Windows 10: Need to change boot loader from external HDD to Internal SSD

Discus and support Need to change boot loader from external HDD to Internal SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So today I used WinToUsb to install another version of windows on to my external hard drive and formatted as GPT. I wanted a dual boot system.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fayze, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Fayze Win User

Need to change boot loader from external HDD to Internal SSD

So today I used WinToUsb to install another version of windows on to my external hard drive and formatted as GPT. I wanted a dual boot system. Installation went smooth and I was able to boot from my external hard drive that has Windows 10 Enterprise, the SSD has Pro.

Later on after I rebooted I could not boot from my original operating system on my SSD even if I change the boot order in my BIOS. I have exhausted my self in looking for a solution, including using EasyBCD / MiniTool Partition Wizard Free 12.1.

Using EasyBCD get access back into my original OS by adding a new entry, however once I load back into windows 10 pro on my SSD, IF my External HDD is NOT plugged in via USB or removed my whole PC crashes and that's because I think the main bootloader is on the external HDD.

WinVer 1909 (OS Build 18363.1237) (External HDD)

Need to change boot loader from external HDD to Internal SSD [​IMG]

DISK 1 WDC = My main SSD with all my stuff on it
    DISK 2 970 EVO= Nvme that I installed somewhile ago for more storage, I tried to create a EFI system partition and transfer the bootloader my self to the 970 evo but I failed.
    DISK 3= The Windows to USB that I made and now my bootloader has somehow transfered to this external drive and I can not boot my PC unless this external drive is plugged in!

If anyone can please help or steer me in the right direction I would really appreciate it, I'm not an expert or even intermediate at solving things like this, but I tried to give as much info as possible.

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Basically I can't use my system anymore unless my external hdd wintousb system is plugged in via usb *cry
    if it's not plugged in and I go to bios I am just told to insert repair disk and I don't have one and If I did I wouldn't want to wipe all my data

:)

Fayze, Dec 5, 2020

2. How to Change Boot Disk from Internal HDD to External SSD

Thanks. Am planning to but just want to make sure the SSD boots before making it internal.

MichaelCarey7, Dec 5, 2020
  3. HDD to SSD change in OEM windows 10 laptop

You mean like this article says, the enter BIOS and boot from USB , then use tool to clone external USB connected HDD to internal SSD, Please confirm.

v4: Create a bootable Windows PE USB stick (v4, Windows PE)

YashGawande, Dec 5, 2020
  4. Need to change boot loader from external HDD to Internal SSD

How to Change Boot Disk from Internal HDD to External SSD

If I were you, I'd remove the SSD from the enclosure and replace the HDD in the PC. You'll get the most speed advantage that way. You probably can then put the original HDD in the enclosure and use it as n external device.

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on Directly, Dec 5, 2020
Thema:

Need to change boot loader from external HDD to Internal SSD

1. Need to change boot loader from external HDD to Internal SSD - Similar Threads - Need change boot

2. Windows from SSD to External HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows from SSD to External HDD: I am attempting to move Windows from a pre-installed m.2 SSD to a new external HDDSeagate in my brother's HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop. The reason for this swap is because he has purchased a new SSD that has more storage than the current one. The PC did not have an internal HDD...
  3. Windows from SSD to External HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows from SSD to External HDD: I am attempting to move Windows from a pre-installed m.2 SSD to a new external HDDSeagate in my brother's HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop. The reason for this swap is because he has purchased a new SSD that has more storage than the current one. The PC did not have an internal HDD...
  4. needed to change hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Customization
    needed to change hdd to ssd: hi!! may i know which ssd hard disk is suitable for lenovo yoga 520 as when i transfer some file it is too slow already please give suggestion thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/needed-to-change-hdd-to-ssd/95a19438-5ab8-4ea4-be9c-80700a597c5d
  5. Need to change boot loader from external HDD to Internal SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need to change boot loader from external HDD to Internal SSD: So today I used WinToUsb to install another version of windows on to my external hard drive and formatted as GPT. I wanted a dual boot system. Installation went smooth and I was able to boot from my external hard drive that has Windows 10 Enterprise, the SSD has Pro. Later...
  6. How to change boot drive from hdd to ssd?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to change boot drive from hdd to ssd?: One of the latest microsoft updates crashed my computer. As a result I had to get windows reinstalled in the repair shop. When I got my computer (laptop) back, I found that windows had been reinstalled on my hdd, not my ssd. I am looking to fix this now. I've already cloned...
  7. How to Change Boot Disk from Internal HDD to External SSD

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Change Boot Disk from Internal HDD to External SSD: I've cloned C onto new external SSD. All I need now is: How do I make the PC boot from the new external SSD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-boot-disk-from-internal-hdd-to/c32a0a25-6c69-4d8a-9835-ad20bb4bb05d
  8. Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, I have an external HDD of 465 GB and I have 360 GB of space. Please tell me how I can quickly copy files to my internal HDD, how to download speed (move), or if you know any program for this or changes to Quick Move Registry. I mention that I tried...
  9. Changing from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing from HDD to SSD: I have installed an SSD drive to my desktop PC. I want this drive to be the boot up drive and have a clean copy of windows 10. What is the best way to go about this?...
  10. change HDD and boot from file.vhd in new SSD

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    change HDD and boot from file.vhd in new SSD: Hi, i have a windows 10 laptop,i have bought a SSD because i want to change my old HDD, i have just created a VHD file and now i would like to set boot loader to get it started from my FILE.VHD in my new SSD. i have win 10 dvd-rom, but i don't want reinstall everything. i...