Windows 10: Need to Remove Write Protection from a USB

Discus and support Need to Remove Write Protection from a USB in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a 64GB flash drive that I need to format, but when I try, I am told it is Write protected and the protection must be removed. I have seen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by l_turn9, May 26, 2023.

1. l_turn9 Win User

Need to Remove Write Protection from a USB

I have a 64GB flash drive that I need to format, but when I try, I am told it is Write protected and the protection must be removed. I have seen directions about using Regedit, but would feel better getting the direction from you, rather than an unknown group on the 'net. Can you provide some specific instructions?Thx

:)

l_turn9, May 26, 2023
  2. freebird_9924, May 26, 2023
  3. Sher Amo Win User
    USB devices getting write protected

Hi Imdad,

Some removable storage devices like USB flash drives or pen drive have write protection which is designed to help users prevent unexpected data loss by refusing to delete or format.

However, if you’re stuck with a write-protected USB drive that can’t be formatted. We recommend that you follow these steps on how to erase and format a write-protected USB flash drive and pen drive using the Regedit.exe tool in Windows. To do this,
    follow the steps below:

• In the Search box, type regedit and press Enter.
    • Navigate to the following folder:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

Double-click on the WriteProtect value in the right-hand pane of Regedit.exe. Change the Value data from 1 to 0 and click OK to save the change. Close Regedit and restart your computer. Connect your USB flash drive or pen drive again, and you should find the
    write protection is removed and the device is no longer write protected.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection,
    back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article.

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows How to back up and restore the registry in Windows - Microsoft Support.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Sher Amo, May 26, 2023
  4. yahanna Win User

How to Remove Write-Protection from an OEM USB Drive?

I did all that. After I entered, "ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY", I didnt get a prompt stating that the write protect has been removed. But the command prompt stated that disk attributes cleared successfully.

But when I tried to format the USB drive I get a pop up window stating that its still write-protected. Do you have any other suggestions?

yahanna, May 26, 2023
Thema:

1. Need to Remove Write Protection from a USB - Similar Threads - Need Remove Write

2. How to remove write protection on usb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove write protection on usb: I wanted to install windows 8.1 on a windows 7 computer so I put the iso file on a usb drive and made it bootable but after I tried booting from it it said I had to change it to MBR since it was on GPT but I couldn’t because it said it was write protected. How do I fix this I...
  3. How to remove write protection on usb

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove write protection on usb: I wanted to install windows 8.1 on a windows 7 computer so I put the iso file on a usb drive and made it bootable but after I tried booting from it it said I had to change it to MBR since it was on GPT but I couldn’t because it said it was write protected. How do I fix this I...
  4. Remove the write-protection from the disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove the write-protection from the disk: Hello Team,From the last two days when I try to copy and paste any file on my internal Hard disk, I am getting this error The disk is write protected. Remove the Write protection or use another disk.I have tried to clear readonly in CMD using attributes disk clear readonly...
  5. Remove the write-protection from the disk

Remove the write-protection from the disk: Hello Team,From the last two days when I try to copy and paste any file on my internal Hard disk, I am getting this error The disk is write protected. Remove the Write protection or use another disk.I have tried to clear readonly in CMD using attributes disk clear readonly...
  6. Need to Remove Write Protection from a USB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need to Remove Write Protection from a USB: I have a 64GB flash drive that I need to format, but when I try, I am told it is Write protected and the protection must be removed. I have seen directions about using Regedit, but would feel better getting the direction from you, rather than an unknown group on the 'net. Can...
  7. Need to Remove Write Protection from a USB

Need to Remove Write Protection from a USB: I have a 64GB flash drive that I need to format, but when I try, I am told it is Write protected and the protection must be removed. I have seen directions about using Regedit, but would feel better getting the direction from you, rather than an unknown group on the 'net. Can...
  8. How to Remove Write Protection from USB Flash Drive

How to Remove Write Protection from USB Flash Drive: I know this question has been asked before, but nothing I try works. I have tried diskpart; I have tried the registry, and I have tried third-party applications. None of them remove write protection on my flash drive. I seem to have a unique problem than everyone else,...
  9. Remove Write Protection on USB Windows 10

Remove Write Protection on USB Windows 10: Hello, I wanted to put some games o my USB only one of them i had to quit mid transfer so i tried to delete the folder that was in there only suddenly the USB has become write protected, i tried to remove it with CMD but it just went back to Write Protected. If anyone could...
  10. How to Remove Write-Protection from an OEM USB Drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to Remove Write-Protection from an OEM USB Drive?: I got a USB drive from HP with Windows 10 as a recovery. I'm trying to remove the write-protect on it and tried many ways but I cant. Is there a way to do it? 75257