10 operating system to a new larger disk I installed,how to? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-entire-drive/b555f5a3-9d07-47f2-b8b5-d28c9abb411f
  6. New system old hard drive?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New system old hard drive?: Hi, I'm building a new system soon, but I have a question. I just have this hard drive with Windows on it and keep the old drivers and everything. How can I avoid a new installation of Windows now? Can I just uninstall all the old drivers and integrate them into the new...
  7. using old hard drives

using old hard drives: I have two 500 gb ssd's on my old pc that I used for file storage and games. Can I take those out of my old pc and hook them up in my new pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-old-hard-drives/2db83d2f-0c2c-4d23-80e5-623fbc526676"
  8. Copy entire USB to hard drive on laptop

Copy entire USB to hard drive on laptop: I have a USB "thumb" drive or whatever it is called and I would like to copy the entire content to my hard drive. The electronics pulled out of the plastic body and I don't want to lose the files so I would like to copy to hard drive and then back the files up at a later...
  9. recovery disk can i buy one to hard to make

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    recovery disk can i buy one to hard to make: recovery disk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-disk-can-i-buy-one-to-hard-to-make/b54f3427-6cdb-468c-afc5-834f9ee6b25d
  10. If I replace a hard drive - can I use a System Back up to format and copy everything to the...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If I replace a hard drive - can I use a System Back up to format and copy everything to the...: I have a normal mechanical hard drive that is failing - it gives failed on several diagnostic tests. It is in a 32 Bit Windows 10 Pro Dell D820 laptop. I also have a Dell D6410 which has a fully functioning mechanical 500 GB hard drive. I have done a back up and system...