Windows 10: Need to manually install a driver but getting an error

Discus and support Need to manually install a driver but getting an error in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm trying to get a manually installed device driver to work under Win 10 Pro 64-bit, but I have a problem. I copy the driver to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by WinTenner, Feb 2, 2018.

1. WinTenner Win User

Need to manually install a driver but getting an error

I'm trying to get a manually installed device driver to work under Win 10 Pro 64-bit, but I have a problem.

I copy the driver to c:\windows\system32\drivers (have also tried just c:\windows\system32 ) but on trying to start it manually from the command prompt with administrator level privileges (using sc start drivername) I get:

[SC]StartService: OpenService FAILED 1060:

"the specified service does not exist as an installed service"

I should say that I've done this before under Windows 7 Pro 64-bit without any problems. The driver is signed so should also work under Win 10.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

:)

WinTenner, Feb 2, 2018
  2. Entegy Win User

Driver for Windows Phone 7 as portable device in XP SP3

Having Zune installed is enough to get going. You don't need to manually install drivers unless you're troubleshooting. If you're seeing errors in Zune, or Zune doesn't see the phone, post the errors. Otherwise, what's the end goal here?

Entegy, Feb 2, 2018
  3. Need to manually specify driver for USB headset

Please! Someone!

I'm going mad with the exact same issue! The problem randomly fixes itself sometimes, just to get into the exact same state as before when your PC crashes/Audio Fails/anything Windows related actually.

There is no correct answer to this on the whole Internet, can you please provide a bit more informations on what to do next?

For the Logitech G930 there is nothing like a "single Driver" which you are probably used to.

There only is the Logitech Gaming Software, which contains a G930 Driver.

It is impossible to force the G930 Driver over the Avnera one (well it is, but will Show up as "Avnera Logitech G930)

I can tell you the Headset is not damaged and was working fine just like 5 minutes ago.

I had this issue now like 10 times and I'm really going madman crazy. Please help us G930 Users!!

Sidenote: Clean Windows 10 Install on a new SSD.

Alex_THE_IT_GUY, Feb 2, 2018
  4. tchagas Win User

Are you trying to install the driver for which device, could you pass the model of the device you want to install?

tchagas, Feb 2, 2018
  5. WinTenner Win User
    It's for an EPROM programmer that isn't officially supported under 64-bit Windows (7, 8 or 10). However a driver exists which was created just for 64-bit Windows which I've had working under Win 7 Pro 64-bit. The programmer is a Galep-4 and it connects to the PC using a parallel cable (therefore the PC also has in it a Startech PCI card with a parallel port which has its own drivers - no faults reported with that).

The driver does need to be installed manually as outlined in my first post.

Thanks

WinTenner, Feb 2, 2018
  6. tchagas Win User
    tchagas, Feb 3, 2018
  7. Samuria Win User
    Is it a signed driver or windows wont accept it? Is there an .inf file with it if so if you right click on it you get an install optoin

Samuria, Feb 3, 2018
  8. WinTenner Win User

It is signed but there's no inf file. It installs just fine (by copying it to c:\windows\system32\drivers) under Win 7 Pro 64-bit but not Win 10 Pro 64-bit.

WinTenner, Feb 3, 2018
  9. WinTenner Win User
    Yes, that's the original main install package but it only contains a 32-bit driver. The new, signed 64-bit driver (produced by a third party) is what I use just fine under Win 7 but it's not installing under Win 10.

WinTenner, Feb 3, 2018
  10. WinTenner Win User
    Here's the page with the newly signed 64-bit driver and installation info:

GALEP-4, GALEP-III

WinTenner, Feb 3, 2018
  11. WinTenner Win User
    I've made a bit of progress with this, I first had to type:

sc create glpntdrv type= kernel binPath=c:\windows\system32\drivers\glpntdrv.sys

this worked and gave the message:

[SC] CreateService SUCCESS

I then typed:

sc start glpntdrv

but this gave the error:

startservice failed with error 193

any ideas how to fix that please?

