Windows 10: Need to move AppData folder from SSD onto other Hard Disk

Discus and support Need to move AppData folder from SSD onto other Hard Disk in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It's been about a year since i built my rig, and since i decided i had more experience working with everything, and keeping it clean, I've decided to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by glitchdweller, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Need to move AppData folder from SSD onto other Hard Disk

It's been about a year since i built my rig, and since i decided i had more experience working with everything, and keeping it clean, I've decided to hit the good old reset computer button in windows settings, just for a clean slate. I've not yet installed any programs, just to avoid personal confusion, so every file on the system should be stock.

Onto the issue:
    I'm wanting to move anything and everything applications can install to, the Program Files folders should be a great start, but since i can change something like that when i install a program anyways, i'm not worrying yet. What I worry about most is AppData, which was the bulk of what took up my C drive on my last install. I've made a symbolic link, but im not convinced it's working, as if the data there is still stored on the C drive, and my other drive is just a shortcut to it. I read elsewhere that you could simply go into properties and change the location, much like other user files (desktop, downloads, pictures, documents, etc), but I cannot seem to find this setting. What's the best course of action here?

Windows 10 Professional X64 Version 2004 Build 19041.329

:)

glitchdweller, Jul 11, 2020
  2. Compumind Win User

Moving the 'My Documents' folder (and others) to a different hard disk

Precisely! You can even do it in Word or Notepad.

Thanks, Denis.

*Biggrin

Compumind, Jul 11, 2020
  3. Try3 Win User

Art,

I think he is suggesting keeping a list of non-standard aspects of your setup so that you can 'quickly' whizz through the list if you ever have to set it all up from scratch again.

I do the same. My setup procedure is in a spreadsheet with one major topic for each sheet.

Need to move AppData folder from SSD onto other Hard Disk [​IMG]

Denis

4. Need to move AppData folder from SSD onto other Hard Disk

This is the sort of thing that I always do. It is so much easier if you have to go back to it after several months because it triggers your memory and it all comes flooding back to you!
    *Thumbs

Paul Black, Jul 11, 2020
Thema:

Need to move AppData folder from SSD onto other Hard Disk

1. Need to move AppData folder from SSD onto other Hard Disk - Similar Threads - Need move AppData

2. Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD: I am wanting to swap my windows 10 from my HDD to my SSD, I was wondering if I choose to reinstall windows will it give me the option of where I install it, or will it automatically go to the disk it was already installed on?...
  3. Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD: I am wanting to swap my windows 10 from my HDD to my SSD, I was wondering if I choose to reinstall windows will it give me the option of where I install it, or will it automatically go to the disk it was already installed on?...
  4. Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Moving the 'My Documents' folder (and others) to a different hard disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving the 'My Documents' folder (and others) to a different hard disk: Hi Folks! Having thoroughly sanitised the 5TB hard disk (subject of a couple of other threads on TenForums - see 5TB showing 561.53GB, Encrypting the Windows System Disk and Drive encryption), I'd like to move the following folders from their current default location on C:...
  6. Moving software User Folders onto an encrypted Disk...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Moving software User Folders onto an encrypted Disk...: HI I've a laptop with two SSds. I'm considering relocating the User and Documents folders (as per the direction of this thread Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10) off the C: onto the D: drive and then encrypting the D:. Does anyone know if this could cause an issue...
  7. How to move C:\...\Appdata\Local to other disk?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to move C:\...\Appdata\Local to other disk?: Hello everyone!... Last week, I have been trying a lot of stuff to move my files from Appdata. However creating a symbolic link is not enough. I got PC's where i could change the location just by clicking to properties(Going to Location and changing it manually), but they...
  8. Moving Appdata folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Appdata folder: I am looking to move the Appdata folder within my user file. I have tried previously to move it(changing the location of the files inside it)and it caused system hangs and a loss of the start menu. Ive also tried to do the old method of running though audit mode and that...
  9. Moving Folder Locations from SSD onto D Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Folder Locations from SSD onto D Drive: So i moved my documents, pictures, videos, and music folders from my ssd to my D drive. This is the process i followed: right click folder, click properties, click the location tab, click move, select the D drive, click ok. What I failed to do, was create a NEW folder...
  10. AppData folder and other system folders muddled and moved

in Windows 10 Support
    AppData folder and other system folders muddled and moved: Hello, I've got a problem with my AppData folder and similar folders after I tried to move certain other folders. This began when I tried moving the 'Camera Roll' and 'Saved Pictures' folders from the 'Pictures' folder - after trying to delete them, they kept reappearing,...