Windows 10: Need to reinstall Windows 10 on a new SSD from upgraded version

Discus and support Need to reinstall Windows 10 on a new SSD from upgraded version in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate that was upgraded from WinXP Pro. My SSD with the OS is glitching and failing. I think it needs to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Cadillac Bill, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Need to reinstall Windows 10 on a new SSD from upgraded version

I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate that was upgraded from WinXP Pro. My SSD with the OS is glitching and failing. I think it needs to be replaced. This Time I am thinking about a RAID setup with 2 500MB SSD drives.

I have ordered two of these disks from Amazon. Hope they will do what I want. Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SATA III 2.5-Inch 7mm Height Solid State Drive (SSD) with Read Up To 550MB/s- SDSSDHII-480G-G25: Computers Accessories

I never got around to making a recovery disk, but DO have my Windows 7 Ultimate disk that upgraded me from WinXP

What can I do?

:)

Cadillac Bill, Dec 18, 2015

2. HDD to new SSD Question

I'm going to upgrade my laptop with a SSD along side my HDD which currently has windows 10 on it, or course. My question is, is it possible to move that version of windows 10 on the new SSD and boot it from there or do I just have to run a clean version
    from the SSD?

Rodrick Boley, Dec 18, 2015
  3. FairfaxCA Win User
    Can I switch motherboard and cpu and use the old SSD?

I want to upgrade my motherboard, CPU and RAM. I recently upgraded my HDD to a new SSD and did a clean install of W7 then upgraded to W10. Will I be able to just install the new hardware and have Windows boot from the SSD as is? Or will I need to reinstall
    W7 then upgrade to W10 again? Would Microsoft allow me to upgrade again for free?

FairfaxCA, Dec 18, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Need to reinstall Windows 10 on a new SSD from upgraded version

You can perform a clean instillation if you have the ISO for 10. It's already activated for that motherboard so it should be a simple process. Just back up your data first and you're set.

HTH
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Dec 18, 2015
  5. Word Man Win User
    There are several options but most effective two would be:

1) Download the Windows 10 iso to do a clean install on the new disks (having backed up personal data for restore and have product keys needed for reinstalling any 3rd party programs).

2) Use a reliable disk imaging program (e.g., Macrium Reflect Free or Paid) to save current entire disk image to external media and then restore to one new disk as basic and then implement RAID.

In either case, activation through Digital Entitlement that should have been established during WIn10 upgrade shouldn't be a problem.

Word Man, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Need to reinstall Windows 10 on a new SSD from upgraded version

1. Need to reinstall Windows 10 on a new SSD from upgraded version - Similar Threads - Need reinstall SSD

2. Reinstalling The Upgraded Windows 11 on New SSD from Preinstalled OEM Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalling The Upgraded Windows 11 on New SSD from Preinstalled OEM Windows 10: Hello, i have a laptop pre installed with OEM Windows 10 and already upgraded to Windows 11. Now, i am planning to replace my hdd to ssd and use the hdd as secondary storage. I have read several discussions which say that i can just directly reinstall my windows using the...
  3. Reinstalling The Upgraded Windows 11 on New SSD from Preinstalled OEM Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstalling The Upgraded Windows 11 on New SSD from Preinstalled OEM Windows 10: Hello, i have a laptop pre installed with OEM Windows 10 and already upgraded to Windows 11. Now, i am planning to replace my hdd to ssd and use the hdd as secondary storage. I have read several discussions which say that i can just directly reinstall my windows using the...
  4. Reinstall Windows 10 on a new ssd

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstall Windows 10 on a new ssd: Hi, I have a laptop and an old ssd with windows 10 installed, and i would like to switch to a new ssd. Can i just manually remove the old ssd and replace the new ssd and install windows 10 in it without removing windows 10 from the old ssd? This is my 1st time doing this...
  5. Upgrading - need to reinstall windows with new motherboard?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading - need to reinstall windows with new motherboard?: I'm upgrading from a long overdue build from college. I'll be replacing the motherboard and have a full retail windows 10, 64 pro key. Am I going to need to reinstall windows, or can I just drop in the parts and boot up (and install drivers/utilities)? For the curious:...
  6. Reinstallation of Windows 10 on new SSD

Reinstallation of Windows 10 on new SSD: I’ve purchased a new SSD and want to move the OS to the SSD. I also want to use my old TB hard drive as the backup. I wonder if I can get the upgrade to Windows 10 from Window 7 because I previously kept OS on my old TB drive. Is it possible not to reinstall the OS back onto...
  7. Reinstalling Windows 10 (Upgraded Version)

Reinstalling Windows 10 (Upgraded Version): I have a PC whose windows installation is now causing a number of issues. I want to do a clean software build. As I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 (which in turn was from 8), can I just install 8 and Windows Upgrade will do the rest? Thanks Phil...
  8. Upgrading my SSD - Do I need to reinstall Windows?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading my SSD - Do I need to reinstall Windows?: Hi, I have a Samsung SSD 830 Series 128GB 2.5" disk running basically only Windows. I've moved all users folders to my other HDD (Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB) and on this disc all Program Files, games etc. are stored. Now I bought this Western Digital Blue 3D NAND...
  9. Reinstalling an upgrade version of 10

Reinstalling an upgrade version of 10: So I kind of want to install Windows 10 pretty soon. The question is whether or not I will be able to continually reinstall windows 10 afterwards. I'm upgrading from Windows 7 via the free update so I won't have a bootable disc so I'm wondering how I would reinstall Windows...
  10. Reinstalling Windows 10 in new SSD

Reinstalling Windows 10 in new SSD: I have an Asus UX32LN which was upgraded to WIndows 10. I want to replace the HDD to SSD. If I install the Windows 10 in the new SSD, where will I get the product key? Thank you! 22125