WinTenner, Feb 3, 2018
  12. tchagas Win User
    The missing 64-bit compilation of glpntdrv.sys driver is the
    one-and-only reason why galep32.exe won't run on 64 bit editions of Windows.
    This is a running and digitally signed release of
    64-bit glpntdrv.sys, with this installation instructions:

- Install galep32 as usual (with administrative privileges) and start once.

- Copy glpntdrv.sys to C:\windows\system32\drivers,
    using the 64-bit version of Windows explorer, with administrative privileges.
    (The 32-bit driver file should be at C:\windows\syswow64\drivers,
    this file is useless in a 64-bit Windows and can be deleted safely.)

- Check for working driver using console window (cmd.exe), enter
    “sc start glpntdrv”. This should emit no error message,
    or possibly „Service already started“.

- Start galep32.exe, it works now.

https://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heh...4/glpntdrv.sys

tchagas, Feb 4, 2018
  13. WinTenner Win User

Thanks. Yes, those are the instructions that I've been using. They are also missing a step - before entering 'sc start glpntdrv' you need to enter:

sc create glpntdrv type= kernel binPath=c:\windows\system32\drivers\glpntdrv.sys

then you enter:

sc start glpntdrv

but this gives the error:

startservice failed with error 193

WinTenner, Feb 4, 2018
  14. tchagas Win User
    Kind of complicated to solve your problem. I advise installing the combative system with this recorder

tchagas, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Need to manually install a driver but getting an error - Similar Threads - Need manually install

2. Issue with installing drivers manually

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with installing drivers manually: I was trying to manually update drivers for my android device on Windows 10, and I wasn't able to select one "from disk".This same problem persisted on Windows 11 for me, as well as when I used 3 different drivers, or whenever I try to manually install any driver....
  3. Issue with installing drivers manually

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue with installing drivers manually: I was trying to manually update drivers for my android device on Windows 10, and I wasn't able to select one "from disk".This same problem persisted on Windows 11 for me, as well as when I used 3 different drivers, or whenever I try to manually install any driver....
  4. Issue with installing drivers manually

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Need to manually download and install Display Driver for Windows 10 21h1.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to manually download and install Display Driver for Windows 10 21h1.: Hello, I have just done a clean install of Windows 10 21h1, I need to download and install the display Driver. The hardware for the Display driver is Intel HD Graphics.Can someone send me the link to download the Latest Driver, and also show me how to install the...
  6. Need to manually download and install Display Driver for Windows 10 21h1.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to manually download and install Display Driver for Windows 10 21h1.: Hello, I have just done a clean install of Windows 10 21h1, I need to download and install the display Driver. The hardware for the Display driver is Intel HD Graphics.Can someone send me the link to download the Latest Driver, and also show me how to install the...
  7. Need to manually download and install Display Driver for Windows 10 21h1.

8. Unknown device drivers not installing manually

Unknown device drivers not installing manually: Up until my update this morning I have had a wireless adapter for my Xbox 360 controller. I have been manually assigning it driver updates but this time, I try to update it and nothing happens. I go to manage devices Other devices Unknown device Browse my computer Pick...
  9. Unable to install driver manually

Unable to install driver manually: Hi, I wanted to use my Guitar Hero Live controller for Xbox 360 on PC. To use it, I read that you need to use the driver 'Xbox 360 Controller for Windows' as shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtyrvJ2YUCw. So I update the driver and pick the correct driver...
  10. manually install device driver

manually install device driver: PC isn't automatically picking up a new device...how do I manually install a device driver? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/manually-install-device-driver/1366fd37-5da6-44c5-ba4c-b3934eb914cf

Users found this page by searching for:

1. galep32 windows 10

2. GLPNTDRV.SYS

3. glpntdrv.sys galep 4 windows 10

4. downlo glpntdrv.sys