Windows 10: Need to press quotes and double quotes twice in Windows 10

Discus and support Need to press quotes and double quotes twice in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This problem has been reported many times with previous versions of Windows - and the fix has always been to change the keyboard from US International... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BarrieWynn, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Need to press quotes and double quotes twice in Windows 10

This problem has been reported many times with previous versions of Windows - and the fix has always been to change the keyboard from US International to US Standard.

Brief description of the problem for those not familiar:

Pressing a quote - or double quote - does not appear to do anything. pressing it a second time results in two of the characters appearing on the screen.

It is caused by having an international keyboard installed - where some keys can produce extra characters depending on what you press next.

If you have multiple languages installed, each keyboard can only be installed under one language. I had English Australian and English US as my languages but Australian set as my default language. I was not able to add the Standard keyboard to my Australian language because it was being used by the US language.

I tried deleting the US language - but it took its keyboard with it - making it unavailable.

I had to reinstall the USA language, add a foreign keyboard to the USA language and then remove its USA standard keyboard.

I could then add the USA keyboard to my English Australian language and then delete the USA language - and the keyboard worked as intended.

Unlike previous versions of Windows, I did not have to reboot for it to take effect.

:)

BarrieWynn, Aug 27, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 27, 2020
  3. Harpazo Win User
    "Side-by-side configuration is incorrect"

Good morning. Here are a couple of things to try:

1. Download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable Package:

Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013

Access Denied

2. Run System file checker.

• Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

You could also try running chkdsk /f /r c: (or whichever drive letter you want to check). You'll probably have to boot up using the "advanced options" and select "command prompt."

Hope these help.

Harpazo, Aug 27, 2020
  4. j4v3d Win User

Need to press quotes and double quotes twice in Windows 10

WINDOWS 10: Folders Window Opens Twice On Double Click

Already tried those steps, still no luck at all.

Here are the binary values that were changed before:

Need to press quotes and double quotes twice in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Need to press quotes and double quotes twice in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Any other recommendations? I read somewhere online about Adobe Creative Cloud possibly causing problems? May be wrong.

Anyway that didn't seem to work for me.

Thank you

j4v3d, Aug 27, 2020
Thema:

Need to press quotes and double quotes twice in Windows 10

1. Need to press quotes and double quotes twice in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Need press quotes

2. Single or Double Quote key not working in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Single or Double Quote key not working in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]When you use the Single or Double Quote key on your keyboard to insert quotation marks into a document, you may have noticed that the Quote key is not working on Windows 11/10 properly. And this can frustrate you when you are in the middle of typing up your document...
  3. Stop double quotes on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop double quotes on Windows 11: Let me explain:I have a 60% keyboard with the US layout, I used to use US-INTL to have the ''é'' and etc, but now whenever I type the quote to make an é it does double quotes, I tried everything and nothing is stopping it, can someone help me?I need to have the accents for...
  4. Stop double quotes on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop double quotes on Windows 11: Let me explain:I have a 60% keyboard with the US layout, I used to use US-INTL to have the ''é'' and etc, but now whenever I type the quote to make an é it does double quotes, I tried everything and nothing is stopping it, can someone help me?I need to have the accents for...
  5. Need to press the quote " key twice in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to press the quote " key twice in windows 10: Taken from https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-press-the-quote-key-twice/961fc04f-367f-4527-9724-d0e0a79edb5fPosting again as it may help since above thread is locked. How i solved it in windows 10, since the suggestion/answer given in above did not...
  6. Need to press the quote " key twice in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to press the quote " key twice in windows 10: Taken from https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-press-the-quote-key-twice/961fc04f-367f-4527-9724-d0e0a79edb5fPosting again as it may help since above thread is locked. How i solved it in windows 10, since the suggestion/answer given in above did not...
  7. Need to press the quote " key twice

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need to press the quote " key twice: Hello. I recently bought a keyboard with US layout I'm from Argentina and it is a compact version so I dont have the arrow keys and the numpad. Anyway, I set the windows language for the keyboard on US International because it lets me have the letter ñ by pressing AltR + n...
  8. Quotes in WIndows 10

Quotes in WIndows 10: The problem: when I hit the quote key nothing happens unless I hit it again, then I get two quotes. If I hit quote once and then a vowel, I get an umlaut. This happens in a bunch of different programs including Word, Thunderbird (email), and R Studio. I read previous...
  9. Cannot deactivate autocorrection quotes --> smart quotes

Cannot deactivate autocorrection quotes --> smart quotes: Hello, How to deactivate autocorrection of quotes --> smart quotes in program "Mail" ? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-deactivate-autocorrection-quotes-smart/931c0d84-8a8b-4807-80b9-842b05b8f6eb
  10. Double quotes key requires second key press.

in Windows 10 Support
    Double quotes key requires second key press.: I have four systems, each with a regular+cyrillic keyboard and have been using them for years with Windows 7 & 8.1, switching between the two formats, without a problem. As an aside, a couple of the systems, having bought them in Bulgaria, have non-English messages but the...