Windows 10: Need to reinstall Windows 10, I only have original Windows 7 license key available

Discus and support Need to reinstall Windows 10, I only have original Windows 7 license key available in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, A coworker gave me his old Alienware tower with no hard drives. He had previously installed a paid copy of Windows 10, but cant find the license... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ChristoBo, Nov 17, 2018.

1. ChristoBo Win User

Need to reinstall Windows 10, I only have original Windows 7 license key available

Hi,

A coworker gave me his old Alienware tower with no hard drives. He had previously installed a paid copy of Windows 10, but cant find the license key. I have the original Windows 7 key and restored it on the PC with its new hard drives (using it to write this). I want to reinstall the Windows 10 copy that was previously paired to this machine/motherboard. I'm told I should be able to get the upgrade with the original Windows 7 key, but not sure how. Please help!

Thank you!!

:)

ChristoBo, Nov 17, 2018

2. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Nov 17, 2018
  3. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Your ild keys should work but if you registered the key to your online ms persona (email address) it should be tied to your account , install without a key login with your credentials , then activate.

theoneandonlymrk, Nov 17, 2018
  4. pigulici Win User

Need to reinstall Windows 10, I only have original Windows 7 license key available

How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Yes, still work, no need to call, just be sure to have internet access when you start to install 10, I work at pc shop and did this few days ago, used a key of 7 to put clean 10(wasn't used for upgrade).

pigulici, Nov 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Need to reinstall Windows 10, I only have original Windows 7 license key available - Similar Threads - Need reinstall original

2. i purchased windows 10 home license key to upgrade windows 7 but license key not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i purchased windows 10 home license key to upgrade windows 7 but license key not working: my lap top version is windows 7 and i want to update to windows 10i purchased windows 10 home licence key and this licence key not working when i enter in the upgrade activation number .please inform how to updrade to wndows10...
  3. i purchased windows 10 home license key to upgrade windows 7 but license key not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i purchased windows 10 home license key to upgrade windows 7 but license key not working: my lap top version is windows 7 and i want to update to windows 10i purchased windows 10 home licence key and this licence key not working when i enter in the upgrade activation number .please inform how to updrade to wndows10...
  4. i purchased windows 10 home license key to upgrade windows 7 but license key not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Reinstall windows 11 home again I have original product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall windows 11 home again I have original product key: Hello everyone! I recently purchased a new laptop with windows 11 pre installed in it , but I am facing some issues I think some of its file gets corrupted . I want to re install my window 11 home again , what are the steps , also I have authentic window 11 home product...
  6. Reinstall windows 11 home again I have original product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall windows 11 home again I have original product key: Hello everyone! I recently purchased a new laptop with windows 11 pre installed in it , but I am facing some issues I think some of its file gets corrupted . I want to re install my window 11 home again , what are the steps , also I have authentic window 11 home product...
  7. Windows License key reinstall

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows License key reinstall: read a thread about transferring "Transfer Windows 10 license to SSD" i get what they are saying, but the problem that i have is that i went from windows 7 to windows 10, so do i reinstall windows 7 or 10??...
  8. Reinstalling Windows 10 and new license key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstalling Windows 10 and new license key: Greetings! I am looking for some guidance on my current situation with my Windows 10. So I bought a computer set up for an awesome price a few years ago from an old coworker of mine and now I am in need of updating windows 10 because my current version is running a bit slow....
  9. windows 10 activation reinstalled the original still says i need pass key go to the store...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 activation reinstalled the original still says i need pass key go to the store...: where do you find it in windows store https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-activation-reinstalled-the-original/f22038b7-51c1-4ae4-bb1d-050e5f58832a"
  10. How to reinstall Windows 10 on a laptop that was originally Windows 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to reinstall Windows 10 on a laptop that was originally Windows 7: About 2 years ago, I bought a Windows 7 laptop from Costco and when Windows 10b came out, the laptop had the required specifications to upgrade to Windows 10 for free which I did. Last night, the laptop had a virus and so I used the restore to default settings to bring the...