Windows 10: Need to login twice on domain bounded Windows 10 system

Discus and support Need to login twice on domain bounded Windows 10 system in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; We are running Windows 10 Enterprise 1809, bounded to Active Directory, and have been having an issue where some users are required to login twice when... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Altinac, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Altinac Win User

Need to login twice on domain bounded Windows 10 system

We are running Windows 10 Enterprise 1809, bounded to Active Directory, and have been having an issue where some users are required to login twice when they first turn their computers on. This does not happen to all users.

The user will boot the computer up and enter their AD username/password. An affected system will do one of three things:

• Log the user in so they can see their desktop and a few seconds later, lock the screen and require them to unlock the system.
    • Log the user in, but lock the screen before you even see the desktop. Again, they just unlock the system.
    • What appears to be logging the user in and then quickly goes back to the login screen asking for both username/password.

The first two issues will also seem to happen when a user RDPs to a Windows 10 system; however, not the third. This issue does not happen when RDPing to a Server class OS.

Has anyone seen this issue or have any insight as to what the cause may be?

:)

Altinac, Jul 3, 2019
  2. Kursah Win User

Windows 10 multiple system login crap! [Solved!] Thanks to Kursah!

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-sign-options

Using login credentials is best practice, and is going to be more and more among the norms. You can bypass needing a password if you're NOT using a Microsoft account. But if you are, that's an online linked account...wouldn't make any sense to be able to automatically login to a sync'd account without credentials would it?

If you're using local accounts or non-domain accounts, you don't need to have a password to login. See link above, you'll be able to make the changes you need by following that, in a few minutes your frustrations will be gone. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Jul 3, 2019
  3. changari Win User
    Raising the windows domain and forest issues?

hi,

I run a domain that was all 2003 r2 servers. I recently upgraded all my domain controllers to windows 2012 r2.
    That went off without any problems.. Our trust relationships had no issues also.

My first step was to raise the Domain and Forest levels past 2003 to 2008. This went off without a hitch.
    These are the features for raising the levels to 2008:

• Features and benefits include all default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2003 domain functional level, plus:
    • Read-Only Domain Controllers – Allows implementation of domain controllers that only host read-only copy of NTDS database.
    • Advanced Encryption Services – (AES 128 and 256) support for the Kerberos protocol.
    • Distributed File System Replication (DFSR) – Allows SYSVOL to replicate using DFSR instead of older File Replication Service (FRS). It provides more robust and detailed replication of SYSVOL contents.

Forest Level Windows Server 2008

• Features and benefits include all of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, but no additional features. All domains that are subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level by default.

My next step is to raise the domain and forest to 2008 r2, then 2012, and finally 2012 r2. I have been trying to find out exactly what I could expect from raising the Domain and Forest for each step.

The step involving 2008 r2 seems relatively a non issue. But getting the couple of new features seem very nice

Domain Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level, plus 2 new features

Forest Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, plus the following features:

• Active Directory Recycle Bin, which provides the ability to restore deleted objects in their entirety while AD DS is running. <== New Feature very cool
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 R2 domain functional level by default.

Here is my big concerns for the next raising of domain and forest to 2012.

Forest Level Windows Server 2012:

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2008 R2 forest functional level, but no additional features.
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2012 domain functional level by default.

Domain Level Windows Server 2012 R2: <=====
    Need to investigate more and why this post

• DC-side protections for Protected Users. Protected Users authenticating to a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain can no longer:

• Authenticate with NTLM authentication <==============(what issues may arise)
    • Use DES or RC4 cipher suites in Kerberos pre-authentication
    • Be delegated with unconstrained or constrained delegation
    • Renew user tickets (TGTs) beyond the initial 4-hour lifetime

Will this affect my exchange anywhere users with remote access authenticating either clear of NTLM???
    and what would/may not to work properly day 1 when I raise the domain and forest to 2012. I cant really find anyone that can answer a straight question.

Has anyone gone through this? what problems did you have, if any , if a lot???

Any thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated??

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

One more point... I am not sure if I posted this to the correct forum.. So if I was wrong and it should be in a different one..
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW

changari, Jul 3, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Need to login twice on domain bounded Windows 10 system - Similar Threads - Need login twice

2. Windows 10 - Login twice some time

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 - Login twice some time: HiI was facing login issue like twice login so i searched on microsoft forum title "Windows 10 - Login twice every time" and found out that create another user profile since its happenning due to profile corruption.So i have created another user account but still problem of...
  3. Windows 10 - Login twice some time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - Login twice some time: HiI was facing login issue like twice login so i searched on microsoft forum title "Windows 10 - Login twice every time" and found out that create another user profile since its happenning due to profile corruption.So i have created another user account but still problem of...
  4. Windows 10 - Login twice some time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Mircosoft login in twice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mircosoft login in twice: I recently just got a new pc and keep trying to log in to my mircosoft account. It asks me to log in with my email and password, then this message appears "Sign into this computer using your Microsoft accountNext time you sign into this computer, use your Microsoft account...
  6. Mircosoft login in twice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mircosoft login in twice: I recently just got a new pc and keep trying to log in to my mircosoft account. It asks me to log in with my email and password, then this message appears "Sign into this computer using your Microsoft accountNext time you sign into this computer, use your Microsoft account...
  7. Mircosoft login in twice

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Windows 10 - Domain bound - Time Zone randomly changes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 - Domain bound - Time Zone randomly changes: We have a specific group of domain bound computers with authenticated users that are randomly changing their Time Zone from Central Daylight Time to Eastern time (as displayed in Time/Date settings and the clock is advanced by an hour). It has been confirmed that there are...
  9. Windows 10 Domain login not working

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 Domain login not working: Hi, We have downloaded Windows 10 pro and have added it to our work domain. Restarted the laptop Lenovo Yoga 710 and have tried logging into it with domain accounts and receive an error message which says "username or password invalid". It is connected to the work domain...
  10. System Event Notification errors with domain logins

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Event Notification errors with domain logins: Hey guys, This error started happening only on computers with 1511 installed. The original RTM of Windows 10 doesn't do this, nor do Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. I tried some Google searches but all I see are relevant to 7 or 8, not Windows 10. It must have been something changed...