Windows 10: Need to move Windows boot manager from Win 7 drive to Win 10 drive

Discus and support Need to move Windows boot manager from Win 7 drive to Win 10 drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have found that when I installed Win 10 Pro 64 on my PC, on a new SSD drive, it put the boot manager on the old Win 7 drive. Perhaps that was because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JohnW63, Sep 19, 2020.

1. JohnW63 Win User

Need to move Windows boot manager from Win 7 drive to Win 10 drive

I have found that when I installed Win 10 Pro 64 on my PC, on a new SSD drive, it put the boot manager on the old Win 7 drive. Perhaps that was because it was in the Drive 0 Sata port and the new SSD was in port 1. Didn't know that at the time. I've used the " which OS do you want the launch " blue screen all this time. Win 10 being the default. If I unplug the old drive, my PC finds nothing to boot to.

I looked at the drive partition info in the "Computer Management -> Disk Management" part of Win 10 and see my C drive is not set as active, but a small System Reserved partition at the front of the Win 7 partition is. The Win 10 partition is set as " Boot, page file, crash dump, Primary partition " and Healthy. With a secondary partition as Recovery Partition.

I used diskpart to verify I am not using an EFI type partition. Doesn't say EFI on any partition in the Manager screen either.

I looked in the c:\boot\ folder on the Win 10 partition and it was empty. I couldn't find where it is supposed to be hiding on Win 7 partition. The Reserved partition is empty as well, but it is listed a " System, Active " I assigned a drive letter to it long enough to browse it.

Where is the boot manager and how do I move it ?

:)

JohnW63, Sep 19, 2020

2. Dual-boot Win10/7 or go back to Win 7

Separate Hard Drive for win 7 and win 10
    select boot drive at bios when Booting ( F10 )
    Keeps them entirely separate and makes wipeing disk later easier

dorsetknob, Sep 19, 2020
  3. RealNeil Win User
    Win 10 boots...

Yes, it's called the Windows Technical Preview and you can get it here (ISO Download)

You'll have to sign up for a MS account using your email and a password.

I'm using it with a 480GB SSD as the OS drive and it ~does~ boot faster, much faster.
    I also have a new Win-7 build with a pair of 120GB SSDs in RAID that takes longer to boot.

RealNeil, Sep 19, 2020
  4. RAW
    Raw Win User

Win 10 boots...

Anyone else notice Win 10 boots much faster into Windows? I mean much, much faster.
    I am now getting into Windows almost as fast as my SSD drive on my other machine.
    It's crazy fast for me.

Thema:

1. Need to move Windows boot manager from Win 7 drive to Win 10 drive - Similar Threads - Need move boot

2. Moving win 10 to a new drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving win 10 to a new drive: Hi Currently i have my windows and apps / data stored on the c drive as standard installationi am looking to move the OS to a new drive and keep the existing apps, programs, docs emails etc on the existing drive which i guess will need to be assigned a new drive letterWhat is...
  3. Moving win 10 to a new drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving win 10 to a new drive: Hi Currently i have my windows and apps / data stored on the c drive as standard installationi am looking to move the OS to a new drive and keep the existing apps, programs, docs emails etc on the existing drive which i guess will need to be assigned a new drive letterWhat is...
  4. Moving win 10 to a new drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. My compressed drive will not boot win 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My compressed drive will not boot win 7: My compressed drive will not boot win 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-compressed-drive-will-not-boot-win-7/214e84de-93a6-4ef3-9f53-81ed24f53cbc
  6. My compressed drive will not boot win 7

My compressed drive will not boot win 7: My compressed drive will not boot win 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-compressed-drive-will-not-boot-win-7/214e84de-93a6-4ef3-9f53-81ed24f53cbc
  7. Need Help moving from win 7 to win 10 on a dual boot computer.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need Help moving from win 7 to win 10 on a dual boot computer.: I am looking to move from windows 7 to windows 10 and would like to know if there is an easy way to move all my stuff from one OS to the other? I have both installed on my SSD but now that support is ending for win 7 I would like to move over to my win 10 install. submitted...
  8. Move a software program from Win 7 to Win 10

Move a software program from Win 7 to Win 10: I have a program on my Windows 7 computer of which I have lost the installation CD . Is there any way to somehow move the program from my old computer to my new Windows 10 OS on my new computer? The program is Omron Health Management Software. I contacted Omron for a new CD....
  9. seeing drives in dual boot win 7/10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    seeing drives in dual boot win 7/10: Thanks in advance for any thoughts, I have a dualboot win 7/10 machine, each system is on it's own ssd, programs are in 2 different folders on a 3rd ssd,all is working fine except: when i'm in 7 I can see the 10 drive which is labeled "E" but i cannot see 7 which is labeled...
  10. Win 7 USB drive not showing in Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 7 USB drive not showing in Win 10: Hi. I have just handed back my work laptop (Win7) and cannot read the USB drive on my home laptop (Win10). I have tried Device Manager and Disk Management approaches. The latter states that my drive has not been initialised. (Which cannot be correct, as I have written...